Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App Spree Coming Soon

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

App Spree Coming Soon

So I will be closing on my mortgage at the end of Oct. I want to app for at least 3 cards, I'm thinking 1 pull from each CB. I want to do Amex for the EX but still have not decided. I will deffiently be using my TU pull for my second NF card. For the EQ pull I opened an account and PenFed and will probably use that pull for one of their cards. I was checking my offers on the EX site and all the Cap1 cards were listed. I do have a QS1 with a low limit that will probably never grow. I was curious of would it be worth it to close the card then maybe app for the Savor1 or Venture1. But it's also a 3B pull witch I would maybe want to avoid. Also opened a checking account with Chase and I'm at 5/24 but will be under in March. So many choices and advice would be appreaciated. Then off too the garden I go for at least 2 years to age my profile and mortgage.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: App Spree Coming Soon

Your first option appears to be your best option; AmEx NFCU, PFCU.

Capital One if you want 3 HP for 1 card. Smiley Tongue

Message 2 of 21
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So I will be closing on my mortgage at the end of Oct. I want to app for at least 3 cards, I'm thinking 1 pull from each CB. I want to do Amex for the EX but still have not decided. I will deffiently be using my TU pull for my second NF card. For the EQ pull I opened an account and PenFed and will probably use that pull for one of their cards. I was checking my offers on the EX site and all the Cap1 cards were listed. I do have a QS1 with a low limit that will probably never grow. I was curious of would it be worth it to close the card then maybe app for the Savor1 or Venture1. But it's also a 3B pull witch I would maybe want to avoid. Also opened a checking account with Chase and I'm at 5/24 but will be under in March. So many choices and advice would be appreaciated. Then off too the garden I go for at least 2 years to age my profile and mortgage.

The important questions- What do you spend on? Cash back or Travel cards?

Message 3 of 21
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@AllZero 

I did what you're thinking.....

I got the Savor with a $5k limit. Closed the bucketed QS.  Since then I've pc'd Savor several times, run spend but it's never enough and barely grew in limit.  Now all or most of the friendly perks we used to enjoy are gone.  I'd save those 3 hp's for 1 product for something more user-friendly like a Boat, lol! (I know, off topic)

App Sprees are fun and your first line up idea looks really good.  Good Luck!

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 4 of 21
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I think your Amex/NFCU/Penfed trifecta is a good idea. BTW, ignore EX's "offers." They're nothing more than marketing. Not actual pre approvals at all.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

^^^ every word of this.

Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone, I guess I will go with my original plan. I also realized I won't be able to hit all the spend too PIF too get the Subs. Especially just buying a house. Well I could easily hit it but will be carrying a balance. Thinking the gold from Amex but that has a 4000 dollar spend. The other two cards will be much easier too hit. Was maybe also thinking of going with the EDP as well. Or maybe even the Green card. Or even a revolver.

Message 7 of 21
BmoreBull
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks everyone, I guess I will go with my original plan. I also realized I won't be able to hit all the spend too PIF too get the Subs. Especially just buying a house. Well I could easily hit it but will be carrying a balance. Thinking the gold from Amex but that has a 4000 dollar spend. The other two cards will be much easier too hit. Was maybe also thinking of going with the EDP as well. Or maybe even the Green card. Or even a revolver.

Have you done any of the prequals for Amex? The prequal from Navy is said to be not reliable. To me the best card to go for with Navy right now, because there is no sub for the Flagship, would be the more rewards. But if you get the more rewards and an actual Amex, you have two cards that are running on the Amex network. As long as you're ok with that and Amex is accepted where you primarily spend, it's a good idea. I personally would not waste 3 hp's on a Cap One card. But that's just my opinion.

Starting Fico Scores:November 2019

Current Fico Scores: January 6, 2021
Goal Scores: 700 across all three
Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BmoreBull wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Have you done any of the prequals for Amex? The prequal from Navy is said to be not reliable. To me the best card to go for with Navy right now, because there is no sub for the Flagship, would be the more rewards. But if you get the more rewards and an actual Amex, you have two cards that are running on the Amex network. As long as you're ok with that and Amex is accepted where you primarily spend, it's a good idea. I personally would not waste 3 hp's on a Cap One card. But that's just my opinion.

I was pre qualified last month for 3 of their cards. The gold Delta and 2 Hilton cards. But ever since that Express card reported and maybe the 3 mortgage pulls I am unable to get them too reappear. Hopefully that doesn't hurt my chances of approval.

I was definitely gonna app for the More from NF, just seems to be the best fit. I don't mind carrying 2 Amex's since I have Visa and MC as back anyways as well as a Discover.

Message 9 of 21
BmoreBull
Established Contributor

I would honestly wait for the preapproval on Amex's site to come back. Another thing to remember is, just because you are preapproved for one of the co-branded cards, doesn't mean that you will qualify for a core revolver. I check the Amex prequal peridoically. I was approved for all of the hotel and airline cards but nothing else at first. Last week I checked and was approved for the charge cards as well. This week I went back in and checked, I'm back to just the hotel and delta cards. Nothing has changed in my profile.

Starting Fico Scores:November 2019

Current Fico Scores: January 6, 2021
Goal Scores: 700 across all three
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.