Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBVA Preapproval Data Points

tag
Aim_High
Super Contributor

BBVA Preapproval Data Points

Out of curiosity, I went back to BBVA's Preapproval page as I have periodically done. 

https://online.bbvausa.com/apply/credit-card-prequal

They have physical branches in my area and I've considered getting a card from them.  Their site gives soft pull preapprovals.  In the past 12 months, I usually was given an approval like below, which even showed a starting limit.  (This screenshot was from June 2020.)  At the time, I wasn't ready to apply for this card however as I had other targets in mind.

BBVA_Preapproval_202006.jpg

In the past three months, I've added three new credit cards (Bank of America Premium Rewards, Wells Fargo Cash Wise, and AMEX Gold.)   I really had no intent to apply for a new card but was just curious about some prequals.  I wasn't completely surprised to have been denied this time around.  With my recent applications, I apparently crossed the line with them for inquiries and new accounts, so I thought the data points might be helpful to someone. 

They pulled Experian (Fico 09) and my EX inquiries were (reporting) 8/24 months and (scoreable) were 5/12 months.  That seems a low threshold to me for inquiries but it's consistent with the coronavirus changes we've seen with lenders.   I've added three EX inquiries recently so apparently 2/12 is okay but 5/12 is not.  So 3/12 or 4/12 might be questionable. 

They also mention new accounts.  My new accounts were 7/12 months in June, but I had a few age off in addition to adding new ones.   I was only 1/6 in June, so not a lot of recent new accounts.  So my new accounts in September are 8/12 but I also added 4 in the past six months.  I think the new accounts in six months was the controlling factor in my application.

I've never had a lender give me a decline letter on a soft-pull preapproval website.  Usually, the response was just "unable to approve at this time."   (The letter appeared instantly on the denial screen instead of being mailed to me, but it was a full letter with even my mailing address included.)  I was a little concerned at first that perhaps they did a hard pull, but the letter confirms it was just a soft pull.   Goldman Sachs also gave a binding soft pull preapproval on the Apple card, so I wish more lenders would offer these types of soft-pull preapprovals and also give you the "reasons" letter.

For anyone interested in soft pull preapprovals, there is a thread on My Fico with a list of other links:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/List-of-Soft-pull-PREAPPROVAL-Links-Updated-8...

BBVA_Decline_202009_01.jpgBBVA_Decline_202009_02.jpg

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
54 REPLIES 54
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: BBVA Preapproval Data Points

Excellent post. Thank you for sharing the data points. It is very helpful.

Message 2 of 55
sxa001
Valued Contributor

Thank you for sharing the datapoints for BBVA.  This is a a card I am considering getting in 2021, I will take a score hit when we get our mortgage at the end of this year so will have to keep an eye on that and probably won't want to add this one until 3-6 months after we close.  They used to send me marketing in the mail for this card pretty regularly, but so never bothered to apply.  I may try the pre-qualification tool for grins and to see my current EX9 but I am not going to apply for any new credit right now.  

Message 3 of 55
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Aim_High,

"I've never had a lender give me a decline letter on a soft-pull preapproval website.  Usually, the response was just "unable to approve at this time." 

You been seeking credit lately?   Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 55
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@Aim_High,

"I've never had a lender give me a decline letter on a soft-pull preapproval website.  Usually, the response was just "unable to approve at this time." 

You been seeking credit lately?   Smiley Wink

Ummmm ... I plead the Fifth, your honor! 
lol 😜

I mean, I am a My-Fico'er now! 😉

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 5 of 55
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Thank you for the DP's and specifics. 
it was a few weeks ago that someone had posted the prequel link to their site on here with details about availability of specific cards to certain states. I had looked a long time ago and was not in there geo-fence area so couldn't proceed. When I attempted a few weeks ago, I too was declined and received the same sort of letter online. I had just recently opened some other accounts too...feeling a little too brazen...but that's okay. I like seeing what SP prequels I am eligible for as well. 

I read an article last week in Bloomberg that was talking about how some banks were scaling back their approvals...as we've seen on here many times over...and it also talked about some banks sort of like "standing by" as pent up demand will cause them to not only provide more offers but also approvals.  I wonder if some of these bank "restrictions or preferences on INQ" will shift.  For instance, I don't see Chase leaving their 5/24 but wonder if banks like this will adjust. 🤔. Something to keep an eye on for sure. Thanks for sharing the story 

Message 6 of 55
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Aim, ironically I tried preapprovals today. Since I am in the middle of a mortgage, I tried a few different lenders for the best rate. They denied me for inquiries as well. I am 1/12 in new accounts (0/12 in November). 

Message 7 of 55
sxa001
Valued Contributor

@randomguy1 wrote:

Aim, ironically I tried preapprovals today. Since I am in the middle of a mortgage, I tried a few different lenders for the best rate. They denied me for inquiries as well. I am 1/12 in new accounts (0/12 in November). 

That is kind of a bummer to hear, I was thinking maybe I could slip the card in after we close but before the mortgage hits my report, if they are inquiry senstive sounds like I will have to wait a year after we close and then get it. 

Message 8 of 55
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

@sxa001 wrote:

@randomguy1 wrote:

That is kind of a bummer to hear, I was thinking maybe I could slip the card in after we close but before the mortgage hits my report, if they are inquiry senstive sounds like I will have to wait a year after we close and then get it. 

That would be the conservative approach. I can't speak on BBVA but some creditors will do a manual review and say, "Oh, those are mortgage inquiries. The rest of your profile looks good, approved."

Or you can have Citibank and they say "Sorry, we cannot approve you." - recent data points suggest this example with Citi. 

Message 9 of 55
Deuter
Regular Contributor

Well i'm not much of a fan of BBVA... i have an account in Spain and well.. it might be one of the better ones but i prefer banks in the US than Spanish. Also i have a BBVA account in Venezuela and that one works pretty well compared to other Venezuelan banks. 

Message 10 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.