Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Amazon Visa Recon

tag
Matt9543
Established Contributor

Chase Amazon Visa Recon

So Saturday I applied for the Chase Amazon Visa card. I was instantly declined. After looking through this site, I went ahead and decided to call and Recon. I talked to someone almost instantly and to her she basically told me that I was not approved because of my lack of accounts and length of accounts. Which I was totally honest to receive. I have had my first credit card since I turned 18, which is about 10 months. I am an authorized user on my parent's card, but they told me that the AU information wasn't looked at. 

What would be yur suggestions for a second card? I would prefer to get that card but if I can't get that card then I will go ahead and just choose to either wait or get another card. I like Discover but I would like to get a card that is more widely accepted. I have come acrossed many places, even on campus at school that don't take Discover. It's very limited unfortunately.

FICO Scores (current as of November 24, 2020): Equifax: 740 | Experian: 751 | TransUnion: 732
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Chase Amazon Visa Recon

Discover or Amex are the obvious choices for fairly thin profiles.. If you want an AMEX they just came out with a new 1.5% cash back card called the Cash Magnet that is targeted towards younger people in mind.  Chase like to see over a year with other lenders

Message 2 of 11
Matt9543
Established Contributor

What would be your take be on the Citi ThankYou Preferred for College Students card? They are still reviewing my application and I submitted it on Saturday. I figured nobody would have touched it over the weekend.

FICO Scores (current as of November 24, 2020): Equifax: 740 | Experian: 751 | TransUnion: 732
Message 3 of 11
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Matt9543 wrote:

What would be your take be on the Citi ThankYou Preferred for College Students card? They are still reviewing my application and I submitted it on Saturday. I figured nobody would have touched it over the weekend.

Not quite sure about college cards and how they work not alot of discussion on here about them.  If it is being reviewed vs. flat out denied that is a good sign from citi as they aren't afraid to do immediate denials vs. review.  I would sit it out if you are only looking for one card if you want more then pretty much your best options are discover as you mentioned or Amex.. If you are happy with the citi you most likely will be approved for wait on that decision best of luck either way!

Message 4 of 11
Matt9543
Established Contributor

With being an AU on my parent's card, Citi has been pretty reasonable. And the specific one that I've applied for is a MasterCard, which is pretty much accepted everywhere I have tried using a card. I will hold off on Amex for right now, I just don't want to try and apply for any more cards with still a very limited credit history.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Matt9543 wrote:

So Saturday I applied for the Chase Amazon Visa card. I was instantly declined. After looking through this site, I went ahead and decided to call and Recon. I talked to someone almost instantly and to her she basically told me that I was not approved because of my lack of accounts and length of accounts. Which I was totally honest to receive. I have had my first credit card since I turned 18, which is about 10 months. I am an authorized user on my parent's card, but they told me that the AU information wasn't looked at. 

What would be yur suggestions for a second card? I would prefer to get that card but if I can't get that card then I will go ahead and just choose to either wait or get another card. I like Discover but I would like to get a card that is more widely accepted. I have come acrossed many places, even on campus at school that don't take Discover. It's very limited unfortunately.

Have you received the rejection letter? I got approved for the Amazon Visa earlier this year when my average age of credit is about 6 months. Previously, I had the BOA and Discover card plus a checking and savings account on Chase. 

Message 6 of 11
Matt9543
Established Contributor

I called Chase and was told that because of my low age of accounts that they would not be able to approve me. My only credit card I have on my report is my Discover card though which I've had for 10 months.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't have a Chase account, but I think you should give recon another go. Tell them that you are aware that you are new to credit, but also would like an opportunity to prove yourself and build a relationship with Chase and if you are ok with starting off with a small limit, let them know that you are open to them start you off with a small limit just to slowly earn that trust. You have already taken the HP so, try to make it count, If the first one said no, perhaps the next one would have a different insight about it. Then if it is still a no, at least you tried and you know that you can always try again when your account reaches a little over a year.

Message 8 of 11
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Know a little about student cards due to helping a friend out in the past...

Usually student cards have slightly looser income and score requirements.. even some do not require a FICO score to generate .... (some cards use an "enhanced" score designed for new/thin credit profiles (Know Discover was using this at one point for theirs).... The limits on student cards are usually capped a little lower than standard cards but can and sometimes grow out of that limitation.... 

But for thin and new credit.... Discover and Amex are good options.... But id consider sitting back 5-6 months then revisit your options... 

Esp since you have some cards pending... BTW Chase unless you bank with them, and esp as a student, is not an easy card to get,  they tend to like to see folks with a year or so experience under their belt.  I.E  Not the first person to give you credit... and their recons are hard... 

Good luck

-J

Message 9 of 11
kdm31091
Super Contributor

As others have mentioned, Chase is generally not fond of being one of your first accounts. They tend to prefer a year+ of history with other accounts.

I would look into AMEX or Discover, and give Chase another try down the road. While another recon won't hurt, it is IMO unlikely to be succesful at this time.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.