Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Card Shopping Cart Trick Fail

tag
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

Apple Card Shopping Cart Trick Fail

I followed the "trick" to apply for Apple card at Apple Store.  Approved instantly.  But got credit alert from TransUnion.  Not very happy about that.  I thought there won't any hard pull or credit impact.

Will wait to see if the new account shows up too.  This is not what I expected.  Do not really need the Apple card.  Fancy, but won't put much spending on it.

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Apple Card Shopping Cart Trick Fail

It is a SP to see your terms and CL. It becomes a HP if you accept the terms and open the account.

Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup, they did a HP on me too for this card at TU. I need to get used to the card. Since it does not have an account number on the card itself.

Thanks

Mark

Message 3 of 25
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It is a SP to see your terms and CL. It becomes a HP if you accept the terms and open the account.

Is that specific to Apple, or the SCT in general? It's been several years since I used the SCT, but as I recall its biggest selling point was no hard pulls. I used it for.... four(?) of the cards I still have now, and none resulted in a hard pull. Apple wasn't one of them, though.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 4 of 25
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Is that specific to Apple, or the SCT in general? It's been several years since I used the SCT, but as I recall its biggest selling point was no hard pulls. I used it for.... four(?) of the cards I still have now, and none resulted in a hard pull. Apple wasn't one of them, though.

Different banks. 

The original "SCT" was with Comenity and could result in a SP approval 

The apple "SCT" is more to get the preapproval to show up and/or have a higher SL. In every case I have read about it results in a HP when you accept. 

Really unfortunate that it has been labeled as a "SCT" on this forum as it causes confusion for people familiar with Comenity's SCT. 

Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

As others have mentioned, the initial application for approval is a SP, but once you accept the offer it performs the hard pull. I recently was approved for the Apple Card and just received it in the mail. It's the nicest looking card in my wallet, but SL was much lower than I had hoped for.

Message 6 of 25
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The Apple trick is independent of the SCT.

To add to the confusion, over the last 2.5 years or so the SCT has itself become a no longer reliable means of approvals via just a soft pull.  Quite a few members here found themselves the recipient of an unpleasant surprise when an application triggered a HP.   There are a couple of longish threads on the site that had data points as to which cards still were available via SP and those which were more likely to trigger a hard pull. 

(7/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 7 of 25
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

Thanks @dragontears and @coldfusion for clearing that up! You're both right on target. Every time I see "Apple card" and "shopping cart trick" mentioned together, I'm actually thinking about the Comenity SCT. Hence the confusion!

Maybe some other term could be used for Apple to differentiate it from the 'real' SCT. Smiley Happy

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 8 of 25
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

There was a thread at one point where someone suggested "ACT" but I guess it didn't catch on.

(7/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 9 of 25
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

There was a thread at one point where someone suggested "ACT" but I guess it didn't catch on.

Must have been while I was gone. Pity it didn't catch on! It sure would clear up the confusion.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.