Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BoA Travel Rewards. Should I Apply?

tag
JohnSnow
Valued Member

BoA Travel Rewards. Should I Apply?

I was thinking of sometime having a good travel card. My initial goal was to pc my cap1 platinum (1k) to one of the venture later. Now I'm looking at BoA travel card and just pc my card to the savor later as I also don't have a dining and entertainment card either. 

I already have the bankamericard secured (1k) and a platinum member so I'm hoping my relationship with them the past 10 years and the funds i have with them will approve me? My scores are shaky (ex:675 w/ 9 inquiries, TU 676 with 3 inquiries). I never had them pull my equifax 

my goal is to get it soon since they are the only bank I use. 

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: BoA Travel Rewards. Should I Apply?

@JohnSnow wrote:

I was thinking of sometime having a good travel card. My initial goal was to pc my cap1 platinum (1k) to one of the venture later. Now I'm looking at BoA travel card and just pc my card to the savor later as I also don't have a dining and entertainment card either. 

I already have the bankamericard secured (1k) and a platinum member so I'm hoping my relationship with them the past 10 years and the funds i have with them will approve me? My scores are shaky (ex:675 w/ 9 inquiries, TU 676 with 3 inquiries). I never had them pull my equifax 

my goal is to get it soon since they are the only bank I use. 

I would recommend waiting for BoA application. Wait until the secured card graduates. How long has it been since account open? Once you have graduated, wait some more. Wait for prequal offer on your online portal. Wait for your scores to increase. Wait for your inquires to be unscoreable. Last but not least, wait.

BTW. Once your secured card graduates, you can request CLI if eligible. You can also request a product change to Travel Rewards.

Message 2 of 14
JohnSnow
Valued Member

It's been 8 months. I'm hoping for a big CLI when it does unsecure. 

waiting is tough sometimes but I'll try to be a little more patient 

Message 3 of 14
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@JohnSnow wrote:

Have you called into CSR and ask for early graduation? If no, why are you waiting? If yes, what was the for denial?

I would recommend seeing what you can do to improve your scores. IIRC, BoA uses TU for CLI and EX for new card applications. It may vary on region. Not sure which bureau they use to review secured card for graduation.

Message 4 of 14
JohnSnow
Valued Member

@AllZero wrote:

@JohnSnow wrote:

Have you called into CSR and ask for early graduation? If no, why are you waiting? If yes, what was the for denial?

I would recommend seeing what you can do to improve your scores. IIRC, BoA uses TU for CLI and EX for new card applications. It may vary on region. Not sure which bureau they use to review secured card for graduation.

I haven't asked yet. I was a bit apprehensive and didn't want to jump the gun and read around kind that the 12th statement might be good time to ask. 

Message 5 of 14
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@JohnSnow wrote:

@AllZero wrote:

@JohnSnow wrote:

I haven't asked yet. I was a bit apprehensive and didn't want to jump the gun and read around kind that the 12th statement might be good time to ask.

No time like the present. Call tomorrow during operating hours. If you get a denial, mark your calendar for the following month. Repeat as necessary. Just ask if you are eligible for graduation from secured to unsecured credit card product.

Platinum status may or may not help your endeavor. I do not know. Hopefully, it helps.

ETA If that doesn't work, call upon the service of Ser Davos.

is Jon Snow. Game of Thrones season 7 funny humour meme Jon Snow Kit Ha.is Jon Snow. Game of Thrones season 7 funny humour meme Jon Snow Kit Harington Ser Davos Seaworth Kit Harington, Game Of Thrones Saison, Game Of Thrones Meme, Frases Game Of Thrones, Game Of Throne Lustig, Playstation, Xbox, Game Of Thrones Instagram, Netflix

Message 6 of 14
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Call and ask. The worst that can happen is they say no.

Have you considered the Cash Rewards card instead and selecting Travel as your 3% (3.75% in your case since you have Platinum status) category for up to $2500 spend per quarter?  You can change the category once per calendar month if you have no travel spend.  I don't know your spending pattern so can't say it would be a better fit for you than the TR but it's an option.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 7 of 14
DebtStinks
Established Contributor

x2...what @coldfusion said.

NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 (Opened 1/19) - NFCU Platinum $21000 (Opened 1/21) - TTCU Platinum Visa $10000 (Opened 10/18) - Discover $5500 (Opened 11/21) - Barclays View MC $5000 (Opened 1/19) - Capital One Platinum $3500 (Opened 2/19) - Capital One World Elite MC $1000 (Opened 3/21) - Target Store Card $2000 (Opened 10/18) - Floor & Decor Store Card $42500 (Opened 10/18)
Closed - PenFed $35,000 - Cap1 World Elite MC $11,200
Total CL - $115500

CH7 BK Filed 8/1/17 Discharged 11/7/17

Scores as of 2/18/21:

Inquiries Last 12 Months:
Message 8 of 14
JohnSnow
Valued Member

UPDATE

I called in and asked and was instantly graduated! I was asked if i wanted a CLI and said yes but fumbled and asked for 1500 increase (not a big phone negotiator). This brings my CL to 2500 and I was hoping for 5000 total but beggers cant be choosers and what not.

I was hoping it could product change to the cash rewards so i can earn those rewards mentioned but was told it was not possible so i might try to ask later. 

Message 9 of 14
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!! So glad it worked in your favor!

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.