cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One: Cancel then Apply or Apply then Cancel?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One: Cancel then Apply or Apply then Cancel?

I currently have a Capital One Quicksilver that has been sockdrawered for years after PCing one of my other cards to a Citi Double Cash. I've been wanting to PC my Quicksilver to the SavorOne for some time now, but Capital One does not currently offer the change. So, I'm thinking of just opening a new SavorOne account and closing my Quicksilver.

Now the question arises: Should I close the Quicksilver before or after applying for the SavorOne? Would closing it before applying free up available credit with Capital One and potentially get a higher CL (since they don't allow for reallocation of credit limits between cards)? I assume so, but I'm interested in your thoughts. Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Capital One: Cancel then Apply or Apply then Cancel?

A few things, and I'm sure you have considered them.  Triple pull - if you're ok with that.  Closing Quicksilver may "free up" the line, but it's likely not something that happens instantaneously (internal cycling), so a lot would depend on the timing of your application.  What is the current limit on QS?

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honestly I would go for a different card entirely. Like Amex BCE or even the new Citi card. 

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I currently have a Citi DC ($16k), Amex BCE ($30k), USB Cash+ ($14k), and the CapOne QS ($5k). The QS used to be at $10.5k, but CapOne hit me with a CLD in the early months of the pandemic due to lack of usage.

I'm not a frequent traveller, however, I'd like to keep a cashback card with no foreign transaction fees at my disposal just in case. The SavorOne meets the right balance as a card that actually fits into my current setup.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.