Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utlization and Applying

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Utlization and Applying

Hey guys,

I've been prequalified for the Capital One Venture via their website, 17.9% APR. My current utilization right now is 27%, all on one card out of 5. I had planned on paying that down to 1% and letting it update before applying, but I just found out I'll be using that money for a new apartment in two weeks, and with the combination of first month, last month, and security deposit, I don't feel like paying down my card that low, (I like keeping a certain amount in my bank account, just in case). The payment I'm going to make now will take my util down to 15%, but I was wondering if there was really a difference in applying with a 27% util vs 15%, because if not, I'll just apply now and be done with it.

Appreciate any insight!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Utlization and Applying

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey guys,

I've been prequalified for the Capital One Venture via their website, 17.9% APR. My current utilization right now is 27%, all on one card out of 5. I had planned on paying that down to 1% and letting it update before applying, but I just found out I'll be using that money for a new apartment in two weeks, and with the combination of first month, last month, and security deposit, I don't feel like paying down my card that low, (I like keeping a certain amount in my bank account, just in case). The payment I'm going to make now will take my util down to 15%, but I was wondering if there was really a difference in applying with a 27% util vs 15%, because if not, I'll just apply now and be done with it.

Appreciate any insight!

More then likely the difference won't make that much of a difference.  I'd say go ahead and apply.

Message 2 of 4
tonyjones
Valued Contributor

As long as your under 30% I don't think any lenders really care.

Current Fico Scores: (December 2023)
Message 3 of 4
TURNERHOOVER
Established Contributor

@tonyjones wrote:

As long as your under 30% I don't think any lenders really care.

+1

EX 727 | EQ 720 | TU 740

FREEDOM 4.5k | BCP 9.5k | DISCOVER 2.5k | ARRIVAL+ 7.5k | RITZ CARLTON 15k
No new Apps till Dec 2016
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.