Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One CLI Time frame

tag
dynamicvb
Valued Contributor

Capital One CLI Time frame

What is the normal time frame after you open a CapOne card to request a CLI? I had a secured with them I opened when I first started rebuilding and I think I got one with it after the 2nd or 3rd statement. That card was not growing so I opened up a Savor One with a 10K SL and it's coming up on its 3rd statement. I have since closed the secured platinum.

I have run some decent spend(nowhere near the limit) since I got the card and its been PIF except one month that I did not pay it fast enough.

Not sure if I've had it long enough or not to request. I've seen some threads that talk about 3 months, some 5( which I think is the credit steps) and some that say it must be 6, just not sure. What are other's experience?

Started Rebuild 4/2018: EX 616| TU 604| EQ 621

Current 5/28/20:

First Goal Score: 750+ Reached 3/2019

Next Goal all over 800
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One CLI Time frame

You can begin requesting after 3 months but after receiving an increase, you have to wait 6 months before you can get another. 

Message 2 of 7
Remedios
Credit Mentor

It's a SP, so it really does not matter when you ask for the first one.
If you want to ensure you're getting one, wait till you put some decent spend through it.
Maybe those who were granted increase after 3 months used more of their limit.
Seeing how you wont be able to ask again for six months if CLI is granted, I would wait for 6 months from opening, while putting decent spend through it but not at expense of your finances.
Also, if you dont like the amount offered, you can always decline and try again later.
Good luck
Message 3 of 7
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

My CLI denial letters state you may only receive 1 CLI in a 6 month period. DW, however, requested a CLI and was approved then received an additional Auto CLI 3 months later.

I can say hitting the button early only harms trees.

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 4 of 7
dynamicvb
Valued Contributor

Thanks everyone. It will be cutting my 4th statement so I think I will give it a shot. I did just pay off 2400 of my discover and it’s going to report pretty close to PIF, so I think I will wait until that shows up on my reports before trying. I would like to get this card up to 20k, but not sure I should ask for that much. Will Capone counter if you ask for too much? Or more importantly will they say he is too greedy give him a denial.

Started Rebuild 4/2018: EX 616| TU 604| EQ 621

Current 5/28/20:

First Goal Score: 750+ Reached 3/2019

Next Goal all over 800
Message 5 of 7
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@mikesonthemend wrote:

My CLI denial letters state you may only receive 1 CLI in a 6 month period. DW, however, requested a CLI and was approved then received an additional Auto CLI 3 months later.

I can say hitting the button early only harms trees.

Six months rule is applicable to subsequent CLI requests. OP never asked for one before (or that's how I interpreted the OP) and I am not aware of any rule as to when first one can be requested. 

No trees will be harmed if paperless option was selected, maybe a few wasted 1s and 0s in that case 

Message 6 of 7
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@dynamicvb wrote:

Thanks everyone. It will be cutting my 4th statement so I think I will give it a shot. I did just pay off 2400 of my discover and it’s going to report pretty close to PIF, so I think I will wait until that shows up on my reports before trying. I would like to get this card up to 20k, but not sure I should ask for that much. Will Capone counter if you ask for too much? Or more importantly will they say he is too greedy give him a denial.

They dont care how much you ask for and they will counter with what the account is eligible for. 

It's computer deciding anyway, so feel free to enter any amount. It wont make a difference if you ask for more than what they are willing to extend at the time you ask. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.