cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you receive CLI's even if your reports are frozen???

tag
jonblaze24
New Contributor

Can you receive CLI's even if your reports are frozen???

I recently froze my credit from all 3 bureaus, will that have any affect on getting automatic CLI's? I have had a pretty solid increase in my credit scores and have been putting some major use on my cards (wedding, yay)....so am hoping to up my lines a little bit without unfreezing the credit and asking myself. 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

Re: Can you receive CLI's even if your reports are frozen???

@jonblaze24 wrote:

I recently froze my credit from all 3 bureaus, will that have any affect on getting automatic CLI's? I have had a pretty solid increase in my credit scores and have been putting some major use on my cards (wedding, yay)....so am hoping to up my lines a little bit without unfreezing the credit and asking myself. 

Mine are all frozen, too, and that hasn't affected me--as far as I know, anyway! I mean I've received auto-CLIs and also CLIs that I requested.

However, I'm aware that not all banks use the same rules, so BankA may be fine with frozen reports while BankB may not. Also, I now know that BankA may be fine with not doing a hard pull on *me*, but not Joe Blow, or vice versa. So the answer is: it depends!

If you tell us which cards you're specifically wondering about, we can provide better answers.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 2 of 6
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

It depends on the credit card issuer. BOA / US Bank / American Express are okay with if the reports are frozen. I also have Blaze and First Savings Credit cards. When I ask for CLI they do a soft inqury but they want the reports to be unfrozen. Every company has their own policy

Message 3 of 6
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

In general terms, a freeze shouldn't prevent an institution with which you already have an account accessing your credit report.   As @SoCalGardener says, they may nevertheless want them unfrozen, Sync being an example, at least on some of their cards.  I guess this allows them to do a HP if they want to, even if they never do!

Message 4 of 6
luckydiva95
New Contributor

All of my reports are frozen and I have received Auto CLI's from American Express, Discover, Best Buy, and Barclay's. 

Capital One QS $8,000| Credit one $3,150| Capital One Secured $500| Barclay View $6,250| Amazon Chase $2,700| Discover It $12,100| AMEX Everyday Preferred $15,000| Wells Fargo Active Cash $7,500| AMEX Blue Cash Preferred $17,900| Apple Card $4,000| Best Buy Visa $5,000| Citi Custom Cash $6,500| Chase Sapphire Preferred $9,500|Chase Unlimited Freedom $9100
Message 5 of 6
Duke_Nukem
Established Contributor

@Red1Blue wrote:

It depends on the credit card issuer. BOA / US Bank / American Express are okay with if the reports are frozen. I also have Blaze and First Savings Credit cards. When I ask for CLI they do a soft inqury but they want the reports to be unfrozen. Every company has their own policy

My DW and I both have been unsuccessful at getting CLI's with US Bank while our reports have been frozen.  Her USB Cash+ received 2 SP CLI's prior to freezing her reports.  Since then, she has been shot down twice this past year and the "denial" letter states her account is frozen.  She received no HP notices from any of her report monitoring sites.

My USB Go is a little over 1 year old, and I've attempted 3 CLI's while my reports have been frozen, all unsuccessful.  The first 2 attempts (after 7 months and around 10 months) I received HP notices from monitoring sites.  The last CLI attempt earlier this month (13 months with the card) resulted with the same letter stating my reports are frozen, but I didn't get a HP notice from any monitoring site... so that one sounded like it was a SP attempt.

For the both of us, it seems USB doesn't like our reports to be frozen even if they are attempting what appears to be a SP.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.