Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLI offer from US Bank

tag
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

CLI offer from US Bank

I received a letter by post from US Bank saying that my Cash+ card might be eligible for a CLI of up to 5k. Is it a legit offer or is it a typical letter from the marketing department? Would it be SP or HP?

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
13 REPLIES 13
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: CLI offer from US Bank

marketing - but USBank uses soft pulls for CLI requests.

(7/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 14
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

marketing - but USBank uses soft pulls for CLI requests.

Would you agree that it's more accurate to say US Bank sometimes uses soft pulls for CLI requests? They have been trying to HP me every time I have requested for the past two years, and I've asked many times. 

Message 3 of 14
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

You would be an exception to their usual practice.

(7/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 4 of 14
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

I think OP would be good, but all my requests I get alerts that they tried to do a HP against TU.  My limits are fine at 20k and 15.5k.  Just interesting how some people get SPI CLI's and others they want to HP.   Not sure what really determines this as certainly not score related from what I can see.

Message 5 of 14
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

It was eventually a HP and it got blocked because my TU was locked.

BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 6 of 14
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@xenon3030 wrote:

It was eventually a HP and it got blocked because myTUU was locked.

I wonder if it is something like say synchrony where reports got to be unfrozenn if you call credit solutions, but it is just a SP?  Not really worth the HP chance for me though to find this out.   Thanks for the additional DP on your experience

Message 7 of 14
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

@xenon3030 wrote:

I wonder if it is something like say synchrony where reports got to be unfrozenn if you call credit solutions, but it is just a SP?  Not really worth the HP chance for me though to find this out.   Thanks for the additional DP on your experience

I have long wondered the same thing. But the alerts I get from the various monitoring services invariably say they attempted a hard pull on TU. I'm a bit skeptical that would happen if US Bank was just checking for unfrozenness. Just like you, I'm not willing to risk it. 

An intriguing potential insight popped up on Reddit this week. There's an informal AMA thread in r/CreditCards by someone who claims to have been a credit analyst at an unspecified big name CC issuer. Based on various clues, I think it's most likely US Bank. That person says most applications (and, impliedly, most CLI requests) are approved or disapproved automatically, by software. It's unclear whether those are SP or HP, because that whole system is a mystery to the poster. But they say every app that goes to manual review triggers an HP. Based on all this, my guess is that something about my file is causing my US Bank CLI requests to go to manual review, which in turn triggers the HP attempts. 

Message 8 of 14
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

@Curious_George2 wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

@xenon3030 wrote:

I have long wondered the same thing. But the alerts I get from the various monitoring services invariably say they attempted a hard pull on TU. I'm a bit skeptical that would happen if US Bank was just checking for unfrozenness. Just like you, I'm not willing to risk it. 

An intriguing potential insight popped up on Reddit this week. There's an informal AMA thread in r/CreditCards by someone who claims to have been a credit analyst at an unspecified big name CC issuer. Based on various clues, I think it's most likely US Bank. That person says most applications (and, impliedly, most CLI requests) are approved or disapproved automatically, by software. It's unclear whether those are SP or HP, because that whole system is a mystery to the poster. But they say every app that goes to manual review triggers an HP. Based on all this, my guess is that something about my file is causing my US Bank CLI requests to go to manual review, which in turn triggers the HP attempts. 

I called them and provided them the promo offer number in the letter. They said that depending on the profile, it would be either SP or HP but they cannot tell in advance whether it would be either SP or HP.

I would go for a CLI, if it would be only SP.

Message 9 of 14
Beefy1212
Established Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

You would be an exception to their usual practice.

Nah... they often do HP for unsolicited cli... In OPs case they might do a sp after what is likely a choice word request to update income info.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.