Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum? Need to make a $5k purchase

tag
FicoGuy2019
Established Contributor

Amex Platinum? Need to make a $5k purchase

I need to make a $5k cash purchase and I just happened to check my preapprovals on Amex.  I was preapproved for all cards until right after I got the Gold last week and then I wasn't.  I just checked and and now I am again for all of the cards.

I am looking to get the most for this $5k spend and for Platinum they have a 5k spend for 75k points.   

I know I can't get 2 revolvers within 90 days but I am not sure about the charge cards...although, I know there have been exceptions to this.  I got the CM in April and the Gold last week. I already hit the $2k spend on the Gold for 50k points.  Would it trigger a review if I apply for the Platinum?  Am I even eligible? 

NFCU and CM is just 1.5% cash back so nothing special there. Gold would just give me 5k points.

platinum.jpg

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Platinum? Need to make a $5k purchase

From what I understand the 2/90 rule means you can have no more than two, but two is okay. Also if you're already an AMEX customer chances are it'll be a soft pull to apply for the Platinum meaning it's no big deal if your app gets declined/cancelled. Since you're preapproved I'd say you have a pretty good chance to get the card if you apply. Good luck!

Message 2 of 15
FicoGuy2019
Established Contributor

I suppose that is true.  I didn't get a SP or HP for the CM or the Gold.  I just don't want a FR triggered.

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are some reports of certain people being able to bypass 2/90, not sure if it's score related.

Message 4 of 15
FicoGuy2019
Established Contributor

I just called Amex and asked them and they said I can apply now for the Platinum if I would like.  I told them I just got the CM in April and the Gold last week and he said that doesn't matter, I can still get the Platinum now if I would like and don't have to wait.

Not sure I trust him on that haha.

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's definitely a good sign. You can do what I do when calling lender CSR's and call back and go through your spiel again and see what the second person says, just to confirm.
Message 6 of 15
FicoGuy2019
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
That's definitely a good sign. You can do what I do when calling lender CSR's and call back and go through your spiel again and see what the second person says, just to confirm.

Already on the phone with them doing just that.

Message 7 of 15
FicoGuy2019
Established Contributor

I just called Account Services instead of New Accounts and she verified the same thing.  She even called over to new accounts to make sure as she said they do give multiple cards to individuals at the same time but a credit check may be done in those instances even as a current customer.

I guess i'll think it over for a little while now.

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honestly, you're seriously playing with fire.  I've read most of your recent posts and wondered what's the sudden rush.  Those Amex cards have existed for a long time and will be there after your credit profile stabilizes. There's no need to be opening new accounts rapidly just for signup bonuses; the downside is that your FICO scores will eventually be affected because you keep reducing your Average Age of Accounts and resetting the Age of Youngest Account to zero.

Message 9 of 15
FicoGuy2019
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Honestly, you're seriously playing with fire.  I've read most of your recent posts and wondered what's the sudden rush.  Those Amex cards have existed for a long time and will be there after your credit profile stabilizes. There's no need to be opening new accounts rapidly just for signup bonuses; the downside is that your FICO scores will eventually be affected because you keep reducing your Average Age of Accounts and resetting the Age of Youngest Account to zero.

No rush and I do agree...I'd rather not be hit with a FR, I was just thinking since I had the cash to spend to put it to good use as far as the points go and I don't plan on applying for anything really any time soon at all.  Yes, I did lose a month on my aaoa and I'll lose one more when NFCU reports this week.  I think I'll just settle for the cash back and call it a day.  :-)

Thanks for playing the devil's advocate!

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.