Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Gold / Green - Baddies

tag
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Re: Amex Gold / Green - Baddies

@Noneed2nv wrote:

I would recommend continuing to check the AMEX website.  The link where you can check for preapprovals under "check for prequalified offers", is the most accurate "prequalification" before actually applying.  Hopefully, the card you want will come up.  If not, you can check weekly as your credit updates.  Literally, my DW went from not qualified to preapproved overnight for the Gold Card.  Good luck!

I recommend aginst this strategy for two reasons

1) Checking weekly does not work as Amex will only SP a new report very month or two so even if you get a 100 point jump, their prqual site might not see it for weeks

2) I have been told by very reliable sources within Amex, that it is true that filling out

Amex's prequal app wont hurt your FICO score.However, Amex does retain how many times

you try their prequal site and that high usage of this tool DOES have a negative effect on their credit granting decisions

Using the Amex site once a month is your best bet

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very helpful insight.

Message 12 of 15
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

Common wisdom is that underwriting has very similar requirements for all of the charge cards.  With that being the case the Gold is a much better value than the Green at this time.  I think your scores are low for Amex, it usually is about 650 EX to get a charge, Delta or Hilton card.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 13 of 15
CreditRebuilder2020
Frequent Contributor

I have an AMEX Green Card. Was approved when my EX was a 637. I hadn't applied to any cards for some 8 months before I applied for that card back in May of last year. 

I also at the time was getting shot down on the AMEX Pre Qualify site. I had kept hearing that people could get approved for the Delta Gold Card with FICOS's in the low-mid 600's. 

People crap all over the green card, it's true, the benefits of it are not great (but will be improving hopefully in the future after that Doctor of Credit report on new benefits). But IT IS a foot IN THE DOOR with AMEX. That's the way I looked at it, I'm upgrading to the Gold Card coming up in the next few months on my one year anniversary. 

Every person, every credit report, every application is different. I read some stories how AMEX never deals with anyone below 650, well I'm proof they took a shot on me. I've spent about $25K on that charge card in under a year and I've loved it. 

X1 VISA SIG $15,500/ AMEX Gold / Petal 1 $3600 / Wells Fargo Active Cash VISA $3K / VENMO Visa $900 / Verizon Visa $2K / Apple Card $1500 SL / Wyndham Rewards Earner Visa $500 / WALGREENS Store $1K / Amazon Store $5000 SL/ Discover IT Chrome $2500K / BP Prime Rewards VISA $4350 / PayPal MC $3500 / BOA BankAmericard $2K / BOA Cash Rewards $1K / Cap One Savor One $1200 / Cap One QS1 $950 / Blaze MC $2250 / Credit One $850 / Credit One AMEX $1200 / OpenSky $600 / AvantCard $1000 / Discover IT Cash Back (Graduated) $400 / eBay MC $750
FEB '22 EX: 698 EQ: 700 TU: 713 | UTL: 23% | Total Credit Limit: $54000
Goal Score: 675 for all FICOS (ACHIEVED NOVEMBER 2021) | NEW GOAL SCORE: 725 for ALL FICOs
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Meanmchine wrote:

@Noneed2nv wrote:

I would recommend continuing to check the AMEX website.  The link where you can check for preapprovals under "check for prequalified offers", is the most accurate "prequalification" before actually applying.  Hopefully, the card you want will come up.  If not, you can check weekly as your credit updates.  Literally, my DW went from not qualified to preapproved overnight for the Gold Card.  Good luck!

I recommend aginst this strategy for two reasons

1) Checking weekly does not work as Amex will only SP a new report very month or two so even if you get a 100 point jump, their prqual site might not see it for weeks

2) I have been told by very reliable sources within Amex, that it is true that filling out

Amex's prequal app wont hurt your FICO score.However, Amex does retain how many times

you try their prequal site and that high usage of this tool DOES have a negative effect on their credit granting decisions

Using the Amex site once a month is your best bet

Amex has soft pulled my EX every single week for the past 6 months. I used the prequal site once, 6 months ago. I do not have an Amex card. Also they could soft pull you in real time so no need to rely on a month old report.

Factoring how many times you tried a prequal site in credit granting decisions makes no sense, and I highly doubt they would. They would have to have data that says people who check often are a bad credit risk.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.