cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

650 CreditWise Score... How to increase?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

650 CreditWise Score... How to increase?

Hello, 

So, the only score I have access to is the one my Capital One app shows me. I recently got a secured card, have been using it for three months. Filed a dispute and got my score up to 650 (from 506). My goal here is to get my score up enough to get a new car.

So, my question now is; what do I do? 

Should I get another secured card? A store card?

If so, what card would you guys reccommend?

17 REPLIES 17
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

Re: 650 CreditWise Score... How to increase?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello, 

So, the only score I have access to is the one my Capital One app shows me. I recently got a secured card, have been using it for three months. Filed a dispute and got my score up to 650 (from 506). My goal here is to get my score up enough to get a new car.

So, my question now is; what do I do? 

Should I get another secured card? A store card?

If so, what card would you guys reccommend?

ignore that score, go to check credit total . com and get a trial for $ 1 and post your 3 real scores here and we can go from there.  don't make a move without having the right info and plan.

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay.

Did that. My scores are as follows.

Experian - 558

TransUnion - 603

Equifax - 571

However, the dispute I filed was just approved two days ago, and when I went to that site they had yet to remove them. But the Creditwise score on the Capiital One app has. Also the most recent payment to my Capital One card has yet to post, which will bring my balance down to $10.00.

Message 3 of 18
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Okay.

Did that. My scores are as follows.

Experian - 558

TransUnion - 603

Equifax - 571

However, the dispute I filed was just approved two days, and when I went to that site they had yet to remove them. But the Creditwise score on the Capiital One app has. Also the most recent payment to my Capital One card has yet to post, which will bring my balance down to $10.00.

excellent and you should be able to break 600 in no time.  go to the cap1 site and see if you pre-qualify for anything and report back - just curious more than anything.  you have a secured mc, yes?  did you get a msg about being enrolled in steps?  if not you need to chat with them online and see if you can get with the program because that will take you where you want to go.  cap1 is a great place to grow from.  what is the cl on that card and what else is holding your scores down?

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

This thread is a great example of how a Vantage 3.0 score (Credit Wise) can be completely different than your FICO 08's.  The OP Credit Wise score was about 50-100 points higher than his FICO 08's depending on the bureau.  That's significant and certainly would have given him false sense of where he stood as he may have been on the cusp of applying for a loan thinking he was in a better place than he actually was.

Message 5 of 18
Pway
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This thread is a great example of how a Vantage 3.0 score (Credit Wise) can be completely different than your FICO 08's.  The OP Credit Wise score was about 50-100 points higher than his FICO 08's depending on the bureau.  That's significant and certainly would have given him false sense of where he stood as he may have been on the cusp of applying for a loan thinking he was in a better place than he actually was.

I agree, excellent example of how your vantage scores are so much different than your fico scores.  My vantage scores are quite lower than my fico scores.  

Is there a particular store that you frequently shop at?  You do not want to load up on those store cards and they never get used.  I would check Capital One pre qual and see what offers they have for you.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I shop everywhere. Which cards would you think are easier to get in my situation?
Message 7 of 18
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I shop everywhere. Which cards would you think are easier to get in my situation?

slow down and read - or not, your choice

are you in steps?

what does the cap1 pre-qualify show?

what is holding your scores down?

what is your current cl?

this is 1+1, in time things can turn around but you need a plan not to just fire off apps with scores like you have.  then all you will end up with is a bunch of low sl or worthless store cards. 

I hope this is clear -- good luck

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure what you mean by steps. I'm new to all of this, just trying to get my credit right. As far as other cards or store cards, I would only be getting them to help my score. I really don't want a card for any reason other than that. I would just buy something every few weeks and pay it off thereafter. 

Just looking for a little direction..

Message 9 of 18
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by steps. I'm new to all of this, just trying to get my credit right. As far as other cards or store cards, I would only be getting them to help my score. I really don't want a card for any reason other than that. I would just buy something every few weeks and pay it off thereafter. 

Just looking for a little direction..

I don’t think I am the best person to give advice here because I am not as patient as some of the other forum members.  I expect when I ask a question that I get a response.  I did not size up this post properly.

CL = credit line.  Steps = a program that cap1 (capital one) has in place that a card holder goes through in a 6 month period to prove their credit worth and they are rewarded with credit line increases if they don’t screw up and pay ontime.

Imo – in my opinion - you should do nothing more than to verify with cap1 that you are in fact enrolled in the steps program and to progress through it.  You can do this via an online chat with them.

I strongly suggest that you use only this single card for 6 months.  Do not apply for more credit because your scores are not that good right now.  You need to get higher scores to get better products with higher starting limits.  Getting a low limit card and fighting to get credit increases often sucks.

At the end of 6 months go to the cap1 pre-qualify page and see what cards, if any, come up and report back here for suggestions and others will reply.

That is what time it is here.  Good luck and have a nice weekend

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.