Do the steps ever end?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: CAP 1 credit steps

@Anonymous wrote:

Do the steps ever end?

Yes, when you receive you steps increase. 

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

im not familiar but i have a friend on increase #3 went 300 500 now at 750 and that is 12 months in,, someone who has rode the train to the end of the track will chime in soon.......

Message 3 of 9
DCreationrebel
New Contributor

Greetings yes April 2018 I was approved for a Platinum MasterCard for $1,500 then August 2018. I product changed it to a No Fee Quicksilver, I requested a CLI it was bumped up to $1,600 then Sept 2018 my Credit Steps added $1,400 extra since then my credit limit since the Credit Steps is $3,000. You only get credit steps 1 time after 5 months of timely payments.
Message 4 of 9
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Keep in mind with cap one  credit steps, your card will most likely be bucketed and it will not grow very high limit wise. 

Building a good relationship with them will get you better cards down the road though.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long did you have it before you product changed?
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was able to change mine after the 3rd or 4th payment, and got part of my steps increase at that time. Once the steps were completed, I got the rest. That was around July of last year. Since mine was a bucketed starter card it also is unlikely to grow much. I started at $300, moved to $400 with the first increase, then $500 at the end of the steps. I got another $100 earlier this month. I assume the card will grow like that, maybe $100 or so every 6-12 months. No matter what happens and how well you improve, a bucketed card will almost always remain limited, but that’s OK. Making it a no-AF Quicksilver benefit card means cash back and for small monthly spending the $600 it’s at now is fine. Amex is my main go-to but I can find use for the QS also. I probably won’t app for another card from them since I feel I can get better rewards and higher limits for less intense spending from other lenders, not to mention getting other cards for one HP instead of three from CapOne, but I can justify keeping the card and using it.

Case in point - Savor is a good card from them, but why take a triple pull for it when I already have Amex Gold that was granted for a single SP and has overlap on the dining rewards? Gold gives MRs instead of cash back but I can use the MRs so to me it’s a wash.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which does Amex pull?
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex pulls Experian almost exclusively. There have been times when some had a different bureau pulled but I think it was because EX was frozen. With Amex, count on EX pulls.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.