Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Flex

tag
CluelessJohn
Contributor

Chase Freedom Flex

I plan to app for the new CFF MC to take advantage of the SUB and the 5% groceries for 12 months for a new card. [I will downgrade my Amex BCP to a BCE when the AF becomes due.]  I'm 3/24 with all 3 about 22 months old.  My history with Chase and my overall credit profile is solid.

After reading this post, I might have an issue.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Credit-limit-with-one-lender-bank/td-p/6129788

Combined, my existing Chase cards (Freedom-$30K; Amazon Prime $8.2K) are a little over 50% of my reported income.  On top of that, I have a Chase auto loan balance of $10K that will run out in 15 months.  I really don't see using the CF much going forward unless my spending aligns in a particular quarter, so I am more than willing to slash that limit and move it to a CFF.  I'm inclined to approach Chase proactively on this via a private message before I app.  The other approach is just do the app and react to what happens in a "reconsideration" process.

I would appreciate some feedback on what people think is the better route.

BOA (platinum rewards): Unlimited Visa ($25K), CCR1 ($15K), CCR2 ($24K); Chase: Freedom OG ($15K), Freedom Flex ($9K), Amazon Prime ($8K), Freedom Unlimited ($15); USAA Signature Visa ($20K); AMEX BCE ($30K); Citi: Custom Cash 1 ($20.5K), Custom Cash 2 ($5K); Discover It ($7.5K); USBank Cash Plus ($15K); WF Active Cash ($8K)
FICO 8 ~825+
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom Flex

I would leave it be and see what Chase does with the application. Maybe they'll approve you and won't have to do anything at all. Should the limit of your new CFF not be to your liking then a simple SM or phone call can reallocate limits to fit your needs

If it goes to manual review then you can proactively ask them to shift limits around to accommodate the approval process. This is what my friend did when she applied for a Chase card a few months ago. Agent mentioned her total CL with Chase and she offered to take limit from another card to get an approval

Message 2 of 10
JNA1
Valued Contributor

This Revamped Freedom Flex is 1st time any Chase card has really been attractive to me. I hope to get this one when I get under 5/24 again.
Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $608,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 5/31/24- $21,590.43
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 3 of 10
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

I would leave it be and see what Chase does with the application. Maybe they'll approve you and won't have to do anything at all. Should the limit of your new CFF not be to your liking then a simple SM or phone call can reallocate limits to fit your needs

If it goes to manual review then you can proactively ask them to shift limits around to accommodate the approval process. This is what my friend did when she applied for a Chase card a few months ago. Agent mentioned her total CL with Chase and she offered to take limit from another card to get an approval

This is the exact approach to take.   It's also the approach to take if you are denied - call in an request a reconsideration and if the UW does not suggest shifting over limits speak up and offer yourself have limits shifted from one of your existing cards.  As simplynoir mentioned your only goal is to get the card - it's straightforward to shift limits around between your personal cards to your satisfactiona after the fact.

(9/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 4 of 10
CluelessJohn
Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

If it goes to manual review then you can proactively ask them to shift limits around to accommodate the approval process. This is what my friend did when she applied for a Chase card a few months ago. Agent mentioned her total CL with Chase

and she offered to take limit from another card to get an approval

This is the exact approach to take.   It's also the approach to take if you are denied - call in an request a reconsideration and if the UW does not suggest shifting over limits speak up and offer yourself have limits shifted from one of your existing cards.  As simplynoir mentioned your only goal is to get the card - it's straightforward to shift limits around between your personal cards to your satisfactiona after the fact.

Appreciate the replies.  Will post the outcome when finalized.

BOA (platinum rewards): Unlimited Visa ($25K), CCR1 ($15K), CCR2 ($24K); Chase: Freedom OG ($15K), Freedom Flex ($9K), Amazon Prime ($8K), Freedom Unlimited ($15); USAA Signature Visa ($20K); AMEX BCE ($30K); Citi: Custom Cash 1 ($20.5K), Custom Cash 2 ($5K); Discover It ($7.5K); USBank Cash Plus ($15K); WF Active Cash ($8K)
FICO 8 ~825+
Message 5 of 10
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Good luck, and please do follow up.

(9/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I recently apped for the Freedom, about 6 days ago, I was approved for less than my two other cards at $7,600. So I don't think it will be a problem as long as you're not wanting a pretty high CL. Conversely my other two are the Sapphire $14K and CFU $11K with reported income at $58K.

Message 7 of 10
CluelessJohn
Contributor

@Anonymous 

Thanks, that's good information to know.  I may not app until early Oct.  I'd be thrilled if I got $7,600 and honestly just want to get the 3rd card and then reallocate the total CL I have with Chase.  From what I've read now, my chances are pretty decent.

FICO 8 ~825+
Message 8 of 10
CluelessJohn
Contributor

I apped for the CFF yesterday.  Before I did, I conformed income reported to Chase to my 2019 tax return which resulted a slight income reduction since I apped for the Amazon Prime card ~ 27 months ago.  I apped while logged into the site, and when I hit submit I got a screen asking me if I wanted to add other sources of income.  I clicked "No".  A handful of seconds later. the next screen said I was approved with a limit of .......... $800.  Thankfully, I had the knowledge from this board about reallocations.  I sent a Secure Message proposing a reallocation and I received a response this  morning that my proposed reallocation would be effective immediately.  I took my original Freedom from $30 to $15K; bumped my Amazon Prime to $9K; and jumped the Flex to $15K.  I'm pleased.

Chase pulled TU and EX.  My total Chase line is 60% of reported income (excluding the auto loan).  Thanks again to those of you who provided insight.

FICO 8 ~825+
Message 9 of 10
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Congratulations on your approval. Feel free to start a new thread in the approvals form if you wish to do so

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.