Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Unlimited CLI Strategy

tag
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Re: Spooking Chase Freedom Unlimited

I agree with @blindambition    Lots of Spend, Lots of Big Payments Smiley Very Happy  (how I got my large Auto CLI) Smiley Very Happy

Message 11 of 24
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom Unlimited CLI Strategy

@CA4Closure wrote:

UPDATE: Discover increased my CL to $45,000! 

I have spent $2,000 on firearm/ammo purchases. Bought a new 40 caliber and 44 magnum firearm with ammo. Paid this off a few days ago when my payment was due. I am refurbishing my garage adding slat wall for my tools, trimmer, edger, chainsaw, etc. and will be putting about $1,500 on this card before December 1st. I previously rennovated my garage this summer ripping everything out from the studs. I used my NFCU credit cards for this project that set me back $10,000. Yes, I added more electrical outlets, drywall, workbench and new cabinets for storage. New lighting plus a flat screen LED TV (my man-cave). New epoxy non-skid floor!

If Chase does not see this increase in spending and does not reciprocate by giving me a decent CL, I will revert back to NFCU Cash Rewards and Go Rewards cards as my daily drivers. 

I just dont understand how someone with a high income, high credit score, guns ammo, can possinly fear a hpSmiley Wink. I get experimentation but by just using a harmless hp which fades after a year scoring wise abd is ghost after 2 years, Chase more than likely would give a much higher limit. 2 months of slightly higher usage probably wont affect their decision but best of luck on getting Chase to bend to your whimSmiley Happy

Message 12 of 24
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

Re: Spooking Chase Freedom Unlimited

@blindambition wrote:

Good luck! Chase does like spend, and large spend has triggered CLI. Usually on newer cards. Others go years with no CLI love.

That would be me...$3500 CL since May 2015. NO ❤️ 😒

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 13 of 24
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom Unlimited CLI Strategy

@CA4Closure wrote:

Three years ago I applied for this card to boost my FICO score and was rewarded with a $2,500 credit limit that has not risen since. So I sock drawered the card. I last used this card in March 2020 and paid it off. 

I am going to do an experiment and will start using this card as my main driver for November and December 2020 that will put at least $8,000 spend on this card. Of course, I will be paying this down every two weeks due to the low CL. And since it has new 3x and 2x rewards, I am going to take advantage of this! 

I want to see if this triggers Chase to give me a decent CL. Discover and Citi (Costco) both has hiked my CL's to $37,000 and $38,000 respectively. 

I don't think there is such a thing as a winning CLI strategy with Chase, but what you describe sounds like it will give you your best shot.

My experience, I have 3 cards with Chase ranging from 3 years to 4 years old.  The only CLI I have ever gotten was an auto CLI on a card with an 8k limit. My typical monthly spend on the card was in the neighborhood of $300. One month I spent around $2500 on it. A month or so later I got a $2500 CLI to $10,500.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 14 of 24
CA4Closure
Regular Contributor

Chase Freedom Unlimited - Strategy That Didn't Work for CLI!

I have been a Chase Freedom Unlimited account holder for 5 years with a CLI of $2,500. They have never increased my credit limit so I used it sparingly. I decided to do a test starting in November 2020. I switched all charges to Chase Freedom Unlimited and spent on average $8,000 a month ($24,000 total) November, December and January.

Since my credit line was low, I charged $2,000 paid that off within a week and made additional charges so that my utilization never exceeded 90%. Airline tickets, motorcycle accessories, fuel for boat, drone accessories, new firearms, ammunition, hotel stays and more were put on this card. 

I called Chase to see if they would raise my credit line to match my other Navy Federal, Discover, Citi Costco cards. All of these cards have at least $27,000 each. You would think because I spent over $24,000 on their card they would give me at least a $20,000 credit line, right? My FICO score is 848, 836, 831 across all three bureaus. NOPE! So guess what card is now sitting in my sock drawer? Yes, Chase Freedom Unlimited. Navy Federal and Citi Costco will get my spend from here on out. Discover will still be my card for business activity. 

This year I planned on pruning a few of my cards down to a bare minimum. Last year I got rid of my Capital One cards (2) and this year it just may be Chase Freedom Unlimited. 

Message 15 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom Unlimited - Strategy That Didn't Work for CLI!

@CA4Closure wrote:

. You would think because I spent over $24,000 on their card they would give me at least a $20,000 credit line, right? My FICO score is 848, 836, 831 across all three bureaus.

No, I wouldn't think that!  Way too much of an increase from your previous limit.   If it was that easy, people could grow their limits rapidly on every card simply by focussing spending on each in turn (which probably does work for some issuers, some of the time!).  Did Chase give a reason for the denial?  We know they are adverse to giving CLIs in most cases anyway.

Message 16 of 24
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

With a clean profile, good scores, and not a lot of recent credit-seeking, there shouldn't be an issue getting a CLI from Chase within reason.  They are not known for doing many multiples of a line, though, so a 1000% or more increase is unrealistic.  I've had a couple of successful doublings.  (Last 2 requests took cards from $14k to $28k and from $9.7k to $19.4k.)

Did they perform a hard inquiry and send a denial letter already?  Their denial reasons are usually quite transparent.  It's also worth noting that Chase uses their own internal risk scores as well, and if your card had been reported to the credit bureaus with very high utilization during these past few months that may have actually worked against you even if it didn't substantially reduce your FICO 8 scores.

Message 17 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting a 10x increase isn't realistic, but I was hoping you'd report a boost to around $5k. Also, your spending activity alone isn't enough to get them to boost it. With your excellent credit scores, I'm thinking you income is a factor holding your increases back. Have you updated it lately?

Message 18 of 24
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

I have 2 Chase CC's and have only gotten the standard auto-CLI a few months after having each card. Both were minor increases <$2K. Never got an auto-increase again. I did a HP CLI on one a few years ago and passed some of that limit to the newer one so that they both had limits over $10K. Considering doing another HP CLI.

Does anyone know if I could use the same HP to request an increase on Freedom and Freedom Unlimited? 

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 19 of 24
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@SecretAzure wrote:

I have 2 Chase CC's and have only gotten the standard auto-CLI a few months after having each card. Both were minor increases <$2K. Never got an auto-increase again. I did a HP CLI on one a few years ago and passed some of that limit to the newer one so that they both had limits over $10K. Considering doing another HP CLI.

Does anyone know if I could use the same HP to request an increase on Freedom and Freedom Unlimited? 

Each request will require its own HP. Chase never reuses an HP. Always understand CLI request may also result in multiple pulls too. Not just one. CLI also falls under 5/24 policy.

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.