Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX disappointment

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX disappointment

Fred:

I am not really sure what you mean by AMEX having charge cards, if you mean that they provide some type of store card, I would not wish to get one. I have used a lot of credit score simulators and most show that a store card would either do nothing or actually drop my score. I am mainly focused on getting 3 bank credit cards just for reporting purposes to help improve my score. As for the closed and paid accounts on my Experian, I have one store card, 1 bank credit card and 4 or 5 installment loans all showing as positive and closed accounts. Thank you again for your advice Fred, I appreciate it.

Message 11 of 19
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Fred:

I am not really sure what you mean by AMEX having charge cards, if you mean that they provide some type of store card, I would not wish to get one. I have used a lot of credit score simulators and most show that a store card would either do nothing or actually drop my score. I am mainly focused on getting 3 bank credit cards just for reporting purposes to help improve my score. As for the closed and paid accounts on my Experian, I have one store card, 1 bank credit card and 4 or 5 installment loans all showing as positive and closed accounts. Thank you again for your advice Fred, I appreciate it.

An Amex charge card is not a store card. Its a card that is NPSL but has to paid in full every month, no revolving credit line. It can be used anywhere Amex is accepted just like one of their revolving cards can.

Message 12 of 19
NRB525
Super Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Fred:

An Amex charge card is not a store card. Its a card that is NPSL but has to paid in full every month, no revolving credit line. It can be used anywhere Amex is accepted just like one of their revolving cards can.

+1

And thus I would suggest doing some more research to understand the differences.

OP, you noted they said your cards did not have high enough limits? Which cards do you have now? CL? Open amounts? How long have these specific cards been open?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was not referring to a store card but rather this one; {Sorry MOD for the link}

https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/premier-rewards-gold/25330

This strategy allows you to get in with AMEX and often times a Charge card>CC would do the trick. I am,however,suprised that AMEX did not approve you with all that on your EX. Again, please stay strong, you have come along way. Just give another three months and you will be fine. Please remember that any HP with AMEX is good for 30 days for RECON purposes. 

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear that.  Keep going, you're doing great!  One day you'll look back & laugh at this because things will be better than what you expected! Smiley Wink

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you gdale for the clarification.

Thank you Fred for the further info, I appreciate it.

you wrote Please remember that any HP with AMEX is good for 30 days for RECON purposesThat would make sense to me, but that is one of the reasons I was so bent out of shape about the dealing with AMEX as when I asked their rep for reconsideration she said that they would have to do another hard pull to reconsider. That did not sound right to me at all and now with what you say I am starting to think that the rep did not know what she was talking about. Maybe I will call them tomorrow and try to get a helpful rep and give recon another go, but no way will I let them do another hard pull.

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you gdale for the clarification.

Thank you Fred for the further info, I appreciate it.

you wrote Please remember that any HP with AMEX is good for 30 days for RECON purposesThat would make sense to me, but that is one of the reasons I was so bent out of shape about the dealing with AMEX as when I asked their rep for reconsideration she said that they would have to do another hard pull to reconsider. That did not sound right to me at all and now with what you say I am starting to think that the rep did not know what she was talking about. Maybe I will call them tomorrow and try to get a helpful rep and give recon another go, but no way will I let them do another hard pull.

AMEX recon is almost always another HP on your EX.

Message 17 of 19
biglista88
Regular Contributor

Congrats on your rebuild successes! Don't feel bad about the AMEX denial. I was denied with a 712 fico and no baddies. Lol I have good cash flow and charge thousands to my NFCU card monthly then PIF. I decided I have no need for these companies who deny people for random nonsensical reasons.
REBUILD STARTED (AGAIN) 9/1/2023

Current Scores 4/4/24

“Breathing new life into a dead credit file”
Message 18 of 19
taxi818
Super Contributor

@biglista88 wrote:
Congrats on your rebuild successes! Don't feel bad about the AMEX denial. I was denied with a 712 fico and no baddies. Lol I have good cash flow and charge thousands to my NFCU card monthly then PIF. I decided I have no need for these companies who deny people for random nonsensical reasons.

While i may agree it is never nice to be denied. I don't think it is nonsense from the standpoint of the lender. sure. op score is higher than many that got amex. even higher than mine when i first got my amex. i think it was 661 at the time.there is no way to say all baddies are the same. someone with a 660 because their utilization is at 80 percent is different than someone at 660 with chargeoffs. collections repos. etc.... while i also sympithize with op. i also always keep in mind. its just business and never is personal. risk vs reward for these banks. im sure op will be fine as others stated time is the healer of all. even correct just one more baddie. but no way do i  call these denials nonsense as they would be out of business if they took that approach and approved every single card. op has done a fine job. agreed. just a little more and im sure amex will come knocking at his door. good luck op.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.