cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BoA credit application was declined due to recent negative balance on my savings account.

tag
CCWarrior
Established Member

BoA credit application was declined due to recent negative balance on my savings account.

Hello. My application was declined onlined. When I called senior credit analyst using backdoor number she stated that main reason for decline was that my saving account was negative in the recent time. I remember I had -5$ for about a month (I rarely use BoA savings and checking accounts) and said recon was declined as well. My FICO scores across the board around 760, Util around 18%. Do I need to keep calling again?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
ZackAttack
Established Contributor

Re: BoA credit application was declined due to recent negative balance on my savings account.

I don't think that will do anything if you recall again.

I would just pay the negative funds on the BofA accounts you have and then close the accounts since you don't use BofA (assuming that you have taken your money to another bank). After that, I would wait for about 3 months and try reapplying again.

MSGCU Rewards | $8kDiscover Cash It | $10kAmex BCP | $15kBest Buy Visa | $20kChase Freedom Flex | $8kDCU Platinum | $8kNFCU Plat | $35kNFCU cashRewards | $24kAffinity FCU Cash Rewards | $7kAmazon Prime | 12.5kChase Unlimited | 16.4kUSAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex | 10kAmex Business Cash | 10k

Loans
Ford Credit Car Loan 2-year 6/22/2023 ($299/month)
Closed
Michigan Schools & Gov't CU Titanium 1/4/2019 - 10/2/2020
Ford Credit Car Loan 3-year 7/31/2018-6/6/2021
$1,500 Discover Card 10/2/2020 - 8/18/2021
$3,500 Citi DC 10/14/2020 - 12/11/2021
$8,000 DCU Personal Loan 5-year 5.99% 10/2/2020 - 4/30/2021
$8,000 NFCU CashRewards 1/2/2021 - 7/30/2022
$5,000 MSGCU Personal Loan 3-year 7.75% 4/22/2022 - 10/30/2022
Ford Credit Car Loan 2-year 6/7/2021 - 6/22/2023
Message 2 of 10
CramEiko
Established Contributor

Re: BoA credit application was declined due to recent negative balance on my savings account.

@ZackAttack wrote:

I don't think that will do anything if you recall again.

I would just pay the negative funds on the BofA accounts you have and then close the accounts since you don't use BofA (assuming that you have taken your money to another bank). After that, I would wait for about 3 months and try reapplying again.

+1

Banks have a separate coding system that they share. Separate from Credit Reporting Systems, it's all internal so that someone doesn't just keep screwing with banks and head to the next one.

Good Luck!

Updated Feb 2023:
Citi Double Cash: $26,300
Citi Costco: $33,800
PenFed Power Cash: $50,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited: $33,400
NFCU Cash Rewards: $29,000
BoA Unlimited Cash: $99,900
Wells Fargo Active Cash: $50,000
Citi AAdvantage Executive: $30,500
Wells Fargo Mortgage 30yr fixed 3.625%

Business Cards:
BoA Business Advantage Unlimited Cash: $8,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000

RIP: EECU PLOC | BBVA PLOC | Chase SP | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | WF Propel | Cap1 QS | AMEX Gold | BoA Custom Cash | Lowes | Barclays Aviator Red
Message 3 of 10
CCWarrior
Established Member

Thank you!
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CCWarrior wrote:
Hello. My application was declined onlined. When I called senior credit analyst using backdoor number she stated that main reason for decline was that my saving account was negative in the recent time. I remember I had -5$ for about a month (I rarely use BoA savings and checking accounts) and said recon was declined as well. My FICO scores across the board around 760, Util around 18%. Do I need to keep calling again?

You will eventually receive an Adverse Action notice in the mail and it will be interesting to know what it cites as the reason; perhaps something like "previous unsatisfactory relationship."

In any event, having an overdrawn account is a serious no-no and grounds for credit denial.  In addition to your credit report, banks also check consumer reporting agencies like Early Warning Systems, Telecheck, and Chexsystems.  Bank of America is one of the founing members of Early Warning Systems.  Calling them again will not get the decision reversed.

Message 5 of 10
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Going negative on a savings account usually happens when an automatic transfer occurs to cover an incoming NSF check.  Did you have a history of returned items?

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 6 of 10
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@CCWarrior wrote:

Since the negative was the main reason, were there other reasons too? Did she say what they were?

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 7 of 10
CCWarrior
Established Member

Negative happened on my BoA savings due to 5$ monthly charge for savings account. It stayed negative until my paycheck arrived when I noticed it and transferred money from checking to savings. She told me that was the only reason credit card application was declined.
Message 8 of 10
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Thats sucks then.  $5 is a rounding error today.  Sorry OP

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 9 of 10
NaaryalHead
Regular Contributor

Declined over a tiny $5.  That's just crazy. *smh*

5k+ CLs: Chase Amazon, Cap1 QS1,
10k+ CLs: BofA Cash Rewards, Amex Cash Magnet, Citi DC, Barclays Uber, Citi Premier, Chase Saphire Preff,Cap1 Savor1

Torch bearer of the Bucketeers' Society. Shamefully carrying a bucketed Cap One QS1 with AF & zero chance of a PC.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.