cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Card Application Question

tag
Primalorbit

Chase Card Application Question

I am going to try and make this short and sweet. I recently fixed my credit, i had some challenging times around 2012 with my divorce and the cards that i had. My credit score now is at 738, i recently took a 14 point hit due to applying for a new card and my utilization went from 1% to 11%. As of now i have 2 cards opened in 8/21. I have a discover it which has a 4000 dollar cl. And an amex blue cash which had a 2k limit, and i just did a CLI to 5k 3 days ago. The most recent card i opened was a citi double cash card which i got approved for with a 14,600 dollar limit and that was opened last friday,i have still yet to get the card. So this is my delimma i want a chase card but back in 2012 it was a card i defulted on,everything has been fixed on my credit report and that card no longer shows up/reports. The last thing i saw was a dispute with them on my credit report in 2016. Do you think if i apply with chase they will deny me a credit card due to my default back in 2012 even though nothing is on my credit report at this point with them? I dont know what kind of deep dives they do on there end and what they keep on record and for what period of time. I dont want to apply and get a hard inquiry and be denied. Also i want one other cash back card if you guys have any good suggestions on cards that are "visa" that would be great. I am only missing a visa in my wallet at this point. Also i most likely wont be applying for the chase card until 6 months out so sometime in june. Thanks for all your help.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Card Application Question

Chase has a long memory. Just because a default is not on your report does not mean a thing to Chase. They have internal records and usually will not approve someone who defaulted with them in the past. You can try but be prepared for a decline.

Thanks

Mark

Message 2 of 11
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Primalorbit wrote:

I am going to try and make this short and sweet. I recently fixed my credit, i had some challenging times around 2012 with my divorce and the cards that i had. My credit score now is at 738, i recently took a 14 point hit due to applying for a new card and my utilization went from 1% to 11%. As of now i have 2 cards opened in 8/21. I have a discover it which has a 4000 dollar cl. And an amex blue cash which had a 2k limit, and i just did a CLI to 5k 3 days ago. The most recent card i opened was a citi double cash card which i got approved for with a 14,600 dollar limit and that was opened last friday,i have still yet to get the card.

So this is my delimma i want a chase card but back in 2012 it was a card i defulted on,everything has been fixed on my credit report and that card no longer shows up/reports. The last thing i saw was a dispute with them on my credit report in 2016. Do you think if i apply with chase they will deny me a credit card due to my default back in 2012 even though nothing is on my credit report at this point with them? I dont know what kind of deep dives they do on there end and what they keep on record and for what period of time. I dont want to apply and get a hard inquiry and be denied. Also i want one other cash back card if you guys have any good suggestions on cards that are "visa" that would be great. I am only missing a visa in my wallet at this point. Also i most likely wont be applying for the chase card until 6 months out so sometime in june. Thanks for all your help.

Hi and welcome to the forums, @Primalorbit

When you say "fixed" do you mean you paid them back or did the chargeoff fall off your reports? I ask because Chase will go back many years on their internal records to see if you have ever had any negative priors with them. If it has since been paid off your chances sit better than if you just let the debt come off your reports because Chase has a very long memory with this. In either case the only way to know is to apply and find out which will take a few hardpulls most of the time. They'll let you know if you get declined due to a prior relationship issue. You can possibly recon the denial if that happens either way but you'll have better chances if you paid it off. YMMV as always

As for another cashback card that's Visa flavored I would take a look at the Bank of America Cash Rewards card. The earning structure is very flexible and no AF to speak of. With your scores I wouldn't seeing you have much issues though the number of apps you have gotten approved for might raise some flags. If the same plan applies to waiting six months in June if Chase is a no go then I would do that for this card as well

Message 3 of 11
Primalorbit

The chase card was charged off, it was never paid back actually, seems like i should just stay away. I am just curious,it seems like if you ever default with them,you are pretty much blacklisted forever. This happened back in 2012.

Message 4 of 11
pakratus
Contributor

I had a chargeoff in 2004, they denied me for the Amazon Visa in January 2021.  "Recent charge off..."

Message 5 of 11
Primalorbit

Wow thats wild, thats a super long time ago, its all good. I will move from them tons of other companies to go to.

Message 6 of 11
jcooks
Established Contributor

I had a CO with Chase almost 10 years ago and settled for less with the debt collector.  April 2021, I applied for the Chase Freedom Flex and was instantly denied.  Took me 2 recon calls and was finally approved for $700.  A few months later (guessing 3 months after?) they gave me an auto CLI to 1200.  Exactly 6 months and 1 day after, I applied for the CSP and was instantly approved for 12.7k.  A month later, I applied for the Hyatt card and had 3 attempts at recon.  First 2 came back as too many new accounts, last one also had a line for "Delinquency or other derogatory relationship with our bank".  So they do remember even after getting back in with them.  

It would really come down to how bad you want to get back in with Chase.  On the recon calls, I stressed how I wanted to re-establish a relationship with them.  The only difference is that I did repay them back.  Not sure how that will affect their decision with you.

Message 7 of 11
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

As others have mentioned, Chase has an extremely long memory and they're more than happy to remind you of it.

It can be tough to get back in with them but not impossible. There are other players that can accomplished most of what Chase has to offer.

With the exception of Hyatt and Southwest, you can have access to everything else Chase offers in a round about way from other lenders.

Some would say United but they're part of Star Alliance and there are more than enough way to score a spot on a Star Alliance member than relying on United miles.

Good luck OP as you navigate this space and find the right lenders to fit your profile and your spending needs.
Message 8 of 11
SifiUSa
Valued Member

It is true that Chase has a long memory but it is possible to get another chance with them. I defaulted in 2012 with Chase with 2 CC business Ink. The debt was settled with a 1099 and a bad report on credit. I fixed my credit and today my score is 827 with Exp and 728 with Trans & Equifax. In Feb 2022, after the 5/24 limit went to 3/24 I applied for the new Ink Business( 9 Feb) and was approved for 25K! On the 23 Feb applied for the Ultimate and was approved for 23.4K ! Of course, none were instant approval but 30 days message. It looks like it's definitely possible to have a second chance from them. I do have a 150k line of revolving credit with credit utilization of 0.3% only. No badies and 17 credit cards. My advice: clean your credit, be under 5/24, have a perfect score, and no utilization with a mortgage also may help . Good luck 

Message 9 of 11
SouthernCredit
Frequent Contributor

I had a Chase card that was IIB in 2009. I never paid them back. In 2019, I had preapprovals for CF, CFU, and CSP pop up in Credit Journey. Instant approval for CSP with nice SL and lowest rate. It's possible to get back in; it just takes time sometimes. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.