cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Affinity Automatically Applied Me for Credit Card?

tag
inth3moment

Affinity Automatically Applied Me for Credit Card?

I applied for membership at Affinity a few days ago 1/1/22.

I also looked at the Cash Rewards Credit Card just to see what the rewards were.

I specifically made a point not to apply for the card because I wanted to try to get membership first.

I recevied an email yesterday saying I was conditionally approved for the Cash Rewards credit card despite never submitting an application for the card.

Today they denied me after an underwriter called me to confirm a few identity questions that I answered correctly.

Has this happened to anyone else?

In case this helps, reasons for denial were:

Excessive obligations in relation to income

Too many new accounts established

My main issue is that they applied me for the card without me actually having applied.

Also, does anyone have any tips for recon? I have nothing to lose at this point since they already did HP.

Would offering to go there in person to apply for something achieve anything?

Thank you in advance for any input you can provide.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
GZG
Valued Contributor

Re: Affinity Automatically Applied Me for Credit Card?

@inth3moment wrote:

My main issue is that they applied me for the card without me actually having applied.

They didn't apply you for the card, you applied for the card after getting their promotional/advertising materials about the card.

They likely soft pulled your credit when you submitted your application and used they that information in a more limited capacity to see if they wanted to advertise their credit card to you.

After you recieved that advertisement, you applied for the credit card and when they looked deeper into your application, they declined the application.

I'm sure others will have more DPs about recon when it comes to Affinity.

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 2 of 7
inth3moment

@GZG wrote:

@inth3moment wrote:

They didn't apply you for the card, you applied for the card after getting their promotional/advertising materials about the card.

They likely soft pulled your credit when you submitted your application and used they that information in a more limited capacity to see if they wanted to advertise their credit card to you.

After you recieved that advertisement, you applied for the credit card and when they looked deeper into your application, they declined the application.

I'm sure others will have more DPs about recon when it comes to Affinity.

I really don't think I applied for the card. They had me second and triple guessing myself though.

But I remember when I first went to the Affinity site, I told myself I was already at 4 inquiries and didn't need anymore and would just start with the membership there (or so I thought).

The next thing I know they send me an email saying I was conditionally approved for the Cash Rewards card. 

I know I didn't apply for the card after that because they told me I was already conditionally approved. They just asked for my business tax returns and my social security card.

I could definitely be missing something here but that was my experience anyways.

Message 3 of 7
mfinsmi1
Established Contributor

@inth3moment did you enter your social income any other information when you were on the site? i feel like you would know if you applied dont doubt yourself i would call and inquire about how it happened

Personal Cards (Over $100k):

Business Cards:

Rebuilding Starting Scores - December 2021

FICO SCORE 8/9 - Current 1/6/23

Stats: : 3/6; 8/12; 17/24 --- AAoA 3 YRS, 8 MO --- INQ: EX-6/TU-7/EQ-2
Message 4 of 7
inth3moment

@mfinsmi1 wrote:

@inth3moment did you enter your social income any other information when you were on the site? i feel like you would know if you applied dont doubt yourself i would call and inquire about how it happened

Yes for sure, they asked me for all of my personal information including my social and identity verification questions when I was filling out the membership application online. 

I was just testing the waters here to see if anyone else had a similar experience.

I will call tomorrow. I'm hoping, like some others here have referenced, that I might be able to turn the app into some other lending product if they don't want to give me the Cash Rewards card, but if they also denied my membership (which I think they did) then maybe I'm just SOL.

Message 5 of 7
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Welcome @inth3moment 

You sure you only hit this?

acu.JPG

Message 6 of 7
inth3moment

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Welcome @inth3moment 

You sure you only hit this?

acu.JPG

I am 99% sure I did because I originally looked at the Cash Rewards Credit Card and then decided I would apply for membership first before applying for the card to try and improve my chances for approval (not even sure if it actually works like this but that was my thinking).

I was also super confused when I saw an email in my inbox saying I was conditionally approved for the credit card. I have been known to be absentminded at times but this would be a stretch even for me.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Affinity-Cash-Rewards-Visa-Signature-Approval...

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.