Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Card recommendations?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Card recommendations?

Hey everyone, I'd like to have a few opinions on what card(s) to apply for next, I'll try to be brief and thanks in advance. 

I'm at 4/24 at the moment, by mid March I'll be at 3/24 and by early April I'll be at 2/24. 

EX: 758

TU: 771 (yes these are FICO 8) 

AAoA: 1 year 6 months 

AoOA: 2 years 

AoYA: 1 year in March 

I'm more of a cashback person, I only travel once a year when I can. I'm tempted to get the CSP to lock in another Chase card but the card is in desperate need of a refresh and don't see value in it to pay an AF of $95. Other cards I'm eyeing: Amex Blue Cash Everyday, Chase FU. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Card recommendations?

Under 5/24 .. I suggest Chase. Smiley Happy

Take in the other suggestions to come shortly!

Message 2 of 8
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

Your siggy looks a lot like mine, haha. Do you spend a decent amount combined on groceries, streaming services (including iTunes and Apple purchases), and gas/transportation? If you're a cash back person like me the American Express Blue Cash Preferred has some pretty awesome earning potential. It's rates are high enough that it takes almost no effort to overcome the AF. 

edited for spelling.

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apply in branch for a waived first year AF on CSP

There's also referral capability + $50 grocery statement credit offer via online applications

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like the BofA Cash Rewards card. It lets you pick any catagory to get a constant 3% in and lets you change the 3% cash back catagory once a month. I personally don't use it too much since I put all my food on the Chase FU, but your Flex would do the same thing with the 3% dining. 

All this to say I think the BofA card would be a solid addition. 

Message 5 of 8
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

You already have the WF Propel, which itself isn't a bad travel card for people who don't regularly travel since it gives 3% back on restaurants/flights/hotels/car rentals/gas.

You also already have a 2% cashback card for unstructured spend in the Citi DC.

Next card? AMEX BCE to get the 3% back on groceries.

Card after that?  Chase Freedom Flex or Freedom Unlimited. 

Card after that?  BoA MLB Cash Rewards.  Equivalent to the core Cash Rewards card in all meaningful aspects including earnings and SUB except that it is issued as a Mastercard.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 6 of 8
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

Curious why the BCE is recommended instead of BCP? I guess it depends on monthly grocery spend - I should sit down and calculate the break-even point I guess.

Message 7 of 8
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

The break-even point is about $60/wk on grocery spend.  It also matters where you shop for groceries, as an example many Walmarts do not code correctly to get the 3%/6% cashback on grocery spend.

OP specifically mentioned they were looking at the BCE.  They also commented being uncomfortable with the CSP's AF;  that could be for any of a number of reasons but for example there are some people who are adverse to paying an AF for any card. .    

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.