cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Gold invitation to apply with 90K MR offer - previously held and downgraded to Green

tag
jojo79
Regular Contributor

AMEX Gold invitation to apply with 90K MR offer - previously held and downgraded to Green

So this is interesting. I've had a Gold card previously which I downgraded to Green. I received this email below which, while enticing, have no desire to accept and affect my AAoA with a new TL that I technically already have, when I could just do an upgrade.

 

Anyone else gotten something like this? Why wouldn't they see I currently hold a chargecard? 

 

Screenshot 2023-11-14 194944.png

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
DakotaM
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX Gold invitation to apply with 90K MR offer - previously held and downgraded to Green

It is possible it is just a marketing email, or maybe AMEX doesn't remember you had a Gold card with them!  They had a public offer for 90k points a few months ago, but that hasn't been around for a while now.  Amex card bonuses in general are once per lifetime though, but they are good about telling you upfront if you aren't eligible.  You could always check the link and see if you get the infamous 'no bonus' pop-up 😅 .



Workers-Credit-UnionWorkers-Credit-Union

Message 2 of 8
GZG
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX Gold invitation to apply with 90K MR offer - previously held and downgraded to Green


@jojo79 wrote:

So this is interesting. I've had a Gold card previously which I downgraded to Green. I received this email below which, while enticing, have no desire to accept and affect my AAoA with a new TL that I technically already have, when I could just do an upgrade.

 

Anyone else gotten something like this? Why wouldn't they see I currently hold a chargecard? 

 

Screenshot 2023-11-14 194944.png


because they want you to have both -- haha 

the offer terms are likely NLL, which means you might be able to get another bonus, with less spending than the current public offer too 

if you have the spend, I would highly consider it, great return here, great offer

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 3 of 8
jojo79
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX Gold invitation to apply with 90K MR offer - previously held and downgraded to Green


@DakotaM wrote:

  You could always check the link and see if you get the infamous 'no bonus' pop-up 😅 .


I just might check... you know, for #myfico science Smiley LOL

Message 4 of 8
jojo79
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX Gold invitation to apply with 90K MR offer - previously held and downgraded to Green

So I tried the link and didn't get any "No Bonus for you" popup or language. I didn't accept the card, I was just curious to see what would happen.

 

It really is an enticing offer though. My current upgrade offer when logged into my account is 15K MR with $1K spend

 

Screenshot 2023-11-15 175505.jpg

Message 5 of 8
GZG
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX Gold invitation to apply with 90K MR offer - previously held and downgraded to Green


@jojo79 wrote:

So I tried the link and didn't get any "No Bonus for you" popup or language. I didn't accept the card, I was just curious to see what would happen.

 

It really is an enticing offer though. My current upgrade offer when logged into my account is 15K MR with $1K spend

 

Screenshot 2023-11-15 175505.jpg


do you have the spend and can you use the credits? 

how much do you value MR? Unless there's something really pretty you want in the near future, or you don't have the spend, I can't imagine this is anything but a no-brainer. Gold is likely going to stay 6k and Plat 8k forever now IMO. 

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 6 of 8
jojo79
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX Gold invitation to apply with 90K MR offer - previously held and downgraded to Green


@GZG wrote:


do you have the spend and can you use the credits? 

how much do you value MR? Unless there's something really pretty you want in the near future, or you don't have the spend, I can't imagine this is anything but a no-brainer. Gold is likely going to stay 6k and Plat 8k forever now IMO. 


I can definitely meet the spend and could use the points for some planned travel next year and also for online shopping, but I'll pass for now.


In other news; I just go another email from one of my other AMEX cards, with an offer for the Platinum card; $80K points with 6K spend in 6 months. AMEX seems to be really pushing for new applications!

Message 7 of 8
Zoostation1
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX Gold invitation to apply with 90K MR offer - previously held and downgraded to Green

@jojo79The 90k Gold offer is a very solid elevated offer but the 80k Platinum offer isn't anything to write home about and IIRC is the standard base offer. My only Amex is a BCP, and until this week I never showed over 60k for gold when logged in (all of mine were the base level subs) and now I'm getting that 90k offer when I'm logged in and 75k if i use an in private/incongito/etc browser tab.  I don't have a great use case for the Amex charge cards so I'm not going down that road but still nice to see an offer for once.

Rebuild Started Nov 2021
June 2022 FICO 8:
June 2022 FICO 9:
May 2024 FICO 8:
May 2024 FICO 9:
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.