Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CapOne Venture- Denied :(

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CapOne Venture- Denied :(

Just took a shot after getting approved for a Target Red Card last week, and a CLI on my CapitalOne QS1 a little while ago and applied for the Venture card. I wasn't sure if they'd approve me, but I hoped to at least get a counter offer for a Venture One. Flat out denial, letter in the mail in 7-10 days. Oh well, into the garden I go for a year or so until some of the inquiries come off of my reports. CapOne pulled all three bureaus today. 

DPs- TU was at 708 at the time of the pull. I had 2 HPs there at the time, and 3-5 on EQ and EX. Not sure what the EQ and EX scores were since they hadn't updated this week for me since I had two lower statements cut last week. UTIL at 43% according to Credit Karma. I know that's a bit high, and it probably bit me on this application but I was willing to take the shot. I've been making great progress on my utilization since March (started at 96%) and I'll keep bringing it down. I'm currently at 5/24 as well. 

Wish I could've made a post on the Approvals page today, but sometimes that's just how it goes! 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
mrcraft
Valued Contributor

Re: CapOne Venture- Denied :(

That's a big improvement in your utilization, going from 96% to 43%.  Keep working on that, your scores will go up, garden a bit and you'll be able to get whatever cards you want.  Good luck!

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mrcraft wrote:

That's a big improvement in your utilization, going from 96% to 43%.  Keep working on that, your scores will go up, garden a bit and you'll be able to get whatever cards you want.  Good luck!

Thanks for the kind words! Going to head into the garden for 12 months to let some inquiries fall off next summer and then I'll reevaluate. Looking like if all goes according to plan I'll be able to get my utilization down to a consistent 3-9% by October/November. 

Message 3 of 7
DebtStinks
Established Contributor

I'd be willing to bet with lower utilization and account aging as long as no other data points change, you'd be able to get an approval out of them! I think your goals are set accordingly, so I look forward to your post in the approvals section here in the near future! 

Meanwhile, keep up the great work on paying down your debt!

NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 (Opened 1/19) - NFCU Platinum $21000 (Opened 1/21) - TTCU Platinum Visa $10000 (Opened 10/18) - Discover $5500 (Opened 11/21) - Barclays View MC $5000 (Opened 1/19) - Capital One Platinum $3500 (Opened 2/19) - Capital One World Elite MC $1000 (Opened 3/21) - Target Store Card $2000 (Opened 10/18) - Floor & Decor Store Card $42500 (Opened 10/18)
Closed - PenFed $35,000 - Cap1 World Elite MC $11,200
Total CL - $115500

CH7 BK Filed 8/1/17 Discharged 11/7/17

Scores as of 2/18/21:

Inquiries Last 12 Months:
Message 4 of 7
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

The way C1 is positioning the Venture right now is a bit off kilter.

A couple of years ago there were all kinds of appovals for applicants with near-prime profiles with SLs upwards of $30K commonplace.

More recently they tightened the screws where even super-prime applicants were being denied. From reading up on denials it was if they were emulating BoA's positioning with the Premium Rewards card.

Sorry you got denied but take a little bit of solace that you're in good company.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 5 of 7
Iusedtolurk
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just took a shot after getting approved for a Target Red Card last week, and a CLI on my CapitalOne QS1 a little while ago and applied for the Venture card. I wasn't sure if they'd approve me, but I hoped to at least get a counter offer for a Venture One. Flat out denial, letter in the mail in 7-10 days. Oh well, into the garden I go for a year or so until some of the inquiries come off of my reports. CapOne pulled all three bureaus today. 

DPs- TU was at 708 at the time of the pull. I had 2 HPs there at the time, and 3-5 on EQ and EX. Not sure what the EQ and EX scores were since they hadn't updated this week for me since I had two lower statements cut last week. UTIL at 43% according to Credit Karma. I know that's a bit high, and it probably bit me on this application but I was willing to take the shot. I've been making great progress on my utilization since March (started at 96%) and I'll keep bringing it down. I'm currently at 5/24 as well. 

Wish I could've made a post on the Approvals page today, but sometimes that's just how it goes! 

Yeah it seems old cap1 has been getting a little tighter all over the place as of lately.  Wish they would cut down to pulling one bureau while they're in this tightening up phase at least a person could deal with 1 hp denial instead of 3.

Congrats on that utilization improvement!

Message 6 of 7
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

The way C1 is positioning the Venture right now is a bit off kilter.

A couple of years ago there were all kinds of appovals for applicants with near-prime profiles with SLs upwards of $30K commonplace.

More recently they tightened the screws where even super-prime applicants were being denied. From reading up on denials it was if they were emulating BoA's positioning with the Premium Rewards card.

Sorry you got denied but take a little bit of solace that you're in good company.

I remember those days--2015 to be precise. That's when I got both of mine 3 mos. apart and my profile was good but far from perfect. Now it seems almost impossible for avg. profiles to be approved for that card. And I'm not sure why--if you redeem your miles for cash it's basically a 1% card. And there are quite a few other cards that give 2% for no AF. The big limits and the sign up bonus were really the only things it ever had going for it TBH.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.