Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Credit Steps

tag
schsa210
Established Contributor

Amex Credit Steps

Has anyone (in the credit steps program initial sl $500) received a cli in addition to the $500 received after completing the credit steps?

If so, how long after was it and how much did you receive?

Had my two (Blue Cash Everyday and Everyday Cash), both went from $500 to $1000 after 5 months and both were upgraded after 9 months to the preferred versions.  Each time I tried for a cli, they were denied due to credit score being too low (exp was at 657).  Scores have gone up a few points since then so I tried again, but this time I was denied due to "cli has been requested on this account with the past 90 days).  Thinking I wont try again until the end of the summer.

~buried myself in the garden~
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Credit Steps

I think once you are denied a CLI with AMEX, you have to wait 91 days to ask for another one. 

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

The rule is that if you're denied a CLI by Amex, you must wait 90 days before submitting another request.  Was it more than 90 days after your last CLI denial that you made another request?

@schsa210 wrote:  

Has anyone (in the credit steps program initial sl $500) received a cli in addition to the $500 received after completing the credit steps?

If so, how long after was it and how much did you receive?

Had my two (Blue Cash Everyday and Everyday Cash), both went from $500 to $1000 after 5 months and both were upgraded after 9 months to the preferred versions.  Each time I tried for a cli, they were denied due to credit score being too low (exp was at 657).  Scores have gone up a few points since then so I tried again, but this time I was denied due to "cli has been requested on this account with the past 90 days).  Thinking I wont try again until the end of the summer.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

...and, if at 91 days your scores are not good enough, i would wait longer.
Message 4 of 11
schsa210
Established Contributor

The times that I were denied cli's, their letter stated they were due to my credit scores.  Last time I tried was mid March and was given the  reason that a cli was requested within 90 days, so that's why I decided to try again at the end of the summer.  Hopefully my scores will have increased some more by then.  

Message 5 of 11
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Out of curiosity,what were your scores when you got approved? Just wondering if they approved you at a lower score, but now they won't give you a CLI after they went up. That would be kinda ridiculous.

Message 6 of 11
grower1
Frequent Contributor

I'm in the Amex credit steps program. I was initally approved for $500 SL. I've had the card for exactly 1 year this week. Current spending limit is $3000, however I'm not sure of the dates for the increases. 

Message 7 of 11
schsa210
Established Contributor

so_broke_it_hurts, I belive my score was 652 at time of the approval.

Message 8 of 11
schsa210
Established Contributor

grower1, did your score increase before you were given the cl of $3000?

Message 9 of 11
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

See, that's kind of dumb. Your score was good enough to be approved and it's rising. Why quote score unless they feel you haven't improved enough for more money. At that point it should be "not enough experience at current limit" or something like that.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.