Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BofA CLI request link still there after CLI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BofA CLI request link still there after CLI

Finding out from these forums that many of the cards that I have do SP CLI's has been great, thanks to all who keep track of and post this info.  I never dared request these in the past fearing a HP.

Files are mature, thick, clean, no inq.  My income is and has been stable and substantial.  My balances have been slowly trending down for the last year and a half, got hurt with some medical bills a while ago and on the cards they went.  BT deals really make a difference in paying this down but the balances are pretty hefty, I'm at about 45% util right now, will be more like 35% once all my accounts with recent SP CLI's report.  I'm carrying the large balances as BT's on just my two biggest cards.  I have numerous other cards, most with generous limits that are all used for specific purposes and PIF monthly.  Padding would be nice to help my score and make sure I can keep getting BT deals as I pay down but I don't want to freak the banks out and get AA'ed.

SP CLI background, within the last month, only the Amex has reported the CLI at this point:

Amex Blue $3,900 -> $10k

Comenity BJ's $12k -> $15k

Discover it $18k -> $23.5k

BofA CR $24.5k -> $30k

My latest request was on my BofA Cash Rewards card, I got this card back in 2004 with a SL of under $10k and over the years it had been auto CLI'ed up to $24,500 through heavy use, BT's, etc.  I used the blue "Request a credit line increase" link for $30k and got the instant approval.  I had assumed I might be leaving money on the table but afraid of freaking them out, pre CLI I had 89% util on this card with a decent BT deal.  But the link is still there!  Does this mean I could request more?  And if it does, should I?  I don't want to trigger them balance chasing me or something.  TU FICO on the BofA site is 779 but I expect that to drop possibly back as low as the 750's for a short time when another card reports just because of the timing of some BT's I did.

Just trying to figure out how much padding I can get without freaking anybody out and triggering AA on one or more of my cards somehow.  I've always felt like this kind of stuff was like playing with fire, when I was much younger I experienced balance chasing by Amex and Chase but my scores were much lower then.

8 REPLIES 8
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: BofA CLI request link still there after CLI

I don't think a CLI request would trigger balance chasing. If they wanted to do that, they would have already.That said, I also don't think that just because the button is there you can keep asking. I'm not familiar with BoA's CLI button, but if it didn't go away, I don't think it means there's still money on the table. Someone more knowledgeable about them will answer, though, I'm sure.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

So two short points to summarize, sorry for the long post above but wanted to include all the details:

1. Some posts I've read seem to indicate that the blue "Request a credit line increase" link goes away after a sucessful CLI. Mine didn't, what does this mean if anything?

2. Are successful CLIs without HPs always viewed as neutral or good, or can they be seen as negative, credit seeking, etc, especially for someone with my files which are all outstanding except for large balances on 2 of 8 cards?  It's not just the SP CLI request I'm concerned about looking bad internally, it's also creditors seeing my CL's go up on numerous accounts.  It will help utilization/padding which was the goal but am wondering if it's ever a warning flag in some cases.  i.e. can I keep requesting these at reasonable intervals or am I poking a bear?

Message 3 of 9
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

The "request a credit limit increase" hyperlink does not immediately disappear if you request a CLI.  It will remain until BoA runs their nightly batch processes.  

If you requested a CLI and were autoapproved the link should be gone the next day.  If you tried again the same day it normally triggers a manual review and you'll get the standard 7-10 day message.

If you request a CLI and you get a 7-10 day message,  if the link is still there the next day it means that your request was denied. (conversely, the link not being there the next day does NOT necessarily mean your request was approved)

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, really interesting.  So this is an interesting datapoint I guess.  I pulled the trigger on this yesterday and the link's still there today.  I'll keep an eye on it and see if it disappears.

Message 5 of 9
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow, really interesting.  So this is an interesting datapoint I guess.  I pulled the trigger on this yesterday and the link's still there today.  I'll keep an eye on it and see if it disappears.

Roughly at what time EDT did you apply yesterday?  Normally this senario unfortunately translates into a denial but if you applied very late last night or even early this morning EDT - for example if you're on the west coast and applied at 11PM local time - the request might have been logged too late for the removal to be triggered.

Keep an eye on the current credit limit on the card, if they grant an increase you'd normally be able to see it even before you got the congratulatory email.  

(3/2024)

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is a darn good question.  I don't remember exactly, it was later yesterday afternoon.  But the successful request e-mail came from them at 4:06pm EDT.

To be clear I didn't make two requests, just one that was definitely successful for $24.5k -> $30k.  Not only did I get a page immediately telling me that it had been successful, it showed on the account just a few minutes later, I just logged out and in again and it was there.

I just thought it was interesting the link was still there today and wondering if it indicated that it could be used again right away - and if so, if I should use it or not.  Or more generally if it indicated anything else interesting to anyone, I know sometimes these data points are useful.

Message 7 of 9
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

If you got everything you asked for it could be a sign that the autobot thinks you're still eligible to ask for more.

(3/2024)

$1M+ club

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Link's gone today, and I got a survey in e-mail this morning.  Maybe just didn't get run in Tuesday night's batch.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.