Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX CLI request denial

tag
Mdowning30
Established Contributor

AMEX CLI request denial

So it was time again to attempt the CLI, which is available for me now that account is 3 months old. But the denial reason was because of my FICO score which the score given in the reasons is wrong and not up to date. My EX Fico 8 is currently 659, but when my score on Amex updated today it was only 639, which doesnt make sense. I tried to recon with their UW rep and they said they couldnt do anything about the inaccuracy. Unfortunately will have to wait another 3 months from now. Anybody have success with a score under 670 ? The rep also said my score would need to be 700 and up or at the very least 670.

I told myself if i couldnt get the increase now i was considering getting the BCE, which would most likely be a soft pull but lower my AAOA.

Chase Freedom Unlimited : $6000 | Discover It Chrome : $3500 | AmEx CS Investor : $6000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred : $5000 | Chase Amazon Prime : $2000 | AmEx Hilton Surpass : $1000 | AmEx Business Plus : $2000 | AmEx Platinum CS : POT $2800 | Tower Federal CU : $15,000 | Lowes Commercial Account : $1,000 | WF Bilt Mastercard : $4,000 | Shell Fleet Plus : $1,000
Total Credit Limit : $42500
Experian FICO 8 : 694
| Experian Vantage : 701 | TransUnion FICO 8 : 683 | TransUnion Vantage : 695 | Experian FICO 9 : 665
Starting Score: 512
Current Score: 693
Goal Score: 700+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
6 REPLIES 6
mfinsmi1
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX CLI request denial

@Mdowning30 its been talked about on here before that amex is usually 30 days behind on updating your fico score 

Personal Cards (Over $100k):

Business Cards:

Rebuilding Starting Scores - December 2021

FICO SCORE 8/9 - Current 1/6/23

Stats: : 3/6; 8/12; 17/24 --- AAoA 3 YRS, 8 MO --- INQ: EX-6/TU-7/EQ-2
Message 2 of 7
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

May I ask why your in the 650 range? Once you pass 700. So many more doors open and makes credit life easier. Sorry for the denial.

Message 3 of 7
Mdowning30
Established Contributor

I have 3 late car payments that are over 2 years old, and had 1 collection account that was counting against me. But over the past month i noticed that the collection account disappeared and no longer on my reports, those are the only delinquencies i have. But Amex still approved my card with those on there, so i dont know why they couldnt let me do an increase, even would have been happy with a 2X counter.

Chase Freedom Unlimited : $6000 | Discover It Chrome : $3500 | AmEx CS Investor : $6000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred : $5000 | Chase Amazon Prime : $2000 | AmEx Hilton Surpass : $1000 | AmEx Business Plus : $2000 | AmEx Platinum CS : POT $2800 | Tower Federal CU : $15,000 | Lowes Commercial Account : $1,000 | WF Bilt Mastercard : $4,000 | Shell Fleet Plus : $1,000
Total Credit Limit : $42500
Experian FICO 8 : 694
| Experian Vantage : 701 | TransUnion FICO 8 : 683 | TransUnion Vantage : 695 | Experian FICO 9 : 665
Starting Score: 512
Current Score: 693
Goal Score: 700+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 7
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Mdowning30 wrote:

I have 3 late car payments that are over 2 years old, and had 1 collection account that was counting against me. But over the past month i noticed that the collection account disappeared and no longer on my reports, those are the only delinquencies i have. But Amex still approved my card with those on there, so i dont know why they couldnt let me do an increase, even would have been happy with a 2X counter.

It's been fairly well documented that Amex will approve you with baddies, but until the baddies pretty much all go away, you'll be on a "short leash" (i.e. not approve any CLIs).

Unfortunately you'll have to just keep working on your credit and keep trying for the CLI, although I feel that you won't be approved for a bit I'm afraid.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 5 of 7
SDMarik
Established Contributor

Is there any reason in particular that you want the CLI or additional card? It might be best to just garden until you are over 700, it really makes things so much easier.

If your signature is accurate, I would consider those lines an absolute gift, considering what your file looks like.

Based on what you said here, even if they do give you the BCE, there is a good chance you get a $1,000 SL that you might be stuck with for a bit.

"When prosperity comes, do not use all of it"
Message 6 of 7
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@SDMarik wrote:

Is there any reason in particular that you want the CLI or additional card? It might be best to just garden until you are over 700, it really makes things so much easier.

If your signature is accurate, I would consider those lines an absolute gift, considering what your file looks like.

Based on what you said here, even if they do give you the BCE, there is a good chance you get a $1,000 SL that you might be stuck with for a bit.

What you said! 

Also, are those your dogs? 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.