Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX pre-approvals time frame

tag
dsotm76
Frequent Contributor

AMEX pre-approvals time frame

Hi everyone!!

So, about a month ago, I got the Hilton Honors card with AMEX, which I really have enjoyed so far.  A couple of days ago, I got this very nicely presented purple envelope from AMEX for their Gold Premier Rewards charge card.  Apparently it's pre-approved.  (The annual fee may outweigh the perks though.)  Also, when I log in, the offer is presented in my account feed.  I got to nosing around and see where other AMEX cards are pre-qualified, just like my Hilton one was.  My question is what is the time limit applying between cards with AMEX?  The only other one I'm kinda in the market for might be the Delta card and giving that to the other half to use to rack up some miles.  (SN - Can anyone provide feedback on the Delta program and how well it works domestically and internationally?)

As always, I appreciate the feedback.  :-)

BCE AMEX ($16200) - Citi DC ($11600) - Chase Sapphire Preferred ($10200) - Nordstrom Visa Signature ($10000) - Best Buy Citi Visa ($9950) - Chase Freedom Flex ($7700) - NHL Discover IT ($7000) - Apple Card ($6000) - Delta Gold AMEX ($6000) - Hilton Honors AMEX ($5000) - Barclay View ($5000)

Closed - Capital One Secured ($500) - It is not in my wallet. :-) - Sony/Sync ($2400)

Goal - To get in with Chase. Smiley Very Happy (ACHIEVED!)
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX pre-approvals time frame

You could always transfer SUB points to delta from PRG if you decide to “test drive” it for a year and then potentially pick up delta points if you opt for that card to add to the PRG points. Then use other MR points in conjunction with your Hilton or for other travel expenses like rental cars etc. 100 airline credit is nice too for offsetting checked bags etc.

As far as time frame I have to imagine that once you’re pre approved you’ll stay preapproved unless something incredibly drastic happens to your report.
Message 2 of 10
dsotm76
Frequent Contributor

Hmm, I had not thought of that.  Definitely something to think about.

With the time frame, I meant more with applying for various AMEX cards, since I have only had the Hilton one about a month now.

BCE AMEX ($16200) - Citi DC ($11600) - Chase Sapphire Preferred ($10200) - Nordstrom Visa Signature ($10000) - Best Buy Citi Visa ($9950) - Chase Freedom Flex ($7700) - NHL Discover IT ($7000) - Apple Card ($6000) - Delta Gold AMEX ($6000) - Hilton Honors AMEX ($5000) - Barclay View ($5000)

Closed - Capital One Secured ($500) - It is not in my wallet. :-) - Sony/Sync ($2400)

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well revolvers and charge cards have different rules. So you could theoretically get PRG and delta on the same day as far as I know.
Message 4 of 10
drboxing
Established Contributor

I have the Delta Platinum card. If you fly Delta airlines, its definitely a plus to have. the perks work for me, not crazy about the annual fee but again perks work for me.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

For credit cards, I believe the rule is 1 approved card every 5 days and 2 credit cards every 90 days. The charge cards like PRG, Platinum, Green card do not count toward this rule. The charge cards seem to have no rules.

Message 6 of 10
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

For credit cards, I believe the rule is 1 approved card every 5 days and 2 credit cards every 90 days. The charge cards like PRG, Platinum, Green card do not count toward this rule. The charge cards seem to have no rules.

^This. You can have as many charge cards as your credit profile will support. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 7 of 10
dsotm76
Frequent Contributor

Thank you both so much for clarifying the timeframe on that.  I didn't want to app too quickly, if I go for the SkyMiles one, after my Hilton Honors one.  

Just curious about something.  Is a Charge Card any different on a FICO profile than a Credit Card?  I know the difference between the two, but wanted to find out if there's a benefit of having a Charge Card on my FICO.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Exactly! I was pre-qualified and applied for AMEX ED in early Feb (2/8/18). I was pre-approved (SP) for Hilton Ascend in late-March (3/21/2018). Today, I just checked and I am pre-approved for every card on the site. I am 97 days removed from my first application. 

Technically, you're still able to pull another app, but I would truly do it if you are pre-approved. As this will result in no HP, just an additional account opened. 

Message 9 of 10
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@dsotm76 wrote:

Just curious about something.  Is a Charge Card any different on a FICO profile than a Credit Card?  I know the difference between the two, but wanted to find out if there's a benefit of having a Charge Card on my FICO.

There's no extra points benefits, if that's what you're asking. The main difference is a credit card is going to report a balance plus utilization from that balance, where as a charge card will only report the amount owed. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.