Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex I am fuming

tag
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Amex I am fuming

I recently tried for 61CLI knew I may not get it since I started with such a small SL 1000. I got my letter today, too many inquires  ok fair enough but second reason is totally BS. Last month I went to pay and I had transcribed a number wrong well left out one number it was rejected I corrected and resubmitted and payment was made. So my letter states I have had a history for non payment returned payment from bank **bleep** are you kidding me??? 

I immediately went to chat feature csr stated he understood my concern and to call and explain things. I call get this woman who is very hard to understand of course and she precedes to tell me that of course that wasn't the only factor, I am aware of that but explained I shouldn't be penalized for that now or in the future she kept going on about "other" factors , yes I know but that reason is not fair. She said and I quote that "it will not be a factor in the future over time " are you kidding me? I am beyond pissed ATM

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Amex I am fuming

Don't sweat it JnBmom. Amex will take you off punishment in 30 days for the returned payment.
If you hadn't noticed, there's a good chance your APR is also at 29.99%. They'll adjust that as well after the 0% promotion is over, that's if your card has it.
I know, because I went through something similar.
Message 2 of 14
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Thank you. Still irritates me being labeled like that Smiley Sad just checked my APR still 0% at least).

I usually get exceptional CSR but that lady was awful.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm afraid to answer because you are so angry.  Just don't be mad at me.  In lending it has two names, "compounded risk" or "layered risk."  By itself it might not be enough to do anything (like decline), but when coupled with other attributes from your FICO score and / or the lender's own underwriting system it is enough to issue a decline.

We really have to be careful when entering our account details for online payments.  Mistakes are not easily forgiven.  I eyeball my entries so many times before I submit them that I still feel stressed out after the fact.  That's why some prefer to push a payment from their bank.  The lender never knows if there is an error.  just make sure you pay plenty early your first time to make sure you work out any bugs.

Sorry about your decline.

This issue will not stick around and at least it doesn't report to the credit bureaus.

Good luck!

Message 4 of 14
Gmood1
Super Contributor

I understand, I was pissed as well.
My APR has been at that 29.99% almost the entire time I was supposed to be at 0%. 😂
The penalty APR should be expired now. And back down to 12.74.
Luckily I always pay Amex in full. So the APR had no affect on the usage of that card.
At least they didn't shut it down and close accounts like some lenders do.
Message 5 of 14
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Yes I transposed number wrong it's not like I "bounced a check". Very irritating and I pay in full as well and will SD them for awhile terrible CSR .

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can see both sides of this. One, they view it as returned/whatever payment because of the glitch. Same thing as if you sent them a check made out ot the Cable Comany. There are fees associated with non payments etc. that is all spelled out in the "agreement" we sign.

While it's a simple honest mistake, it doesn't negate the offense. 

What I don't get, is the issue of one payment having the exception. Obviously we fix it once we've been made aware. And since the second payment went through with no problems, I don't see why they're acting like it's such a horror. Yeah, people walk away from charges all teh time with games, but they sure don't make second payment and try to reason wth the CCC about it. So they coud be a little more reasonable.

This is why I always set up any new payment accts. prior to any actual payments/due dates. That way it gives the CCC time to put it through their system as an active account. Also make a test payment prior to any due dates.

Message 7 of 14
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Thanks. But the weird thing is I set this payment account when I activated card it went through I paid the day my statement cut . I became concerned when payment never cleared my bank account,  checked and when I went back to account saw it was "returned" checked my banking info and saw it was missing number . I corrected and resubmitted. 

Although I take responsibility for not putting number correctly they also shouldn't have put that lovely green check my account was verified.

None the less nothing I can do now  but wait and SD their card for quite sometime lol

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I were you, I'd use the card, pay two to multiple times a month. Show them that you are right kind of customer for a CLI in the future. As it is, all they have in their system is the current info. SDing it might tell them the wrong thing also. 

When you get that 1st 3xCLI you will be happy you did. The 2nd 3xCLI is more money, but less fun than the 1st.

@Jnbmom wrote:

Thanks. But the weird thing is I set this payment account when I activated card it went through I paid the day my statement cut . I became concerned when payment never cleared my bank account,  checked and when I went back to account saw it was "returned" checked my banking info and saw it was missing number . I corrected and resubmitted. 

Although I take responsibility for not putting number correctly they also shouldn't have put that lovely green check my account was verified.

None the less nothing I can do now  but wait and SD their card for quite sometime lol

Message 9 of 14
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

If I were you, I'd use the card, pay two to multiple times a month. Show them that you are right kind of customer for a CLI in the future. As it is, all they have in their system is the current info. SDing it might tell them the wrong thing also. 

When you get that 1st 3xCLI you will be happy you did. The 2nd 3xCLI is more money, but less fun than the 1st.

@Jnbmom wrote:

Thanks you are right. I was just a little angry about how this went about and that CSR was so not helpful and kind of rude which I am not used to with AMEX.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.