Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Card CLI Request Denied

tag
heirophant
Established Contributor

Apple Card CLI Request Denied

Just a data point I guess, but my Apple Card has been open for 94 days now. I have read that you can request a CLI AT 91 or 92 days depending on the post you read. I got the following message today at 94 days:

"

Your credit limit couldn't be increased at this time because:

- Your Apple Card account is new and you have not used and paid off enough of your credit limit over time."

So, I guess I'll wait another month and try again.

Scores: TU (FICO8): 781, EQ (FICO8): 798, EX (FICO8): 788

In my wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred: 16,000 | Chase Slate Edge: 8,100 | Bilt World Elite Mastercard: 16,000 | Fidelity Rewards Visa Signature: 8,500 | PenFed Visa Gold: 12,500 | Penfed Pathfinder: 15,000 | Apple Card: 6,500 | Lowe's: 35,000 | Northern Skies FCU Platinum: 15,000 | Kohls: 3,000

Mortgage 11/20
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
CreditMarathoner
Frequent Contributor

Re: Apple Card CLI Request Denied

How much have you spent on the card so far?  DPs suggest they like to see usage, the more the better.

Open Tradelines: 4 Revolvers, 1 Mortgage / Garden Start Date: 10/1/2021 / Garden Goal: don't have one right now
TCL: $26,500 / AAoA: 8y6m / AoYA: 1y5m / Inqs: 1EX 0TU 1EQ / FICO8 Feb 2023: 848(TU) 843(EX)
Message 2 of 12
heirophant
Established Contributor

Bought a MacBook from the Apple store and a couple other random items. Total about 3K. Still paying installments on my MacBook. But, I have made 3 payments so far.

Scores: TU (FICO8): 781, EQ (FICO8): 798, EX (FICO8): 788

In my wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred: 16,000 | Chase Slate Edge: 8,100 | Bilt World Elite Mastercard: 16,000 | Fidelity Rewards Visa Signature: 8,500 | PenFed Visa Gold: 12,500 | Penfed Pathfinder: 15,000 | Apple Card: 6,500 | Lowe's: 35,000 | Northern Skies FCU Platinum: 15,000 | Kohls: 3,000

Mortgage 11/20
Message 3 of 12
MasonK
Frequent Contributor

Since I got it when it launched, I've put many phones, iPads, and Watches on the card (Apple Store purchases were my only use) and I never qualified for a CLI. Then one month I put 15 swipes on it from a convenience store and got a $2k bump. I'd say from my DPs that Goldman prefers swipes to dollar amounts.

1/1/16 FICO8 Scores: EX: 407, EQ: 403, TU: 455
4/1/24 FICO8 Scores: EX: 832, EQ: 820, TU: 834
FICO9 EX: 818
Total Revolving Limits: $152,300

Message 4 of 12
bigseegar
Established Contributor

Apple/GS wants to see lots of usage and lots of PIF or at least big payments made toward any outstanding balance to issue CLI. If you have a large balance or maxed out and you're making Min payment amount or even 1.5x the Min payment, they don't like that when it comes to CLI's. Just because you can ask every 91 days doesn't mean they will grant one every 91 days especially if you aren't using it enough or paying enough of it off. Once you denied a CLI you can ask again 31 days. Approvals you have to wait another 91 Days.

Message 5 of 12
SDMarik
Established Contributor

It's them saying you are not spending enough and/or making large enough payments to warrant a cli. Being only 90 days old probably has something to do with it also, they just dont have what they need yet on you as a customer to see if you need or can handle a larger limit. Keep spending, keep paying (ideally PIF or as close to it as possible) and they'll open up eventually.

"When prosperity comes, do not use all of it"
Message 6 of 12
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Hi @heirophant,

It does appears that you will have to a pay a good more of your ~ $3,000 balance for GS to consider you for a CLI.

Message 7 of 12
RealityDesigner42
Established Member

re: " Approvals you have to wait another 91 Days."

Any DPs on whether that is from when it was granted or when you asked if it wasn't immediate?    I asked for the first time for a CLI about 8 days ago and got a message that they needed more time to review it, up to 10 days. I'm guessing it'll be approved, I thought it'd be immediate,  since scores are up, new new accounts or inquiries prior to request,  and I think I used it enough and pay to $0 balance before each statement cut and before CLI request. Just in case: any DPs on when to request one again after denial, is it 31 days after when you asked or when they decided?

Message 8 of 12
TheRedHat
Established Contributor

@heirophant wrote:

Bought a MacBook from the Apple store and a couple other random items. Total about 3K. Still paying installments on my MacBook. But, I have made 3 payments so far.

I didn't see anyone else in here mention this, but I don't think you can be approved for a CLI while you are on a payment plan with the Apple Card. If someone has data points to prove otherwise, I'd be interested in seeing them.

Last update: 4/8/2024
Chopping Block:

Goal Cards
Message 9 of 12
CreditCharmer
Regular Contributor

@MasonK wrote:

Since I got it when it launched, I've put many phones, iPads, and Watches on the card (Apple Store purchases were my only use) and I never qualified for a CLI. Then one month I put 15 swipes on it from a convenience store and got a $2k bump. I'd say from my DPs that Goldman prefers swipes to dollar amounts.

That's good to know.  I was given a 10k SL with Apple but wondered why I was denied an increase.  Note to file.....Frequent swipes, even if they're small.  Got it!!!!
Thank you! 

Credit is a lot like a Reputation....It takes 20 years to build it and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, and you will do things differently.

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.