Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon CLI denied; interesting reason

tag
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

Amazon CLI denied; interesting reason

Last night I tried for a CLI on my Amazon Prime Store card (from Synchrony). I had forgotten (until I looked at my financial file today) that I had tried, and failed, two months ago. I failed this time, too. Instant denial. Today I received a link to a letter with the explanation; here's the reason it was denied:

"The requested amount exceeds the limits set by our credit policy"

Does anyone know what that limit is?

My current CL is $10,000; I'm not sure, but I think I requested $15,000 the last time and $14,000 this time. If no one knows for sure, I guess I'll just keep stepping down until I hit the magic number! But what if it's $10,000? Then there's no point bothering. I hope someone knows the answer.

It seems odd to me the way they handle it. If the amount requested exceeds their limit, why don't they counter with an amount that doesn't exceed it? Or at least tell me what the limit is?

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amazon CLI denied; interesting reason

@SoCalGardener wrote:

Last night I tried for a CLI on my Amazon Prime Store card (from Synchrony). I had forgotten (until I looked at my financial file today) that I had tried, and failed, two months ago. I failed this time, too. Instant denial. Today I received a link to a letter with the explanation; here's the reason it was denied:

My current CL is $10,000; I'm not sure, but I think I requested $15,000 the last time and $14,000 this time. If no one knows for sure, I guess I'll just keep stepping down until I hit the magic number! But what if it's $10,000? Then there's no point bothering. I hope someone knows the answer.

It seems odd to me the way they handle it. If the amount requested exceeds their limit, why don't they counter with an amount that doesn't exceed it? Or at least tell me what the limit is?

The hard limit on this card is not $10K. There are CLs in the ~$25,000 range on this card. You could try reaching out to the Credit Solutions department next time instead of submitting it online.

Message 2 of 19
Bradac56
Regular Contributor

@SoCalGardener wrote:

That's the most honest answer I've ever read, good for Sync.

No we will never know what there credit policy is as it's based off of many factors and it's different for everyone but your annual salary, rent/mortgage payment, spending with other lenders, etc will be factored in.  Every lender has a credit policy check, but they never talk about it as it's a black box internal system.

Message 3 of 19
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

@SoCalGardener wrote:

When I had this card before Synchrony closed all my accounts awhile back, $10,000 was all I could get through the link in my account... I sent a message to see if they could give me any useful information; was told they would have to do a hard pull to approve above $10,000.

I  never tried again as that was more than enough for my normal Amazon shopping. Not sure if what I was told in chat was true, or if the policy remains the same? 

Good luck!

Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 4 of 19
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@chiefone4u wrote:

@SoCalGardener wrote:

When I had this card before Synchrony closed all my accounts awhile back, $10,000 was all I could get through the link in my account... I sent a message to see if they could give me any useful information; was told they would have to do a hard pull to approve above $10,000.

I  never tried again as that was more than enough for my normal Amazon shopping. Not sure if what I was told in chat was true, or if the policy remains the same? 

Good luck!

Typically, the online system can limit requests at or above $10K on an existing account -- it's not limited to Amazon, though.

Often times, to get around that system limitation, folks tend to call the Credit Solutions team to see if anything higher can be leveraged. Now, if the same reason is cited despite the CS efforts, then it's usually due to SYNCB evaluating overal exposure across all SYNCB accounts based on reported sources of income, VS4 trended data and other internal factors. It appears the OP also has a JCPenney MC, Texaco/Chevron, and Synchrony Home CCs which is also factored into things.

Message 5 of 19
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@SoCalGardener wrote:

The hard limit on this card is not $10K. There are CLs in the ~$25,000 range on this card. You could try reaching out to the Credit Solutions department next time instead of submitting it online.

Now you've gone and burst my bubble! Smiley Very Happy

Just when I thought I'd finally read a denial 'reason' that actually made sense, you go and tell me it doesn't. Smiley Sad

It never would've occurred to me to call and request a CLI, and I am 99.99% sure I'll never do that, not just for this card but any card. I request CLIs online because it's a fun game to play--will I? won't I? maybe a counter-offer? Oh, the excitement!! And then, when approved, padding my TCL by X thousand dollars!!

That's why I do it. I know. I'm setting myself up for various closures or CLDs. I don't care. It's a fun game I like to play and so far, after all these years of being able to request CLIs online, I've had no negative results, so I'll keep playing. My initial goal was to pass the $100K threshold. Now I'm working on $200K. Smiley Very Happy

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 6 of 19
sarux3
Frequent Contributor

It strikes me odd that, if you're playing the credit game as a lark for fun, that you wouldn't employ all the tricks to maximize your fun.  A call to Credit Solutions takes like 10 minutes, and as others have stated in this thread and elsewhere on this forum, it's the key to getting those higher limits on Synchrony accounts.

Here's a fun exercise to try.  Go to your nearest Lowes and apply for credit at the counter... if approved you'll get a little receipt printout with your temporary credit limit.  Take that receipt and call up Credit Solutions later that day, ask for $25,000 and see what you get for a few minutes of your time on the phone with an overseas agent.

CH7 Filed Dec 31, 2018; DC Apr 9, 2019
FICO 8 at DC (Apr 15, 2019):
FICO 8 current (June 29, 2022):
Total revolving credit limit: $149,150 Utilization: 9% Inquiries:

Who I've burnt: Amex / Discover / Chase / Wells Fargo / CapOne / Barclays / Citi / DSNB / US Bank / NASA FCU / Apple FCU / Synch / Comenity
Who let me back in: CapOne / Citi (Retail) / DSNB / Synchrony / Comenity
Message 7 of 19
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@sarux3 wrote:

It strikes me odd that, if you're playing the credit game as a lark for fun, that you wouldn't employ all the tricks to maximize your fun.  A call to Credit Solutions takes like 10 minutes, and as others have stated in this thread and elsewhere on this forum, it's the key to getting those higher limits on Synchrony accounts.

Here's a fun exercise to try.  Go to your nearest Lowes and apply for credit at the counter... if approved you'll get a little receipt printout with your temporary credit limit.  Take that receipt and call up Credit Solutions later that day, ask for $25,000 and see what you get for a few minutes of your time on the phone with an overseas agent.

Thanks for the suggestion, but as I'm primarily bedbound, going to Lowes isn't an option.

As for calling versus trying online for a CLI, I *prefer* doing it online. My game consists of using *online* CLI requests and seeing the results--some good, some not. It's not like I actually NEED the increase; I save phone calls for when there's something really important and talking to a human being is the best method for dealing with it. I LIKE the way I play my game. Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I had that issue with my PPMC (which I think started at $15K)   As at that time I was using it for many things, I asked for an increase online  and got a similar message.  Contacting Credit Solutions got it bumped up.   So that's the way, only OP can decide if that is worth the time!

Message 9 of 19
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

I had that issue with my PPMC (which I think started at $15K)   As at that time I was using it for many things, I asked for an increase online  and got a similar message.  Contacting Credit Solutions got it bumped up.   So that's the way, only OP can decide if that is worth the time!

Thanks. That's interesting. Smiley Happy

No, I definitely won't call to increase this card's CL. Oh, I do plenty of spending at Amazon and everything, but I PIF every month and will never, ever run up my bill to $10,000! Or anywhere close. So a CLI is not necessary at all. Asking for one is just part of the little game I play to amuse myself. Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.