Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex 2nd card app advice needed

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex 2nd card app advice needed

Hi everyone,

Seeking some advice on my 2nd Amex card. I got back in with Amex a few mths ago via a Amex Delta with a $1K SL. I held off on trying for 3x CLI. I already met my sub but I honestly don’t fly on delta that much to make that my only card. Since I had the card I PIF and put a lot of spend on it. But I have been wanting the BCP for the longest. It matches my spend perfectly! This wk finally I had pre-approvals in the app for the BCP, BCE, Cash Magnet, HH, Everyday. But when I do the prequal online, it says no offers. But then when I close that window, there’s a “special offer” showing a higher sub for Cash Magnet ($200 instead of $150) and Amex Gold (50K MR). If I app thru the online offer instead of via the preapprovals in the app, am I risking denial? My EX F8 is 725 with 4 inqs. And how many can I app for with Amex? Is it just 1 for now then wait a few mths? Or can I get 1 rev, 1 charge now? Also, if I only get 1 CLI, should I wait until I get approved for the new revolver and see what that SL is or try for 3x on Delta and then app for the new one another time? Thanks in advance.
11 REPLIES 11
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex 2nd card app advice needed

With Amex, if you’re eligible for a card cold-apping vs preapproval should make no difference. Welcome Offers are once in a lifetime, so get the highest you can. If you are applying for a new revolving card, I would wait to ask for the 3X CLI until after the new app. You can only get one CLI among all of your cards every 181 days, so it would likely benefit you to see what your SL looks like, then either ask for 3X on your current card or wait 61 days and ask for a 3X on the new card.

You should be able to app for a charge and a revolver at the same time, but unless there is a rush to get the points, I would wait a few months between apps. If you are looking at MR-earning charge cards, I’d also suggest putting serious thought into whether the EDP is a better fit than BCP. Cash back and MRs don’t often mix well, and you cannot product change between them in the future.
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/?category=all -- check this in incognito mode to get the best offers... try it a few times as it doesn't always present the best offer on the first try

As to the 1st revolver see the CL or not... Does it really matter?  Apply for the card you want and then work from there.  If you get a decent CL then work that up to your max that Amex allows and then pick up more cards you can and will use with them if you desire.  Once you have a revolver you can request the 61 day on the 1st card and then a CLI across any of your other cards every 6 months instead of per card.

Message 3 of 12
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

With a $1K SL on your 1st card you barely got your foot in the door so I would not be in a big rush to add multiple additional cards. 

I would say to pick the preapproved card you most want right now and give it a shot, with the expectation that you won't try for another one for at least 6 months. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you everyone for the quick response! Technically it would be my 3rd Amex (I have a corporate card which is probably how I was able to sneak in with approval on the Delta). If I did the 3x CLI now on Delta BEFORE apping then when I get a new revolver, would that be eligible for a 3x CLI too?
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you everyone for the quick response! Technically it would be my 3rd Amex (I have a corporate card which is probably how I was able to sneak in with approval on the Delta). If I did the 3x CLI now on Delta BEFORE apping then when I get a new revolver, would that be eligible for a 3x CLI too?

Sort of.... if it's been 181 days since your last CLI then it would be doable if Amex will approve it or not is a different story.

Once you go beyond 1 card it's 181 per CLI per person not per card.

Message 6 of 12
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Yes, if approved for the CLI you would be eligible for a 3x on the other card... in 181 days. Amex is firm on one CLI granted every 181 days for your entire portfolio with them. And after any denial, 91 days before you can ask again on any card without being automatically denied.

Are you an authorized user on the corporate card or the primary? Is it an actual corporate card or a small business product?
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

The corporate card is an actual corporate card. A green one that I use for company expenses and doesn’t impact my personal credit since the company pays it when I submit my reports. So I guess I can just go for the BCP which is what I really wanted and then try for a charge card at a later date. I did want to start getting MR points but if Amex won’t give me a charge card right now, maybe I can enroll in the corporate program that lets me earn MR points on the corporate card for $95 AF.
Message 8 of 12
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Underwriting standards for charge cards are generally lower than revolvers; but if the BCP gives you the cash back that you want and is a better fit, I'd certainly go for it.  As for the MRs on the corporate card, the math for that should be pretty simple.  Figure out what your own personal value of a MR point and divide the $95 fee by it to figure out your break-even point; if you come out ahead it could certainly be worth it.  (i.e. if you decided they were worth 1 cent to you, then anything less than $9500 in annual spend on the corporate card would mean you are losing money by paying the AF; for 2 cents, $4750)

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I found the special welcome offer that offered higher sub for BCP and appd for that and got a “we can’t give you a decision right now. Check back in 14 days” And I got an alert they did HP but my reports are locked. We will see what happens. Maybe I should have done it thru the app for the SP.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.