Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Credit Card Application

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Credit Card Application

So I have a question! I opened 4 cards this year all with Amex! I’m pre approved for the Delta Platinum Amex card, a card I’ve been wanting for a while! Should I apply before the 28th to get that 90k sign up bonus? Or should I wait a little longer cuz of the velocity? I’m ok with the 2/90 rule and I have 3 credit cards with Amex! Thanks

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Amex Credit Card Application

Hi and welcome to the forums, @Anonymous

This depends on your own risk tolerance. If you're using the cards you already have with AMEX regularly then adding another shouldn't cause much issue. However, if you're applying for their cards for the signup bonus and then leaving them in the sockdrawer then that's another thing they might take issue with. In cases like this you might get a popup saying "you can apply for the card but no SUB for you" basically. The hope is you don't have all your eggs in one basket since you never know how banks will behave. If you feel like the signup bonus is worth the squeeze make sure to stay clean til at least the end of the year to make sure they don't get spooked

Something I want to ask. I am confused by you stating you opened four cards with AMEX this year and then later say you have three credit cards with them. Do you mean three revolvers and the fourth is a charge card?

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex gold 

BCP 

Marriot bonvoy brilliant 

Hilton Aspire 

I got all 4 cards since January and I still use all of them regularly! I never applied just to get the bonus! I use all of them a lot to be honest 

And about the sign up offer! It ends the 28th! 90k with 200 statement credit so it's a pretty great one! But I could def wait till next year! You think I should wait? 

Message 3 of 9
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

If that's the case go for it. For miles and statement credits I think that is as good as it's going to get. Probably the only comparable offer is when they offered additional MQMs, statement credit and miles all in one. I have no clue if they will come back with an offer like that since Delta released the increased status boost for their customers fair recently

I'd recommend staying clean app wise for the rest of the year if that is manageable for you after applying for the Delta Platinum. You have a good portfolio just from AMEX alone. Let your AoOA/AAoA recover with some aging and get back at it next year

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for you help 

Amex Gold in January 

Marriot Bonvoy late February 

Blue cash preferred late April 

Hilton Aspire in June! 

I'm very tempted for the delta platinum card but I'm also thinking on waiting till the end of the year or begging of next year, regardless of the offer ! I just really want that great relationship with Amex! 

Message 5 of 9
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

The fact you use all their cards makes them happy. No shame in slowing down after all the cards you got from AMEX this year. The card is not going anywhere and who knows maybe a similar offer will be available then

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

So true! There is no need to rush! I have some great cards with them already! I won't be applying this year again! Who knows maybe next year a good offer is available 

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another possible metric for you - what limits did you get on your cards? Did they trend downward with each new approval? If all were healthy approvals then you'd probably be OK going for it, but if each new limit was lower than the last, you may want to reconsider your velocity.

I agree with the above advice to wait on the card but if you do decide to go for it, look at these numbers and consider what they may be saying.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

My bonvoy card in February was 3 k CL 

BLue cash preferred in April was 4K CL 

hilton aspire in June was 10k CL 

so my CL is just going higher 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.