Did you mean: 

Best Method Applying for CC’s

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best Method Applying for CC’s

Best Method Applying for CC's

Hi All. 
I applied for my 1st card back in Aug. 2017 and have received 3 additional cards since. My newest card is 6 months old making my AAoA 1yr, 2mo. I have only 1 INQ reporting on EX (relative to my newest account), and none for EQ and TU in the last 12 mo. I’ve been gardening since I received my newest card and intend to continue for some time to build history. However, while it’s on my mind I thought I’d ask before I forget: what is the best or at least a good method of applying for credit as needed over time? I’ve read somewhere about applying in 6 month intervals and to alternate hard inquiries among the 3 Bureaus by doing some homework before applying for a specific card, and to find out which Bureau, if not all of them, the CCC will pull from. Has anyone tried this method of applying or something similar? Is there a different method to use and what has been your experience? I’m trying to build history, but also strengthen my thin profile in the future with a couple more cards without severely affecting the history I build. I appreciate your time for reading and any feedback is welcome.

7 REPLIES 7
sjt
Senior Contributor

Re: Best Method Applying for CC’s

@Anonymous wrote:

Best Method Applying for CC's

Hi All. 

I applied for my 1st card back in Aug. 2017 and have received 3 additional cards since. My newest card is 6 months old making my AAoA 1yr, 7mo. I have only 1 INQ reporting on EX (relative to my newest account), and none for EQ and TU in the last 12 mo. I’ve been gardening since I received my newest card and intend to continue for some time to build history. However, while it’s on my mind I thought I’d ask before I forget: what is the best or at least a good method of applying for credit as needed over time? I’ve read somewhere about applying in 6 month intervals and to alternate hard inquiries among the 3 Bureaus by doing some homework before applying for a specific card, and to find out which Bureau, if not all of them, the CCC will pull from. Has anyone tried this method of applying or something similar? Is there a different method to use and what has been your experience? I’m trying to build history, but also strengthen my thin profile in the future with a couple more cards without severely affecting the history I build. I appreciate your time for reading and any feedback is welcome.

Congrats on your credit build!

I do think it helps to wait 6 months since the last card. Inqs. dont really matter if you dont have alot.

Honestly in your case, you should apply for a card that will give you the maximum benefits for your needs. Dont let the Inq effect what you are going to apply for.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 2 of 8
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't apply for new credit. You have 2 great options for credit limit increase with Amex and Cap1. Just keep requesting credit limit increases. I think 6 months for Amex. Idk about Cap1. You will see yourself at 25K CL on the Amex in a year and a half or so if you hold onto fewer cards for a longer period of time. I would hold off until you hit at least 2.3 years...and even then only apply for 1 card. 

Just my two cents.

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 3 of 8
Remedios
Credit Mentor

The best time to apply for a new credit is when you actually need it vs. just trying to add more cards.
With young files like yours, longer you are without new apps, better the results when you actually do apply.

With that said, six months may be sufficient but a year would be optimal.
Message 4 of 8
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Pick a card you like.  Research it.  Then app for it. 

If approved, go to the garden til Christmas

If denied, go to the garden til Thanksgiving

Good luck

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 5 of 8
LittleSal
Frequent Contributor

I would garden until your AAoA is 2 years.  This will give you a Fico score boost and better SL on your new card.  

I try to wait until my AoYA is 1 year before apping for new cards.   This usually yields good results.  GL

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! I was planning on waiting until my AoYA is 1yr, 6mo., if not a year before applying for a new card.
Message 7 of 8
Remedios
Credit Mentor

For what it's worth, if you've done your research, I think you're good to go for one app. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.