Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Green Card Pre-Qualify!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Green Card Pre-Qualify!

Based on my own recent experience I highly doubt that the OP will be approved for the Premier Rewards Gold.  I applied for the BCE and Green card in August 2017 with an Experian score of 648.  I was approved for the BCE with Amex's version of "credit steps" but was denied for the Green Card.  My EX score increased to 678 in mid-November so I decided to apply for the PRG but that too was denied citing my low score (Amex actually used an old score from October and I didn't bother to recon).

Then on Dec 1 my EX score rose to 698 and for the past few days whenever I check Amex pre-approvals (Menu/Cards/Charge & Credit Card Offers) I see the Green Card listed with several others as pre-approved.  Previously only a few credit cards were shown as pre-approved but never any charge cards.  Also, because I had applied for the PRG in mid-November and denied, it no longer appears in my listing of cards; even when I click "All Cards" the PRG does not show up so I can't reapply for it while logged in to my account (I suppose I'll have to wait 30 days before it reappears).

While researching minimum scores I came across this link that suggests an average Vantage 3.0 score of 729 and a "low" score of 658 for PRG holders:  https://milecards.com/6158/credit-scores-needed-for-the-best-mile-credit-cards-fresh-data/.  So my guess is that if the OP is pre-approved for the Green Card that is about as much exposure Amex will currently tolerate and he/she is unlikely to get the PRG.  If it doesn't show up in the list of pre-approved cards then I doubt it will be approved by cold app'ing.

Message 11 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm curious about the PRG card's benefits -- it says 3X for airfare, but then lower on the page is says "earn double points booking at amextravel.com" -- does this mean you can get 6X for airfare?  Does that make it better than Platinum or do you only earn 1X for airfare on amextravel x 2 = 2X?

Message 12 of 44
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

My data point for the PRG.
I had applied for the PRG and was approved for pending verification initially when I app’d for my delta card.Ended up cancelling the app since I wanted the delta more at that time and didn’t think I would get both.
My EX score was 610 at the time with 4 collections.

Ended up calling back and continuing the old app during recon for the BCE.
My score at app for BCE was 657. Decline for BCE for score to low. This was a month after my delta card was approved.

The PRG gets 3X points for airfare.
I think it’s reduced to only 2X points if you use amextravel, so the better deal is obviously through the airline.

I don’t think Amex would let you get 3X Times 2X =6x points. That would be better then the platinum card.

From everything I’ve read and data points. The charge cards have the same or extremely similar underwriting criteria

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 13 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ha! And today I am also pre qualified for PRG, just like you said! :-)

Message 14 of 44
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

I told you!😀
Pull the trigger and welcome to the AMEX family. 👍
Message 15 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@richowe -

Are Amex pre quals pretty solid? I want to apply, but reluctant to have another HP for a denial. I have been denied 4 times since July, and now the pre quals...

Message 16 of 44
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

If you have had several hard pulls in the last 6 months, I would hold off a bit. You will always be pre-qualified later on as long as nothing changes negatively on your CRs. Wait until February.
Message 17 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok @RicHowe, I will take your advice and hold off a bit. I'm not desperate for it, and would rather do it the right way!

Message 18 of 44
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

Also. Don't app for anything between now and then.

We'll keep your seat in the AMEX clubhouse reserved for you. 😁
Message 19 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting and confusing data point:

Yesterday, after logging into American Express, I could see ALL their cards and many of the revolvers were pre-approved but all of the charge cards were the other statement.

Today, after logging in, I can't see any charge cards except for Green.  Platinum and Gold are totally missing from the site.  Incognito I see all cards (not logged in).  When I copy the Platinum details page from incognito the personal, I get an error message.

Does Amex sometimes randomly hide cards from application?  The weird thing is, my score hasn't changed at all since I apped and was approved for BCP November 2nd.

Message 20 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.