cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better to ask for Large or Small Credit Line Increases?

tag
leo222
Contributor

Better to ask for Large or Small Credit Line Increases?

Was wondering what you guys thought about this...I generally try to be conservative with my CLI requests when they ask me how much I want (i.e. I will ask for maybe a $1000 increase on a $6k or $7k card). Generally, this has been working for me - With that said, I recently did a CLI with Citi Diamond where they didn't ask how much of an increase I wanted, and they ended up automatically upping me from $3500 to $7500...So, I'm wondering if I'm undershooting my requests? My line of thinking is that a conservative request will have a greater chance at approval, and I really don't want to have a CLI denied if I'm asking for too much.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Better to ask for Large or Small Credit Line Increases?

@leo222 wrote:

Was wondering what you guys thought about this...I generally try to be conservative with my CLI requests when they ask me how much I want (i.e. I will ask for maybe a $1000 increase on a $6k or $7k card). Generally, this has been working for me - With that said, I recently did a CLI with Citi Diamond where they didn't ask how much of an increase I wanted, and they ended up automatically upping me from $3500 to $7500...So, I'm wondering if I'm undershooting my requests? My line of thinking is that a conservative request will have a greater chance at approval, and I really don't want to have a CLI denied if I'm asking for too much.

I'm pretty sure that almost all lenders will simply make you a counteroffer if they're disinclined to approve the requested amount. So I don't think you have anything to lose by going for the gold.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 6
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

I don't believe asking for less will make it any more likely for an approval. If you ask for too much, many DPs show that lenders have no problem offering you a lower amount.

Message 3 of 6
zerofire
Valued Contributor

Let me tell you a story. I was like you once. Naive and hoping to get more breathing room on a $300 credit line attached to my Bank of America Cash Rewards card. I would put in a request and get to $600, another request to $1000, another request to $3000. Then another to 6000. After that point I started reading this forum and noticed 3x the existing limit was standard and options existed to break out of toy limit hell with rapid 10x increases sometimes. I was racking up extra HP's for going at a fraction of the growth rate I could have just because I was nice. Also I would have suffered less at the smaller limits. I stopped being nice to banks and started extracting higher numbers along with getting higher bumps. Now I can easily drive a Toyota Corolla through my card if I wanted to and a dealer would be willing to charge it. Most lenders either do not let you choose and you get what they offer which is the best option. Otherwise you play a game of credit limit roulette with either your number being agreed to or getting offers that more closely match what they can give. If they agreed then it was too low to begin with. You best bet is to look up what criteria the bank uses and shoot for the moon.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 4 of 6
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@leo222 wrote:

A cli will be granted based off  their algorithms  and your profile, not how much you ask. Imho, when given the chance to request a specific amount, shooting a little higher than normal is good so as not to leave potential credit on the table  and maybe suprise yourself that they give what you ask. Know thy lender and their cli practices. Shooting for the moon is all good  but asking for 100k on a  card that ones profile doesn't really support may rub an UW wrong if it's manually reviewedSmiley Wink. Just my viewSmiley Happy

Message 5 of 6
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

Keeping in mind that a bank will only grant you what they think you can handle...

I used to do the itsy-bitsy CLI request thing, thinking it gave me a better chance of approval. Then, after hanging around here a lot, I tossed that theory out the window! Now I ask for RIDICULOUS increases, knowing full well that the bank may deny it outright, or counter with a smaller offer--or approve it! And I've had all three results.

It actually boils down to how creditworthy the bank believes you are. If there is some kind of internal boo-boo associated with asking for big increases, I'm unaware of it.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.