Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum app - only an upgrade offer

tag
SouthernCredit
Frequent Contributor

Amex Platinum app - only an upgrade offer

Been looking at adding the Amex Platinum to my stable for the travel perks. Already a Gold card holder. When I go into my account, I have an upgrade offer for Platinum, but I want to retain my Gold and have them both, but there appears to be no way to simply apply for Platinum - it only gives me the upgrade link. Am I stupid, missing something, not deserving of both? Am I going to have to app incognito? 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex Platinum app - only an upgrade offer

Basically. You might want to do that anyways depending on if there's any elevated subs on Resy or cardmatch.

Message 2 of 7
SouthernCredit
Frequent Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner I assume that cold-apping will garner a HP from Amex, or is their back-end smart enough to figure out I'm already a customer and do a SP only (understanding possibility of HP always exists)?

Message 3 of 7
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@SouthernCredit wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner I assume that cold-apping will garner a HP from Amex, or is their back-end smart enough to figure out I'm already a customer and do a SP only (understanding possibility of HP always exists)?

Cold apping will not increase your chances of getting a HP. 

Message 4 of 7
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@SouthernCredit wrote:

Once the app is submitted they'll know you're an existing member. 

Message 5 of 7
DONZI
Established Contributor

@SouthernCredit wrote:

Am I going to have to app incognito? 

That's a sure way to sidestep the upgrade offer or apply for a second card. I have the same happen with the BCP upgrade from a BCE. Incognito sometimes offers a better deal than the 'check for preapproved' or direct limited time offers at amex.

In the case of the Platinum you may also want to compare with the resy offer. The resy promotion was a clear winner Vs. the offered gold on the amex site for me.

..and FWIW, my results were soft inqiery only.

In any event, the incognito or resy application process flows into the application form and allows you to login to amex and populate personal details.

2014 credit2020 credit2021 credit2023 credit
paypal credit imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecharge card image
[2020-12-09]=[EQ8|786]-[TU8|746]-[EX8|772] .... gardening until I can't (again).
[2023-10-01]=[EQ8|797]-[TU8|776]-[EX8|775]
Message 6 of 7
SouthernCredit
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the info y'all. I did look at the Resy offer, and it is better than the Amex public offer (125k vs 100k). Anyone know of any other locations with a better offer, perhaps 150k?

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.