Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX application denied. No hard hit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX application denied. No hard hit?

Hey

I applied for a AMEX card for my wife (everyday credit card) and she was instantly denied. This was about two weeks ago.

I checked her EQ and TU report on credit karma today and they did not pull a credit report from those two agencies. Still waiting on a letter from them explaining why she was declined.

Any ideas why she would get an instant denial and they didnt pull a report from TU or EQ?

She hasnt has any AMEX card previously.

thanks!

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX application denied. No hard hit?

AMEX almost always pull EX

Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

and if she's a current member then it isn't a HP
Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied as well and I got hit for TU and EQ. Maybe because my history is fairly new. She isn't an existing member.

Anyplace I can check experian report without paying?
Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I applied as well and I got hit for TU and EQ. Maybe because my history is fairly new. She isn't an existing member.

Anyplace I can check experian report without paying?

Not sure if there is any place to check for free (other than her free annual credit report)  but you can almost guarantee she received an inquiry on Experian

Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does Creditseasame pull from EX? Checked on there and no hit reported in October from Amex.

I'm just curious because she said she tried applying a few years back and was instant denial as well.
Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is credit.com that pulls Experian, creditsesame.com pulls Transunion. Just remember that the scores they give are not fico scores but they will give you a glimpse to what is in your credit report. 

Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Might depend on her income. I remember a few months back I applied for a Cap 1 Venture and was instant declined. I was sure I would get triple pulled and that would be a wasted attempt. But when I called in that day to see why I was denied they stated it was due to insufficient income and didn't even pull a report...

Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you both! I'll have her call tomorrow and ask why she was denied.
Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can check their application status website, it usually has the info on a details link. If you plan to reconsider it I would recommend you wait for the denial letter so that you know the fico score since a recon with them usually involves a second hp. Good luck. 

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.