Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Steps CLI at 7th statement?

tag
beezer32
Regular Contributor

Capital One Steps CLI at 7th statement?

I've had my C1 Platinum and QS1 for 6 months now. They were both approved at the same time. For both cards, I hit the 'luv' button after the 3rd statement cut, resulting in a granted increase on both cards.

Now, from reading all of the numerous threads here on MyFico about how the Credit Steps work for these cards, I assumed that I'd get an auto-luv increase after either the 5th or 6th statement (as many C1 holders do with these cards). The fifth and sixth statements have come and gone. No increase.

So I called Capital One to first confirm that the cards were indeed enrolled in the Credit Steps program. They are indeed enrolled. Second I wanted to see if the 3rd statement luv increase had made me ineligible for another step at the 5-6th statement cut. The rep told me that the CLI at the third month would not interfere with any automatic CLI granted and that I would see the remainder of my full limit AFTER the 7th statement cut (next month). Of course providing I make all payments as agreed etc..

I wasn't expecting that. I've never ran across anyone getting auto luv CLI on the QS1 or regular Platinum cards after the 7th statement. Note that I AM okay with this (any CLI is great and I'm truly grateful) but I just wanted to put my experience out there for others to read.

The rep also told me that upon originally applying, C1 approves a total limit for the card, however only releases the limit to you in 'steps', hence the program name.

Just some info! Thanks for reading.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One Steps CLI at 7th statement?

Good data. There are many who post questions about CLI's in relation to their steps increases. This should be of some help for someone.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im in the same boat. My first card cli sppeared afewdsys after my fifth statement cut , but my seco d card is still waiting . Was hoping same pattern would follow, but trusy capital one doesnt have a pattern
Message 3 of 6
CountryLivin
Valued Contributor

I never could get an increase on my Platinum card.......I hope I get a decent CLI, I just paid my 5th statement, I am on the steps program also.

Message 4 of 6
beezer32
Regular Contributor

Just wanted to update my OP: Despite the CSR from C1 telling me I had to wait until the 7th statement, I had an increase to $1300 on both the QS1 and Platinum this morning. Exactly 1 day after my 6th statement cut.

So either the CSR had no clue what they were talking about, OR they tell people that as a time buffer so that you do not inundate them with calls about CLIs. Either way it goes, the traditional Credit Steps trend is still alive from my view. It sort of defeats the purpose of my starting this thread but at least people who get the "7th statement" comment from them will have hope now. Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

They do the increase whenever the computer gets around to it
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.