Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Delta Plat Targeted Offer

tag
xiocc
Regular Contributor

Amex Delta Plat Targeted Offer

Hello,

yesterday i recieved via snail mail a targeted offer from Amex for the Delta Skymiles Platinum card. the offer was 70k miles with only 2k in spend. Thinking this was a pre-apporval offer since it had a POID code on it, I called amex. Amex was unable to confirm if this would be a hard pull or soft pull when i was going thru the application process. I decided to back out since im trying to keep INQs low right now. 

Anyone have any thoughts or advice? I would take the offer if I knew it was only a soft pull. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex Delta Plat Targeted Offer

The offer is simply a marketing solicitation, not pre-approved. Do you currently have any other AmEx cards?
Message 2 of 10
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

I don't know, but I would guess, that it is equivalent to seeing that offer pop up on the prequalification page. If that is the case:

If you do not have any Amex cards, it will be a hard pull, and you may or may not be approved.

If you do have at least one personal Amex card, it will be a soft pull. You can see whether you're preapproved (as opposed to prequalified) by logging in and clicking the Apply button. If you are preapproved, it will say "You are preapproved!" at the top before you actually apply. Then, armed with that knowledge, apply through whatever method the mailing says to ensure you get that sign-up bonus instead of the default 35k/$1k.

It may be worth trying either way depending on your profile, but the risk/reward equation will be a lot better if you already have an Amex card and can verify that you are preapproved. Good luck!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 3 of 10
xiocc
Regular Contributor

Hello,

I currently have the Amex Bonvoy and Hilton Aspire card. I will try the online method and see if I get the pre-approval verbiage and update.

Message 4 of 10
Winesnoblv
Regular Contributor

Since you already have AMEX cards, it will be a soft pull.

I would check to see what is preapproved for you on AMEX.  Also, verify the offer.  When I was approved for this card, it was 75,000 miles for $3,000 spending in the first 3 months.  The offers tend to change.

FICO 8 EX 784 TU 786 EQ 786
FICO 9 EX 780
AMEX - Platinum, BCP, Delta Platinum, Simply Cash Plus, Blue Business Cash (Business)
Barclay - Arrival Plus, AAdvantage Aviator
Capital One - Venture, Sparks (Business)
Chase - FU, CSP
Citi - Premier, PLOC
Discover It Miles
TD Cash Visa
US Bank Altitude Reserve
Wells Fargo Propel AMEX
PNC Points Visa
FNBO Evergreen Visa
Message 5 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Winesnoblv wrote:

Since you already have AMEX cards, it will be a soft pull.

I would check to see what is preapproved for you on AMEX.  Also, verify the offer.  When I was approved for this card, it was 75,000 miles for $3,000 spending in the first 3 months.  The offers tend to change.

Agree, when I applied for this specific CC, the 75,000 miles + $100 Delta SCR / $3,000 spend offer was what I took. 

Message 6 of 10
xiocc
Regular Contributor

So I went online and found that every single card when i clicked Apply gives me the "Pre-approval" message. Like EVERY single card lol Would you still think this means I can get it with a soft pull or this is just a good bait manuever from Amex?

Message 7 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

While anything is possible, the majority of collective DPs indicate this would result in a SP. The key elements being that it displays a solid, pre-approved offer and you've been an established AmEx cardmember as opposed to a brand new customer.
Message 8 of 10
xiocc
Regular Contributor

I went ahead an applied via phone. Got approved for 5k at 24.99% which is not bad but not as good as I was hoping.

No HP alert notifications yet. Will update if I get a HP. If any wants any additional data points, feel free to ask.

Thanks again for helping with clarifying the offer 😁

Message 9 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Anytime @xiocc. Thanks for the update and congrats on the successful approval!

Locking this thread as you have been approved. Feel free to start a new approval thread with any DPs in the Approvals forum if you would like to do so.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.