Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX asking proof of Income.

tag
Ladyofthelake
Established Member

AMEX asking proof of Income.

Hello. All. I am new to this forum. 

I applied America express gold card, as well as delta blue card. Both of appliation were on hold, AMEX wants me to  fill out a form, so they can get my tax return. I am unwilling to do so, I will let my application expired. 

If I repplay after 6 moths and put a lower annual income on the card application, will I likely to be approved or will I still be asked to prove of income? 

Please share your insighs. Thank you, all. 

I love good checking accounts and credit cards.
Message 1 of 43
42 REPLIES 42
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX asking prove of Income.

You will not be approved for anything until you verify your income.

Message 2 of 43
Ladyofthelake
Established Member

Please share your wisdom with me. 

Message 3 of 43
Ladyofthelake
Established Member

Thank you so much for your reply. 

That's mean even after a year or two I reapply. I will be asked for prove of income again? 

@GatorGuy wrote:

You will not be approved for anything until you verify your income.

Message 4 of 43
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Ladyofthelake wrote:

I applied America express gold card, as well as delta blue card. Both of appliation were on hold, AMEX wants me to  fill out a form, so they can get my tax return. I am unwilling to do so, I will let my application expired. 

If I repplay after 6 moths and put a lower annual income on the card application, will I likely to be approved or will I still be asked to prove of income? 

Hi and welcome to myFICO

Why would you put a lower income? Did you embellish income on application?

For future reference, it is always best to put the income you file with IRS. There are reports that FIs have access to that show your income. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 5 of 43
Ladyofthelake
Established Member

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Ladyofthelake wrote:

Hi and welcome to myFICO

For future reference, it is always best to put the income you file with IRS. There are reports that FIs have access to that show your income. 

Thank you for replying. The truth is actually I am taking care of a family member, he pays my expensives, I don't have a reportable job on paper. I do want to establish a relationship with AMEX. If I reapply again in the future, will I be asked to provide income again? 

Message 6 of 43
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

The issuers through a variety of means are often able to either themselves or through a 3rd party service to either confirm or approximate with a high degree of confidence ones income.  If they aren't able to do that it's common to request proof of income either through recent pay statements or, as AMEX typically does, request to review your last 1-2 years federal tax returns via an IRS 4506-C request.

Unless there is reason to believe that they will be able to determine your income in 6-12 months using the same techniques that currently fail them there is no reason to believe that you wouldn't be asked to provide income again.     Putting in a lower figure for your income wouldn't be a reliable workaround.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 7 of 43
HeavyResist
Frequent Contributor

@Ladyofthelake wrote:

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Ladyofthelake wrote:

Hi and welcome to myFICO

Thank you for replying. The truth is actually I am taking care of a family member, he pays my expensives, I don't have a reportable job on paper. I do want to establish a relationship with AMEX. If I reapply again in the future, will I be asked to provide income again? 

My advice; dont apply for Amex again until you have verifiable employment and income, or are married with household income. Here's why...

1) Amex has some of the most sophisticated anti-fraud systems that monitor behavior and make decisions. They have flagged you, and you will stay flagged until you give them what they want. 

2) These systems usually know if you are employed and often with whom. If you arent employed, how will you pay the bill for your Amex?

3) Income matters, always. If you dont have income, you usually wont get a card. You need verifiable income. If they asked you for proof of income, you will always be asked that by Amex.

Amex is no joke, and they are dead serious when they ask for something. While they do accept people with lower credit scores, they watch their customers like a hawk. Dont ruin your potential relationship with them by doing things that set off their alarm bells. Dont apply again until you have household income.

Message 8 of 43
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

As others have stated. Unless you have verifiable income then I wouldn't apply again and yes they will probably ask in the future for you to verify your income . You applied with no income to verify .

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 9 of 43
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

LadyFerg,

You will need to send you POI. Amex will never approve you for anything.  They have a long memory and remember everything.  

Guyatthebeach

Message 10 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.