Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App Strategy Post Rebuild

tag
drewricomakeubu
Frequent Contributor

App Strategy Post Rebuild

Hey everyone, 

Just doing some thinking for when my credit gets out of the dump around September. I have 3 COs and 1 collection showing on EX and EQ. I had 2 COs taken off of TU through EE this month and will have the rest removed in March. My score jumped over 50 points for TU according credit karma but I know that's not 100% accurate. Anyway, once I get all the stuff removed from TU I'll have a decent idea of what the rest of the bureaus scores will look like post removals. 

Anyway, I've got some goals in mind at this point that I'm wanting to app for when all the stuff is removed. I have a chase freedom with about 8 years of positive payments and some other accounts that are either paid off or not carrying a balance. 

I work for a nationally touring band so I travel quite a bit and spend a lot of money  at truck stops and restaurants. We also periodically have fly dates where I'm wanting to add a card with lounge access. 

I do want to add another Chase account but not really sure which one. I'm not really sure what the huge differences in the flex and the unlimited freedoms. I do use Amazon quite a bit so im looking at the prime as well. 

I also want to get back in with AMEX, I stupidly closed an everyday card that was paid in full. I don't know why I did that. I'm looking at the blue cash or blue cash preferred and possibly the Hilton honors surpass for the lounge access since it has 10 free lounge access a year and we don't fly enough to justify the annual fee on the platinum or the chase sapphire reserve or whichever one it is with the lounge access. 

Any insight on app strategy would be helpful or if you'd like more info just ask. 

thanks everyone 

Current FICO 8: TU: 814 EX: 774 EQ: 806
Current Cards:
Chase Freedom $800
Chase Ink Unlimited $8,000
American Express BCP: $12,000
Chase Sapphire Preferred $11,500
Blue Business Plus $10,000
Chase Ink Cash $6,000
Capital One Venture X $16,000
American Express Gold
Amazon Prime Amex $3,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited $5,000

Tour Manager, FOH Engineer, Concert Promoter, HBIC
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
drewricomakeubu
Frequent Contributor

Re: App Strategy Post Rebuild

I also have an authorized user account that is showing on my credit thats carrying a decent balance. I was added to it through my job and I don't know if I want it to be on my credit report honestly. Any tips on getting this removed?  

I know im a mish mash of credit subjects in this thread 

Current Cards:
Chase Freedom $800
Chase Ink Cash $6,000
American Express Gold
Amazon Prime Amex $3,000

Message 2 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@drewricomakeubu wrote:

I also have an authorized user account that is showing on my credit thats carrying a decent balance. I was added to it through my job and I don't know if I want it to be on my credit report honestly. Any tips on getting this removed?  

1.  Just close the AU card if you don't need it and no one will be offended.

2.  It seems to me that the Chase Sapphire Preferred would be a good card for you, since the majority of your travel is on the road, and the card has a broad definition of travel.  Here's a Points Guy article on the subject: https://thepointsguy.com/guide/which-purchases-count-as-travel-chase-sapphire-reserve-preferred/  The Citi Premier card is a good one for restaurants, gas stations, air travel, and hotels. The Comenity Travel Advantage card is a good one for gas and ev charging, restaurants, and travel.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 10
drewricomakeubu
Frequent Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@drewricomakeubu wrote:

1.  Just close the AU card if you don't need it and no one will be offended.

2.  It seems to me that the Chase Sapphire Preferred would be a good card for you, since the majority of your travel is on the road, and the card has a broad definition of travel.  Here's a Points Guy article on the subject: https://thepointsguy.com/guide/which-purchases-count-as-travel-chase-sapphire-reserve-preferred/  The Citi Premier card is a good one for restaurants, gas stations, air travel, and hotels. The Comenity Travel Advantage card is a good one for gas and ev charging, restaurants, and travel.

Thank you for your response.

The AU card is closed, allegedly from what I understand, but it's still reporting on my credit. At least they've told me it's closed. Also, I'm hesitant to app for citi since I burned them and thats who sold the debt to the collection agency. I just don't want to start any nonsense with citi if I don't have to. It was only like $1400 though, so I'm not 100% sure how they are with BLing or how long their memory is in regards to that stuff. 

Does the CSP have airport lounge access? I'm not really sure how the rewards work for the sapphire cards.

Current Cards:
Chase Freedom $800
Chase Ink Cash $6,000
American Express Gold
Amazon Prime Amex $3,000

Message 4 of 10
mgood
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:
Here's a Points Guy article on the subject: https://thepointsguy.com/guide/which-purchases-count-as-travel-chase-sapphire-reserve-preferred/ 

THANK YOU!

@drewricomakeubu wrote:

Does the CSP have airport lounge access? I'm not really sure how the rewards work for the sapphire cards.

Not the Sapphire Preferred (I don't think). The Sapphire Reserve does have lounge access.

Starting Score: EQ8 680, TU8 713, EX8 701
Current Score: EQ8 778, TU8 766, EX8 770 as of April 22
Goal Score: EQ8 780, TU8 780, EX8 780

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
AZE4 - 2% Utl - New Accts: 3/6, 4/12, 7/24
Message 5 of 10
805orbust
Valued Contributor

Whatever direction you decide to go in, I'd do the Chase app first to take advantage of your low 5/24 status.

Unlimited is a blanket 1.5% cash back where the FF has rotating categories, with 5% a regular occurrence. 

Message 6 of 10
drewricomakeubu
Frequent Contributor

Thank you 

Current Cards:
Chase Freedom $800
Chase Ink Cash $6,000
American Express Gold
Amazon Prime Amex $3,000

Message 7 of 10
drewricomakeubu
Frequent Contributor

Does anyone know if in the scenario that I do app for Chase and get approved, hopefully, when the time comes and I app for AMEX and CapOne and get approved soon after, that Chase will close my accounts with them? 

My goal cards for when my baddies fall off are: 

Chase FF

Amex BCP or BCE whichever has the best sign up bonus at the time or possibly Cash Magnet

CapOne Venture X for Airport Lounge access and travel credit, as I go on plenty of trips besides on the road for work.

Would be dangerous to app these in the same day? Or should I space them out?

Current Cards:
Chase Freedom $800
Chase Ink Cash $6,000
American Express Gold
Amazon Prime Amex $3,000

Message 8 of 10
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@drewricomakeubu wrote:

Does anyone know if in the scenario that I do app for Chase and get approved, hopefully, when the time comes and I app for AMEX and CapOne and get approved soon after, that Chase will close my accounts with them? 

Chase FF

Amex BCP or BCE whichever has the best sign up bonus at the time or possibly Cash Magnet

CapOne Venture X for Airport Lounge access and travel credit, as I go on plenty of trips besides on the road for work.

Probably not, but nobody could really tell you for sure. It's a risk you'd have to take if you choose to.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 9 of 10
drewricomakeubu
Frequent Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@drewricomakeubu wrote:

Chase FF

Probably not, but nobody could really tell you for sure. It's a risk you'd have to take if you choose to.

Thank you sir

Current Cards:
Chase Freedom $800
Chase Ink Cash $6,000
American Express Gold
Amazon Prime Amex $3,000

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.