Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays - Preparing for 2020 app

tag
800FICOGoal
Established Contributor

Barclays - Preparing for 2020 app

Even with it being a year from now, I'm thinking about things I may need to do(besides gardening) to prep for an Aviator Red app. So after reading posts about interactions with Barclays, I have some questions.

• History - I've seen posts from other MF'ers who were denied due to a lack of history. By this time next year, my AAoA/AoOA/AoYA will all be two years with no inquiries or derogs. I expect my scores to be in the 750-770 range. Will I suffer the same denial fate due to only having two years of history?  Should I wait an additional year before applying?

• Banking Relationship - I know that Barclays offers a savings account here in the US. So I was wondering if anyone can verify the ability to apply for a card while logged into one's online account like you can at Chase or Citi. 

• American Airlines - I'm lifetime AAdvantage Gold with AA (1.2 million miles flown) and a member since 2003. I'm also expecting to become Exec Plat by the end of the year, so I spend a pretty penny on airfare. Will Barclays be able to see those details of my AA relationship when I apply?

Rebuild Cards

Goal Cards

Loans
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Barclays - Preparing for 2020 app

@800FICOGoal wrote:

Even with it being a year from now, I'm thinking about things I may need to do(besides gardening) to prep for an Aviator Red app. So after reading posts about interactions with Barclays, I have some questions.

• History - I've seen posts from other MF'ers who were denied due to a lack of history. By this time next year, my AAoA/AoOA/AoYA will all be two years with no inquiries or derogs. I expect my scores to be in the 750-770 range. Will I suffer the same denial fate due to only having two years of history?  Should I wait an additional year before applying?  IMO, as long as your overall profile remains optimal, then you should be good.  Given that they can be finicky with thinner or young profiles, try not add any new accounts or HPs at least 6-8 months before applying - and definitely not afterwards for a while.

• Banking Relationship - I know that Barclays offers a savings account here in the US. So I was wondering if anyone can verify the ability to apply for a card while logged into one's online account like you can at Chase or Citi.  I'm not certain if it functions the same as Citi or Chase tbh.  However, it is my understanding that Barclays does not consider the depository side as an added "plus" when applying for any of their CC products.

• American Airlines - I'm lifetime AAdvantage Gold with AA (1.2 million miles flown) and a member since 2003. I'm also expecting to become Exec Plat by the end of the year, so I spend a pretty penny on airfare. Will Barclays be able to see those details of my AA relationship when I apply?  Unfortunately, no.  The AA loyalty information is not usually reviewed or evaluated for any approval consideration.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Based on  my experience, you definitely want to be under 5/24. BTW, any reason why the Barclay's card? Citi might be less finicky/easier. 

Though with your profile, you may need to add a Prime card first. I've heard that Chase tends to shy away from thin files, so you might have to build a little more. 

Since Amex Gold is on your list, once your EX breaks 700 I'd app for it. Having it may increase your chances with other lenders.

Message 3 of 6
800FICOGoal
Established Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

IMO, as long as your overall profile remains optimal, then you should be good. Given that they can be finicky with thinner or young profiles, try not add any new accounts or HPs at least 6-8 months before applying - and definitely not afterwards for a while.

I'm in the garden until I apply for the Barclays in 2020. After opening a Barclays card, is a year long enough?  My overall credit plan is to app only once a year.

@FinStar wrote:

I'm not certain if it functions the same as Citi or Chase tbh.  However, it is my understanding that Barclays does not consider the depository side as an added "plus" when applying for any of their CC products.
  Unfortunately, no.  The AA loyalty information is not usually reviewed or evaluated for any approval consideration.

Well thats disappointing. Smiley Sad

@Anonymous wrote:

Based on  my experience, you definitely want to be under 5/24. BTW, any reason why the Barclay's card? Citi might be less finicky/easier. 

I'll be 0/24 when I apply. The fact that I'll be at 0/24, 0 inquiries, no longer "new" accounts with higher scores was the reason I decided to garden for two years. If the two years isn't enough to get my foot in the door at Barclays, I may have to change my plan. Smiley Sad

My real goal is the Aviator Silver because of the EQM/EQD bonus and they give three miles per dollar of AA spend compared to two miles with the Citi cards. Based on my work and personal travel last year, that amounts to an extra 40-50k miles. However, I do want both the Citi and Aviator cards eventually.

@Anonymous wrote:

Though with your profile, you may need to add a Prime card first. I've heard that Chase tends to shy away from thin files, so you might have to build a little more. 

The only Chase cards I care about are the CSP/CSR. With my profile now, and even in 2020, I know they'll laugh at me. Smiley Happy  I won't consider them until I'm at an AOOA of at least 4 years. 

@Anonymous wrote:

Since Amex Gold is on your list, once your EX breaks 700 I'd app for it. Having it may increase your chances with other lenders.

Its funny you mention that. Based on things I've been researching here, Amex has been looking better and better lately(luvs thin files, subsequent SP pulls...) . When my 1 derog falls off by this coming June, my EX score will definitely exceed 700. However, I think I will hold off until 2020. Very tempting though!

Rebuild Cards

Goal Cards

Loans
Message 4 of 6
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

BTW your current EX FICO8 is high enough to pass muster with AMEX.

BarclayUS has an unofficial/unconfirmed but emperically suspected 6/24 rule, at least on their better cards such as the Arrival+.  They also focus on activity (inquiries, new accounts) within the 6 months before an application.  Barclay pulls TU by default and even now your current TU score is high enough to qualify for the card.

Given that you plan to wait an additional year to apply for the Advisor anyway, I'd suggest you see if you prequalify for any AMEX cards now and if so consider applying for one of their no-AF cards.  Given that you plan to wait an additional year before applying for the Advisor anyway, there will be more than enough time for any potential short term impact due to applying to have dissipated.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 5 of 6
kdm31091
Super Contributor

AFAIK, the Aviator card isn't subject to Barclay's 6/24 rule, although of course that isn't to say it never could or would be. Your relationship/status/etc with American Airlines means nothing it terms of approval or denial. American Airlines has nothing to do with the lending decision.

With Barclay, the general advice is to have few inquiries and no to few new accounts when you go to apply - the fewer the better. They like stable credit history with low credit seeking activity. I don't know that the Aviator is super hard to get relative to Barclay's lineup, so I'm not sure you have to plan a year out for it, especially since other cards may come along that suit you better. I think a period of "calm" in your credit file for 6 months before the app is probably sufficient if you do want the Aviator.

Honestly, with no inquiries and building a stable history, you will have plenty of options in a year, so make sure to shop around.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.