cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apply for Capital One with 2 out of 3 CRAs frozen?

tag
kremonis
Regular Contributor

Apply for Capital One with 2 out of 3 CRAs frozen?

Capital One infamaously pulls from all three credit reporting agencies. What would happen if you froze two out of the three CRA, then went a head and applied for one of their personal or business credit cards?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Apply for Capital One with 2 out of 3 CRAs frozen?

@kremonis wrote:

Capital One infamaously pulls from all three credit reporting agencies. What would happen if you froze two out of the three CRA, then went a head and applied for one of their personal or business credit cards?

Probably be denied.

Message 2 of 11
citymunky
Established Contributor

@kremonis wrote:

I seen/heard of people being approved with one of the 3 CRA frozen.

I was approved for the SavorOne last year with EX and TU frozen, however I was heavily targeting heavily and already a Cap1 card holder. Also my SL was super low at $500 so their might tradeoffs 

Rebuilding since 2021

Closed CCs
USAA (Jul 2019| Settled CO), Jasper $1 CL (Jul21-Jul22), Sable $250CL{Secured} (Jan22-Jun23), CreditOne Platinum $750CL (Jul21-Aug23), Prosper $1.9K CL (Jan22-Apr24)

Starting FICO 8 Scores:
Current FICO 8 Scores:

Message 3 of 11
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

two out of three a wasted HP likely.  one of three possible approval.  Leave all three unfroozen a certainly better change of approval.  I rather take the triple hit personally and have a better chance.  They also pull many third party bureaus such as sagestream, etc.  They want to see the biggest picture they can your financial status

Message 4 of 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@kremonis wrote:

Denial, most likely.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 5 of 11
reluctantgarden
Frequent Contributor

@kremonis wrote:

My experience may be atypical or maybe because it's retail, but this year I was approved for their Pottery Barn MC with Experian and Equifax frozen. I did have a past car loan and had just opened a checking account.

Message 6 of 11
kremonis
Regular Contributor

@kremonis wrote:

Capital One infamously infamaously pulls from all three credit reporting agencies. What would happen if you froze two out of the three CRA, then went a head and applied for one of their personal or business credit cards?

Follow up question. Lets say I bite the bullet and I'm ok with taking a triple hit from Cap1. I read that Cap1 may likely give you a better starting limit if they actively see using your credit.

I have a window of less than week before a four figure charge hits my credit report. It would be 100% utilization on that card but under 9% based on total credit.

Would it be better to apply to Cap1 before or after the four figure charge hits my credit report?

Message 7 of 11
markbeiser
Established Contributor

@kremonis wrote:

I have a window of less than week before a four figure charge hits my credit report. It would be 100% utilization on that card but under 9% based on total credit.

You definitely DO NOT want to have 100% utilization showing on a card!
It will it cause a significant drop in your credit scores, potentially casue AA from other issuers, and cause denials for new credit.

Back to gardening until Late February 2025.
Current FICO8:
Message 8 of 11
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@kremonis wrote:

@kremonis wrote:

Capital One infamously infamaously pulls from all three credit reporting agencies. What would happen if you froze two out of the three CRA, then went a head and applied for one of their personal or business credit cards?

Follow up question. Lets say I bite the bullet and I'm ok with taking a triple hit from Cap1. I read that Cap1 may likely give you a better starting limit if they actively see using your credit.

Would it be better to apply to Cap1 before or after the four figure charge hits my credit report?

Yes!  check the pre-approval site first and make sure you are pre-approved for their card that you want prior to going head deep in with the actual application.  Pre-qual's/approvals aren't 100% golden, but a good indicator of whether you would be approved or not

Message 9 of 11
nytokyobred79
Valued Contributor

I was approved for the Venture X Rewards with EX/TU thawed and EQ frozen. Probably one of the silliest things I could have done last year. Not only did EQ have the fewest inquiries but it also had my best AAoAs since some student still reported. I'm pretty sure I got the worst possible APR bc of this. Personally, I would take the 3 hit pull if you want one of their cards( and check pre-approval beforehand as suggested above). 

Avoided credit cards after ruining my financial health but got back into the game in 2019 after a 20 year hiatus
Total Revolving CL- $205, 500 | Order of Opened Cards
Delta SkyMiles Blue- SL-$1K | CL- $22.6K
(pc'd from SkyMiles Platinum back to Blue)
Delta SkyMiles Reserve- SL- $10K | CL- $20K
Chase Sapphire Reserve- SL $20K | CL- $39K
Cap 1 Venture Rewards- SL $10K | CL $ 20.5K
Amex Everyday Preferred- SL $13.1K | CL $10K ( moved some limits around )
Chase Freedom Unlimited: SL $23.4K| CL $36.8K
BOA Unlimited Cash SL: $20.8K| CL $10.8K(moved some limits around)
BOA Travel Rewards SL: $20.8K | CL $5.8K(moved some limits around)
Amex Blue Cash Everyday SL: $10K
Amex Green Card: NPSL / POT: 17K
BOA BankAmericard: SL: $5K | CL: $30K
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.