Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Chase credit cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best Chase credit cards?

I'm planning to bite the bullet while I am under 5/24 and apply for a Chase credit card. Lots of financial blogger consider chase's rewards program one of the best. I'm considering the Chase Freedom (nice to have another 5% rotating category card) since it sems to offer more options than the Discover It (which I already own). Since Chase will combine hard pulls in the same day, I'm also considering another one or two cards and max out the HP from chase (so 3 new Chase CCs). I've read that Chase limits you to 2 CCs per month, so I'll def aim for 2... maybe 3 on the same day.

i'm not interested in the chase freedom unlimited - i don't need another 1.5% card, esp when there are 2% cards out there. there are 3 I'm considering: 

1. CSP and CSR seem to get good reviews and worth the AF. Both come with a 50k point bonus right now.
  2. World of Hyatt gives you 1 free night a year
  3. IHG Premier has a 100k bonus + $50 statement bonus, global entry credit, 4th night free on hotel stays 4+ nights long, 20% discount purchasing pts, 10k bonus pts if spend $20k/per yr, free night on anniversary, but has an $89 AF

I don't travel a ton anymore, but still do travel enough where I would benefit from a global entry/TSA pre-check membership. While I don't like an AF, if it's covered by other benefits (ie global entry credit, travel credits, etc) then that's worth it IMO. The idea of a free hotel night is nice, too. I want something that maximizes points value and can be redeemed for statement credit or something else. I've read that UR points have the best value when booking travel. Statement credit redemption has lowest value.

What are your favorite Chase cards and why? I'm knew to the whole points/URs system so appreciate any insight you can provide. Thank you!

My FICO scores are in the mid 700s.   

Currently 0 inquiries, 2 late payments from 6 years ago, no derogatory marks.   Credit utilization 12%.

Income >$100k.   Average CC limit $7.5k.   Max CC limit $20k.

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Chase credit cards?

Might want to considere CFU if you're going CSR/CSP route. Below was an explanation that helped me understand how beneficial it can be to have CF and CFU:

@CBartowski wrote:

Valid question.

My answer would be that your value will come from Chases Unlimited Rewards points. I just made the switch from multiple cards from multiple companies and brought all my spendind under chase. If you consilidate and get one of the Chase Sapphire cards (preferred or reserve) your points will gain an extra 25% or 50% (10,000 points becomes 15,000) of their value upon redemption for certain things like travel. So although you'll be earning the same rate of points, all the points will be consolidated and you could get the extra 25-50% kicker. Even without the Sapphire card, I personally still find value in having my points in one place as they grow faster rather than have 1000 here and 4000 there you would have 5000 in one place.

Message 2 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

First, you said that you know Chase limits you to 2 cards per month, but you also say you might consider applying for 3 cards. I'm confused. 

Anyway, if you travel enough to cover the annual fee, go for the Chase Sapphire Reserve. Tons of benefits and all UR points get a 1.5 multiplier when redeemed for travel. So that 1.5% Freedom Unlimited you claim is useless with so many 2% cards out there is actually a 2.25% card. Look up the Chase Trifecta (or Quadfecta if you want to get fancy) and see how much value you can get from that. That's what I would go with. CSR and if you're interested go for the trifecta. 

Message 3 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry about the confusion, I meant another 1-2 card in addition to the Chase Freedom, so a total of 3 new Chase CCs. I edited my OP for clarity. My apologies.

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm considering the Chase Freedom (nice to have another 5% rotating category card) since it sems to offer more options than the Discover It (which I already own). Since Chase will combine hard pulls in the same day, I'm also considering another one or two cards and max out the HP from chase.

I didn't realize there was a 1.5 multiplier!! So that's why people get both the Freedom and Freedom Unlimited... Interesting. So the more Chase CCs you have, the more your points multiply? I thought the multiplier was only when redeeming for travel. So statement credit or gift cards is just the 1pt=1cent, but 1pt=1.25 cents when redeeming for travel. I'm really new to all this (always thought getting statement credit was best) and appreciate your explanation. Thank you. I do find it interesting no one's a fan of the co-branded CCs that give you 1 free hotel night per year... Always thought that was a nice perk. Right now IHG's co-branded Chase CC bypasses 5/24 rule and has a 100k pt bonus + $50 statement credit for signing up and spending $3k in 90days: 

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-ihg-premier-100000-point-offer/

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/f-a-q-about-chase-ihg-premier-100000-point-50-deal/

Thank you for sharing! I thought a 1.5% card was useless (I have Capital One's 1.5% and am going to get NFCU's 2% card soon; mb even the Citi Doublecash). Next year, I might get the Alliant 2.5% CB card. I'll look into the Chase Quadfecta Smiley Happy

Just curious - what was your TU FICO score when you applied for the Uber card? I'm planning to apply in October, after Discover's 5% CB on restos ends. I already have a Barclays card, but CLIs have been nonexistent. I'd like to get a high SL on the Uber but assume that's contingent on my FICO score. What did you have to get a $6.9k SL?

Message 4 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good to know! I've read that redeeming for travel is best. Does it matter if I get the CSR or CSP? Do they have the same multiplier or does the Reserve get increased redemption value? Interesting no one has mentioned any of the co-branded cards that give you a free night hotel stay... I always thought that was a nice perk. Right now IHG's co-branded Chase CC bypasses 5/24 rule and has a 100k pt bonus + $50 statement credit for signing up and spending $3k in 90days: 

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-ihg-premier-100000-point-offer/

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/f-a-q-about-chase-ihg-premier-100000-point-50-deal/

Are you saying I should get both the Chase Freedom *and* Chase Freedom Unlimited?

Looking at your signature, saw you had a couple NFCU CCs. Which ones are they? One looks like the Cash Rewards. The other (blue) is..? What was your EQ FICO score when you applied? Or did they pull TU, or both? I've heard NFCU gives out high SL, but I want to max my chances of getting the highest possible SL so I'm waiting to apply when my credit score is at least 750.

Also, what was your TU FICO when you applied for the Uber card? I have a Barclaycard for 2yrs and my CL has only increased by $400! How did you get a $9k SL?? I've been told most CCs usually take your avg CL into account when assigning you a SL. Planning to apply for the Uber CC in October after Discover's 5% CB on restos ends.

Message 5 of 26
BlueSea
New Contributor

The Chase cards when combined can be fantastic. Even though Chase Freedom Unlimited looks ordinary it's not. I'll give you 2 examples.
1.You decide to buy something from Best Buy for $2000. If you buy directly it's only 3500 points or $35 cash back. If you order that item from the Ultimate portal it gives 1% extra cash back so you'll get total of 2.5% cash back or $50 back. But that's not everything. If you decide to transfer the 5000 pts. to Hyatt you'll get a free night at their first tier hotels. Usually value between $100-$170. Even if it's only $100, it's still 5% cash back.
2. If you buy something from Home Depot. The bonus cash back is 2% + 1.5% standard= 3.5%. This is great as is. But if you transfer to Hyatt it's at least $140 back or total of 7% cash back.
You need the CSP or CSR to transfer the points though.
Message 6 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

The CSP is a 1.25 multiplier and the CSR is a 1.5 multiplier. Also you can opt to transfer the points to an airline or hotel and get up to 2 cents per point instead of 1.25 or 1.5. Chase quadfecta all the way!

Also my TU was somewhere around 740 when I got the Barclays Uber card. 

Message 7 of 26
Caught750
Valued Contributor

You may be able to squeeze a third card through the computer but I'd be careful with that. They are also 5/24 cards and I'm not sure how close you are to that. Best case you get all 3, not so bad case you get 2 the computer kills the 3rd, worst case Chase gets annoyed that you asked for way too much way too quickly and disregarded, potentially multiple of, their rules and shuts down everything if the third goes to a manual review.

Not to say things don't get through and you wouldn't be okay, just saying be careful if that's the path you choose.
PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
F8 Current F8s ~750 Best Ever F8s ~775
TOTAL PERSONAL CL > $350k and TCL > $365k
Message 8 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for this info! i didn't realize the UR portal could be used to purchase items without points. i thought you could only purchase items through the portal if you had already accrued points.

Is the 1.25/1.5 multiplier for earning pts, or for redeeming them?

if i have the chase freedom + freedom unlimited + either the CSR/CSP, do all my points get bumped up to the 1.25/1.5 multiplier? or only the CSR/CSP points get the 1.25/1.5 multiplier when i redeem through the portal?

Example: If I earned 100 pts from Freedom, can I combine with my other CSR/CSP pts (500 pts) = 600pts total and redeem all 600pts x 1.25 (or 1.5)? This whole points thing is quite confusing for me, since my other cards were 1pt=1 cent. Earning those points was always an uncomplicated 1.5x with the quicksilver.

WRT #2 - what do you mean by the bonus CB is 2%? I thought it was a 1.5% CB card + 1.5% (or 1.25% multiplier)?

@BlueSea wrote:
2. If you buy something from Home Depot. The bonus cash back is 2% + 1.5% standard= 3.5%. This is great as is. But if you transfer to Hyatt it's at least $140 back or total of 7% cash back.
You need the CSP or CSR to transfer the points though.

Is the CSR's $450 AF worth it? I read some negative changes, specifically no more 3x on $300 travel: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/negative-changes-coming-to-chase-sapphire-reserve-no-more-3x-on-300-t...

Plus, the travel portal is switching to Expedia: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-shifts-their-online-travel-portal-to-run-through-expedia/ (supposedly a good thing)

Appreciate your explanation. Didn't realize the savings could be so good with the CSR/CSP!

Message 9 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for sharing! would love to get a high SL like you!
Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.