Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for AmEx Platinum but not the Gold

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Approved for AmEx Platinum but not the Gold

I applied for the AmEx Platinum late September and was instantly approved and two days ago(November 8) I applied for the AmEx Gold Card and was instantly denied.

Since opening my account, I have spent ~$7,000+ on it then made a mid cycle payment in full and waited two days and applied for the Gold Card. This was surprising to me as I wouldn’t think they’d find me as a risk. I heav never missed a payment on anything. I decided to look into my Experian score and signed up for the monthly service to do so, and found my FICO scores to be: Ex:760, Eq:755, Tu:754.

I haven’t seen the letter yet but my curiosity is through the roof and maybe frustration too.

I’m not sure what to do at this point as I really want this card to use as my daily?

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Approved for AmEx Plstinum but not the Gold

could be you reached the max amount of Amex cards? Only thing I can think of. The charge cards are easier to get than the standard ones.
Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Strange, you should be a shoe in with those sort of scores. Probably didn't want you having two charge cards in such a short period. It might seem like extreme churning behavior to them.
Message 3 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I applied for the AmEx Platinum late September and was instantly approved and two days ago(November 8) I applied for the AmEx Gold Card and was instantly denied.

Since opening my account, I have spent ~$7,000+ on it then made a mid cycle payment in full and waited two days and applied for the Gold Card. This was surprising to me as I wouldn’t think they’d find me as a risk. I heav never missed a payment on anything. I decided to look into my Experian score and signed up for the monthly service to do so, and found my FICO scores to be: Ex:760, Eq:755, Tu:754.

I haven’t seen the letter yet but my curiosity is through the roof and maybe frustration too.

I’m not sure what to do at this point as I really want this card to use as my daily?

I'm not sure why you would immediately assume that Amex sees you as a "risk."  You can always check your Application Status and learn the exact reason(s) for the adverse action by reading the copy of the letter being sent to you instead of guessing:  American Express Application Status Check

Message 4 of 25
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Approved for AmEx Platinum but not the Gold

@Anonymous wrote:

Amex tends to 'roll' their own way at times, and they are known to have a reasonably complex algorithm that looks at much more than just credit scores.

Give it a little time and you should be able to easily add the Gold.  The good news is that there's usually no HP for apps from existing customers, so you didn't get dinged for the denial.

Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I highly doubt it has anything to do with you hitting the max number of cards or that they wouldn't let you get 2 charge cards so quickly. I just opened 2 Amex charge cards yesterday, which makes for 5 Amex charge cards and 4 Amex credit cards for me. I also opened another charge card and 2 credit cards in the previous 2 weeks, so 3 charge cards and 2 credit cards in like 2 weeks.
Message 6 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

My apologies for not specifying that the AmEx Platinum Card was my first AmEx card.

Message 7 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’m assuming they denied me because if time between apps. Does anyone have a recommendation on when to reapply? I might want to also add that I have not called yet in reference yet for reconsideration. I don’t want them to think I’m “desperate” or anything.

I would like to get the Gold Card sometime soon as I’m going to be leaving the country for a considerable amount of time in late December. I would like to have this card for my wife to use while I’m away for everyday purchases to maximize rewards.
Message 8 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
My apologies for not specifying that the AmEx Platinum Card was my first AmEx card.

You need to pace yourself.  Considering that your very first Amex card - the Platinum - was only opened in "late September" it probably hasn't yet been reported to the credit bureaus (Amex usually reports new accounts at the second statement cut).  So basically you have no history with Amex that will allow them to approve multiple charge cards in a short period.

Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, I don't know if you read my last post, but it pretty much dismisses your most recent concerns. but MaizeandBlue's suggestion seems most plausible, cuz otherwise I don't know why they wouldn't give you the gold card.
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.