Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One CLI question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One CLI question

I have two Capital One cards, a graduated Platinum with a $500 limit and a QS with a $500 limit. I have requested increases in the past and get the instant denial.

Yesterday I requested limit increases for both cards. I got a reply that I would receive an email instructing me how to proceed in the next 2-3 business days.

Anyone have experience with this? What should I expect?

My last CLI request denial was April 9th

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One CLI question

@Anonymous wrote:

I have two Capital One cards, a graduated Platinum with a $500 limit and a QS with a $500 limit. I have requested increases in the past and get the instant denial.

Yesterday I requested limit increases for both cards. I got a reply that I would receive an email instructing me how to proceed in the next 2-3 business days.

Anyone have experience with this? What should I expect?

My last CLI request denial was April 9th

The 2-3 day letter is usually a denial. A document should show up in the documents section of your account within a day or so with their reasons. Just received one of these myself on today. Have received several in the past. 

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bummer

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree that a 2-3 day letter is usally a denial. I've had a Capital One "Platinum" card since 2010 and it sits at an $820 SL. The times I've been approved for a CLI (I think it started at like $500 or something like that) it's been instant. The denials have been preceded by the 2-3 day notification.

Message 4 of 9
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Most likely a denial, unfortunately. Sounds like the classic bucket for those cards. You MAY get increases in the future, but they will probably be small and rare. If you don’t have any better cards, then hold onto those two. If you do have better options, though, I would close those two. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pinkandgrey wrote:

Most likely a denial, unfortunately. Sounds like the classic bucket for those cards. You MAY get increases in the future, but they will probably be small and rare. If you don’t have any better cards, then hold onto those two. If you do have better options, though, I would close those two. 

Yep, this has been my experience exactly with my Capital One card--small and rare increases. I keep it because it's the oldest credit card I have since I opened it in August 2010, and I don't have to pay an annual fee for it so I'm not losing anything by keeping it. The other credit cards I have were opened in August 2017 and January 2019.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your best bet is to put heavy spending on the cards carry about and run about $500 to $600 a month on it and if your account is eligible you should receive a CLI 6 months after your last increase. Otherwise your best bet he wait for your score to improve and from their apply for the cards that fall into the “Excellent Category”.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's almost a teenager... just put Netflix or Hulu on it to keep it alive and throw it in the shredder or use it as a coaster.

Message 8 of 9
Ms6Footer
Contributor

I have the same problem. I have a QS and a QS1 and while I’m grateful for the start they won’t grow. I use one for my sons LYFT app and one he uses to eat when he’s out and about. The good part for me about the low SL is there can’t be much damage done by my son. If he didn’t use them so regularly I would just close them. Today was 6 months since my last $100 increase and a no go when I tried today. Between the two cards they probably get 45 swipes a month. Score has increased 183 points since the approval. Grateful for my other cards.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.