cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Platinum or Hilton Honors Aspire or Delta Reserve or another premium card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Platinum or Hilton Honors Aspire or Delta Reserve or another premium card?

I would like to start off by saying, in my mind I have already made a decision (I think), however I am looking for input from others; people who have actually been through the application process, have / had the card, or have more suggestions. I have been going back and forth trying to make a decision and since I have decided to pull the trigger on my decision (whatever it maybe) in the next 3 months, I thought I would get one last set of eyes / ears on my decision (I say "last" but who am I kidding). I am looking for all feedback (from customer service to qualifications - virtually anything could really be a deal breaker). So..... here goes:

I will now (probably indefinitely) be doing loads more traveling (personal & business - mainly personal). This will be international and domestic. What I am looking for in a card are the perks. I am not really concerned with the Welcome Offer (Points / Miles - although I am not going to pass on them) as much as lounge access and and some form of an airline credit on a yearly basis. The TSA PreCheck / Global Entry credit that I have seen floating around with some of the other cards also sounds nice. The AF also is not a real concern for me. I am not saying I am Bill Gates, but being single and having no kids, I am not concerned with some being $450, $499 or $550. I am prepared to pay any of them if they have most of what I want an ALL of what I need. I guess these are the things that I am looking for: 

1. Lounge Access (whenever I travel - preferribly Priority Pass Select)

2. TSA PreCheck / Global Entry Credit

3. Upgraded Status (airline and / or hotel)

* Bonus: Special Offers, Exclusive Deals

Now, I am aware that some of the premimum cards are for dedicated airlines. My home airport is fortunately LAX which has a hub for just about all of the major airlines. I also realize that in order to access them I would need to be flying that airline, which is why I am so torn. If I am being honest, I do not really want to be stuck to one airline. Amoung the few cards that I have, one happens to be a Gold Delta AMEX, which I intend on keeping and possibly downgrading to the Blue Delta Amex to keep the free checked bag and drop the AF (plus getting me the $29 access to the lounge should I want to use the Delta Sky Lounge). I just really want to make the correct decision. I do pay all of my credit cards off in full at the end of each month, so the possibility of a Charge Card does not scare me (especially now that I have found out that it will not hurt my credit score by not having an actual spending limit). Ultimatelt I might not use the card 100%, but I need everything I mentioned above. The cards that I have looked at so far are: Chase Sapphire Reserve, Ritz Carlton Card, AMEX Platinum, Citi Prestige, AAdvantage World Elite, United Club Card, Delta Reserve, Hilton Honors Aspire and Hilton Honors Ascend. 

HELP!! Smiley Happy

All comments and feedback is appreciated. 

Current Cards: Capital One Quicksilver One | Capital One Quicksilver | Credit One Bank Visa | Gold Delta AMEX

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Platinum or Hilton Honors Aspire or Delta Reserve or another premium card?

I know you may not be into points and sign-up bonuses but since you have only four cards, get the Chase Sapphire Reserve first and then chose one of the others in the same or next day.  We can go into that later...  but really consider this one ASAP so you don't get locked out of their ecosystem early and or accidentally.

Most of your wants are around exec type / VIP type privileges.   With that being said, nothing has more than the AMEX Platinum.   Outside of the usual posted benefits, once signed up there are a ton of more perks added (Avis/ Hertz and National status upgrades receiving car upgrades, expedited check-out and free weekend rentals, etc), roadside assistance 4 times a year, significant cruise lines perks, etc.

Then the more celebrated and valuable in my opinion are the instant Gold Class status at SPG and Hilton.   I didn't see a ton of value from SPG Gold at their hotels (minor room upgrades if granted when asking) but once at Platinum they are fantastic - Exec lounge access (breakfast, evening hors d'oeurves/ drinks) and upgrades to suites and late checkout.   Hilton was good as well as they provide breakfast and or lounge access at Gold but less room upgrades. 

However, by introducing Marriott into the fold (via SPG partnership status match), their Gold program wins as it has consistent room upgrades (non-suites), lounge access and breakfast too.   If you can sign up for a Marriott Platinum status challenge and complete 9 stays in four months, that matches into SPG platinum and even better, United Silver status.   No other card I've seen gives airline status without spending on their own flights.

Also, any of the main cards give Priority Pass access which is terribly underwhelming in the US yet the AMEX Platinum gives access to the Centurion Lounges.  All lounges suffer crowding but AMEX's are on an another level compared to PP.  

And lastly, its hard to understand how you aren't interested in the points since they partner so well with your travel goals but if true, you still cannot disregard this signup perk which separates the AMEX platinum in this debate.  The AMEX Platinum has a couple offers out there you may still get 75k points or a recent 100k signup bonus.   After getting the card you'll have to spend $5k for the points bonus.   iIf you buy any airfare with that its 5x points via AMEX or directly with the airlines.    You'll be looking at anywhere from 70k (public offer) to 80k -90k, etc.   

75k-100k AMEX points can be easily transferred to a few airlines for a round trip ticket in business class to Asia from North America.  Even cheaper to Europe.

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Platinum or Hilton Honors Aspire or Delta Reserve or another premium card?

First off, THANK YOU!!! I really appreciate this perspective! You just really made me remember some things that I could have probably forgotten.

Yes, I do understand what you mean regarding the CSR. That has gone through my mind many times and if I remember correctly, I think I put that out of my mind because of 2 of my cards reaching 2yrs at the end of this year or a month or so off. I think I weighed out the fact that I’d really focus on using that card (the new premium card) for at least 6 month before running and putting on another HP. I guess I am Still credit conscious, and am trying to avoid a lot of unnecessary pulls, not resulting in an account. Nevertheless, I am still in a position where the CSR (in some months) will be on the table.

When I say I am not really into points, I should clarify that I am referring to the Welcome Offer. Meaning, if one has 100K after $4K in 3 months (Aspire) and the other is 60K after $5K in 3 months (Plat), that would not be a determining factor. Earning points / rewards is VERY much so something I would be reaching for - I should have been a little more clear. This is my first post... LOL!

Ultimately I was originally looking at getting a card that would come along with some VIP /Cool features, mainly lounge access. Although Priopity Pass might have underwhelming lounges, being in a position where I don’t really have to stick with one airline to get in that lounge makes me feel a little better. I guess that’s just my interests. However, I am going to definitely give a small side eye to Priority Pass if the lounges feel like rat traps. LOL! The fact that you felt it necessary to touch on that must mean that it’s something that I should know. I’ve only been in a Delta lounge in LAX & JFK so they have been cool (especially with the updates in LAX for Delta One).

Sounds like your vote is to grab the CSR and the in the same day or shortly after the AMEX Platinum. Sounds good. I do like AMEX, and would like to stay in their group. So much to think about...
Message 3 of 15
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

FYI when you downgrade to Delta Blue you lose the free checked bag, priority boarding, and discounted Sky Club access.

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, you’re right. I guess I will have to keep the Gold. UGH!! I feel like there are so many things for me to consider in making just the right move.
Message 5 of 15
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

wrote:

I would like to start off by saying, in my mind I have already made a decision (I think), however I am looking for input from others; people who have actually been through the application process, have / had the card, or have more suggestions. I have been going back and forth trying to make a decision and since I have decided to pull the trigger on my decision (whatever it maybe) in the next 3 months, I thought I would get one last set of eyes / ears on my decision (I say "last" but who am I kidding). I am looking for all feedback (from customer service to qualifications - virtually anything could really be a deal breaker). So..... here goes:

I will now (probably indefinitely) be doing loads more traveling (personal & business - mainly personal). This will be international and domestic. What I am looking for in a card are the perks. I am not really concerned with the Welcome Offer (Points / Miles - although I am not going to pass on them) as much as lounge access and and some form of an airline credit on a yearly basis. The TSA PreCheck / Global Entry credit that I have seen floating around with some of the other cards also sounds nice. The AF also is not a real concern for me. I am not saying I am Bill Gates, but being single and having no kids, I am not concerned with some being $450, $499 or $550. I am prepared to pay any of them if they have most of what I want an ALL of what I need. I guess these are the things that I am looking for: 

1. Lounge Access (whenever I travel - preferribly Priority Pass Select)

2. TSA PreCheck / Global Entry Credit

3. Upgraded Status (airline and / or hotel)

* Bonus: Special Offers, Exclusive Deals

Now, I am aware that some of the premimum cards are for dedicated airlines. My home airport is fortunately LAX which has a hub for just about all of the major airlines. I also realize that in order to access them I would need to be flying that airline, which is why I am so torn. If I am being honest, I do not really want to be stuck to one airline. Amoung the few cards that I have, one happens to be a Gold Delta AMEX, which I intend on keeping and possibly downgrading to the Blue Delta Amex to keep the free checked bag and drop the AF (plus getting me the $29 access to the lounge should I want to use the Delta Sky Lounge). I just really want to make the correct decision. I do pay all of my credit cards off in full at the end of each month, so the possibility of a Charge Card does not scare me (especially now that I have found out that it will not hurt my credit score by not having an actual spending limit). Ultimatelt I might not use the card 100%, but I need everything I mentioned above. The cards that I have looked at so far are: Chase Sapphire Reserve, Ritz Carlton Card, AMEX Platinum, Citi Prestige, AAdvantage World Elite, United Club Card, Delta Reserve, Hilton Honors Aspire and Hilton Honors Ascend. 

HELP!! Smiley Happy

All comments and feedback is appreciated. 

Current Cards: Capital One Quicksilver One | Capital One Quicksilver | Credit One Bank Visa | Gold Delta AMEX

For what you are looking for I think Amex Platinum is the card you want to have in your wallet when you travel. That (literally) opens doors.

There are lots of other cards you may benefit from, depending on the cards' "travel partners" etc, but the one card you should not be without is the Amex Platinum.

Total revolving limits 650200 (530700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 706 TU 719 EX 718

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much!! Smiley Happy

The AMEX Platinum is the card that I am considering. I was fearful of it before because of some folks saying that it hurt their credit scores by not using it regularly. From what I have been seeing so far I am STRONGLY leaning towards it. I really want to make the right decision.
Message 7 of 15
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

A few things. I would either apply for AMEX Delta Reserve (for SUB) or call AMEX and product change the Delta Gold to Delta Reserve. Benefits include annual free companion pass in First Class.

Then app for AMEX Platinum charge which will supercharge your SkyMiles.

Sounds like you fly Delta (I do too) and all status SkyMiles bonuses would be complemented by the 5X MR points with AMEX.

EG. If you have Delta Platinum status a $1000 flight in Delta One to Hawaii would net you 10,000 SkyMiles. When the flight is purchased with the AMEX Platinum you would get $5000 MR points which you can transfer to Delta 1:1 for SkyMiles for a total of 15000 SkyMiles for that one flight.
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

In going through all of the AMEX Platinum benefits and perks, it’s a 99% chance that’s one of the cards that I am going to go for. Now my home airport is LAX and Delta does have a main HUB there, so I am definitely going to keep a Delta branded card of some sort. I’d heard that some of the Priority Pass Select lounges are not the best, so having the Reserve would allow access to that Lounge (if I’m riding Delta - Especially because the AMEX Platinum advertises access to about 20-30 SkyClub Lounges and the Reserve shows over 230 lounges).

Decisions, decisions. I don’t have many cards so I am going to take this time to really think about the ones I select, so when I need to do something, I already have the perfect card! I want to make sure that I am covered all the way around.

Thank you so much, this REALLY gives me more to think about. ☺️
Message 9 of 15
topgunvf
Regular Contributor

AMEX Platinum OP. Literally as I read your checklist of must haves I thought I was reading the benefits of the card on Amex's site. I know you mentioned you're not concerned with points but currently they're offering 60,000 with 100,000 MR's being targeted to some folks. What's nice about the Platinum that I find even if you only travel overseas once, the Global Entry fee paid by Amex is worth it. Plus, not everyone knows that with Global Entry TSA pre-check automatically enrolled so 2 for 1. Hope this helps, though I am AMEX biased Smiley Happy  

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.