Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Mail offer , fake ?!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Mail offer , fake ?!

Hi guys, I was approved for a quicksilver One in February , today I received a real fancy envelope in the mail from capital one offering me a new card , it's for reservation number , access code, link to apply and QR code to apply too, also the APR is set at 23.99% should I apply or that's one of those bs offers that will only rack me an inquiry ?
thank you .

dan  

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Capital One Mail offer , fake ?!

It's probably legit but the screening to determine qualified potential applicants had probably been completed before you applied for the card.  It's typical for this particular process to take a couple of months after the demographic information is pulled e.g. "give me a list of everyone in zipcode 00000 with a FICO 8 score of between 670-720 and $50-100K of unsecured credit with no mortgage reporting who doesn't have any inquiries reported in the last 6 months", so what likely happened is that you applied for the card very soon after the demographic information was pulled.

It's happened to me before with BoA, PNC before as examples, where I had applied and was approved for a card but soon afterward I got preapprovals for the card I had just successfully applied for.

I would hesitate to apply because the state of your credit profile is different than it was a few months ago before you applied for this last card.  You might still be approved but the odds of approval would be diminished.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I agree not worth that inquiry just yet. No rush . 

Message 3 of 4
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes I agree not worth that inquiry just yet. No rush . 

It would actually be 3 Hard Pulls, which is what Capital One is known for, but definitely be selective and don't let a shiny marketing envelope drive your decision.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.