cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best credit card to apply for when targeting STREAMING SERVICES rewards/cashback ?

tag
sean31732
Valued Member

Best credit card to apply for when targeting STREAMING SERVICES rewards/cashback ?

Hello everyone! Smiley Happy

Lately, I have been weighing whether or not to apply for a few more credit cards to address SPECIFIC holes in my CC portfolio. One of those targeted categories is STREAMING SERVICES.

I view streaming services about 90% of the time. It's largely how I consume live/current television entertainment and movies. So it's a big part of my non-work related free time.

I have been using my tried and true AMEX BLUE CASH PREFERED credit card (6% cash back on streaming) to pay for a large number of my favorite services. This works out well since AMEX has a pretty long list of streaming channels to choose from. I subscribe to many of these on a recurring monthly, or yearly basis.

And while this one card does offer MOST of the streaming services that I like, it does cover them all. (not sure any card out there does) And it carries a $95 annual fee as well. This is not a deal breaker for me with all the other cash back that I get with this card. When you add up all the available categories combined, I still come out comfortably ahead after the annual fee is applied. But like everyone here, I'm always looking for the best deal possible. ($$$$)

But if anyone has a better CC in regards to streaming rewards WITHOUT an annual fee I'm all ears. 😎

Note: I also have another CC that has a dedicated 3% streaming cash back category, and it has NO ANNUAL FEE! 👍

There's just one problem...it only has about ten streaming channels to choose from, all of which are already offered by my AMEX BCP card. 😒

So my question to the MyFico forums is...

Which CC do you use to pay for STREAMING, and which services does it cover that my AMEX BCP doesn't???

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking about applying for 2-3 CC in the September-October timeframe. Haven't decided which ones yet. That will largely hinge on what hole it succeeds in closing. (that my current roster of credit cards does not)

Thanks in advance to anyone with some valuable advice on this specific topic.👍 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
CreditCobra
Regular Contributor

Re: Best credit card to apply for when targeting STREAMING SERVICES rewards/cashback ?

The Elan Max Cash Preferred will get you 5% and no annual fee, plus you could get another 5% category. It's available from a ton of financial institutions.

https://card.myaccountaccess.com/credit/visa-max-cash-preferred.do

Current Cards:

Stats (updated: 4/21/2024):

Message 2 of 4
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

Re: Best credit card to apply for when targeting STREAMING SERVICES rewards/cashback ?

I went through this analysis last year by comparing Amex, Barclays, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Discover, and US Bank.  Like you, I found that Amex cited more qualified streaming services than most other banks.  US Bank has almost as many as Amex, while the others were far behind.  Can you specify which services you use that are not covered by Amex?  I have a spreadsheet made up to cross reference all the banks I listed above.  Personally, I am in search of cards that cover Acorn TV and Philo.  Discover has Philo, but streaming is only periodically a 5% rotating category.  In the meantime, I just put Acorn and Philo charges onto some sock drawered cards so they have some activity.

April 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, NO New Revolver
FICO8:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 12 mos | New Accounts: 0/6, 0/12, 2/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 3 of 4
mfinsmi1
Established Contributor

BMO Harris Cash Back Mastercard 

• Get 5% cash back on eligible streaming, cable TV and satellite services1NEWGet 5% cash back on eligible streaming, cable TV and satellite services

•  

Get 3% cash back on eligible gas and grocery purchases1†ENHANCEDGet 3% cash back on eligible gas and grocery purchases,

•  

Get 1% cash back on all other eligible purchases

Personal Cards (Over $100k):

Business Cards:

Rebuilding Starting Scores - December 2021

FICO SCORE 8/9 - Current 1/6/23

Stats: : 3/6; 8/12; 17/24 --- AAoA 3 YRS, 8 MO --- INQ: EX-6/TU-7/EQ-2
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.