Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CFU - Apply now or later?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CFU - Apply now or later?

Hello,

I'm a college student relatively new to CC's looking for some advice.

Current cards:

Discover it Student Cash Back (December 2019, $1.5K Limit)

Capital One Secured Platinum (June 2019, $700 Limit)

1FBUSA Visa (August 2019, $1000 Limit, increased from $250 a few days ago)

FICO8 - 724 - 2 HP (From Discover app, so TU, I believe)

I've had a Chase checking account since early last year and recently checked and saw that on the Chase App, it says that I am prequalified for a number of cards (CFU, CF, CSP, Slate) and I also got an email for the same CFU offer I see in the app (I have never gotten any in the past). I would really like to strengthen my relationship with Chase, so I am considering applying for a CFU. I know that Chase prefers that you have 1+ years of history, but I'm thinking that the prequalification and checking account will strongly (Maybe? Not sure) help. (Also, I noticed that I can only see the prequalifications in my app, but when I check online, or enter my details into the Chase prequal website it doesn't show any for some reason) Regardless, I will obviously wait if its better for me to do so, but I'm pretty unsure.

Even if we assume that I will get accepted, I'm not sure if applying for a new card is the right move for me at the moment and don't really know what steps to take. I figured that the CFU might be good for me as I frequently find myself spending outside of the Discover's 5% categories and got the $200 SUB for the CFU.

TLDR: Chances for the CFU and is it the right move for me to apply?

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
NimbusIII
Frequent Contributor

Re: CFU - Apply now or later?

I would wait if it doesnt show up with any offers from the prequalification app. I would wait until August when the two cards are a year old and you should be ok.

“The man who says he can, and the man who says he can not… Are both correct.”
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Being a chase customer should definitely work in your favor when you do apply.

As for when.. my opinion is that you should maybe wait until you're 3-4 months from your last application. So maybe in March or April.

Either way good luck with it!

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NimbusIII wrote:

I would wait if it doesnt show up with any offers from the prequalification app. I would wait until August when the two cards are a year old and you should be ok.

The thing is, I see it on my phone, but on the website it bugs out. Not sure why.

But still, would it just be better to wait until August, even if it does eventually show up everywhere?

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Being a chase customer should definitely work in your favor when you do apply.

As for when.. my opinion is that you should maybe wait until you're 3-4 months from your last application. So maybe in March or April.

Either way good luck with it!

Yea, that might be a good idea. Or maybe I should even just wait until August.

Message 5 of 10
Nomad3
Frequent Contributor

At the very least wait until your new cards are 6mo+, Chase can be picky when it comes to recent apps. I'd wait until the youngest card hits 1y and then if you do get in the door don't apply for anything else until the Chase card is 6mo old

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nomad3 wrote:

At the very least wait until your new cards are 6mo+, Chase can be picky when it comes to recent apps. I'd wait until the youngest card hits 1y and then if you do get in the door don't apply for anything else until the Chase card is 6mo old

Alright, so if I wanted to be extremely safe, I should wait until around the end of this year?

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

i think you should be safe after august, since i believe that's the one year anniversary of your oldest card.

even though you have the offer in your account, sometimes having a thin file might give you a low sl when you apply and get approved.

@Anonymous wrote:

@Nomad3 wrote:

Alright, so if I wanted to be extremely safe, I should wait until around the end of this year?

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

i think you should be safe after august, since i believe that's the one year anniversary of your oldest card.

even though you have the offer in your account, sometimes having a thin file might give you a low sl when you apply and get approved.

@Anonymous wrote:

@Nomad3 wrote:

I don't really mind a low SL, it's more that I just want to make sure that my chances of getting accepted are high. I don't have a very high income as I'm just a student and just want to build a better relationship with Chase. Although, I do understand that my chances aren't as high as they could be if I just waited a couple months.

Message 9 of 10
ZackAttack
Established Contributor

If I were you, I would walk into a branch and apply for the Chase Student Card. The card to me would kinda figure out out how much Chase will extend to you. The card would be first with a CL and if you do 5 Paid on Time within the first 10 months, they will do a SP CLI.

That must be something for you just to see where Chase would put you at if you put the card as your primary for those 5 months.

But you may want a couple of those cards to be 1 year at least. That was one of my first reasons why they deny me.

MSGCU Rewards | $8kDiscover Cash It | $10kAmex BCP | $15kBest Buy Visa | $20kChase Freedom Flex | $8kDCU Platinum | $8kNFCU Plat | $35kNFCU cashRewards | $24kAffinity FCU Cash Rewards | $7kAmazon Prime | 12.5kChase Unlimited | 16.4kUSAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex | 10kAmex Business Cash | 10k

Loans
Ford Credit Car Loan 2-year 6/22/2023 ($299/month)
Closed
Michigan Schools & Gov't CU Titanium 1/4/2019 - 10/2/2020
Ford Credit Car Loan 3-year 7/31/2018-6/6/2021
$1,500 Discover Card 10/2/2020 - 8/18/2021
$3,500 Citi DC 10/14/2020 - 12/11/2021
$8,000 DCU Personal Loan 5-year 5.99% 10/2/2020 - 4/30/2021
$8,000 NFCU CashRewards 1/2/2021 - 7/30/2022
$5,000 MSGCU Personal Loan 3-year 7.75% 4/22/2022 - 10/30/2022
Ford Credit Car Loan 2-year 6/7/2021 - 6/22/2023
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.